Why become a member? ×

Crass things pop and rock stars say/write in public, part 1 of many no doubt

Eight years ago this month Justin Bieber was in Amsterdam and made a visit to the Anne Frank house. On leaving he signed the visitors book writing "Truly inspiring to be able to come here. Anne was a great girl. Hopefully she would have been a belieber."

In the annals of acts of crassness committed by 'stars' this has to be at the top. I mean, where do you start? Any other anecdotes of embarrassingly stupid things they've done or said in public

• Sad 1

Eric Clapton - racism/anti-semitism (though apparently he apologised in more recent years, blaming it on drink and drugs).

Van Morrison - anti-lockdown diatribes and calling the health minister "dangerous"

Morrissey - where do you start?

• Like 9

Here are some gems from Morrissey

Said at 2009 Coachella - '“The smell of burning animals is making me sick. I can smell burning flesh…and I hope to God it’s human.”

What he said about dance music in Details mag in 1992 -'It’s the refuge for the mentally deficient. It’s made by dull people for dull people'...of which I'm one it seems. Can't actually think of anything more dull than the music of the Smiths and his own solo 'career'.

In an interview with poet Simon Armitage in The Guardian 2010 - “Did you see the thing on the news about their treatment of animals and animal welfare? Absolutely horrific. You can’t help but feel that the Chinese are a subspecies.” 

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Eric Clapton - racism/anti-semitism (though apparently he apologised in more recent years, blaming it on drink and drugs).

Van Morrison - anti-lockdown diatribes and calling the health minister "dangerous"

Morrissey - where do you start?

A trio of the biggest Canutes ever barfed up by the music biz. Not only did Morrison come out with diatribes he wrote anti-lockdown songs, one sung by Crapton. Here it is if you want to put yourself through it..

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

A trio of the biggest Canutes ever barfed up by the music biz. Not only did Morrison come out with diatribes he wrote anti-lockdown songs, one sung by Crapton. Here it is if you want to put yourself through it..

I'll give that a miss and go and Listen to Adam and the Ants instead.

14 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

6 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

I'll give that a miss and go and Listen to Adam and the Ants instead.

I'm struggling to think of anything I'd rather not listen to. Even BrokeNCYDE would be preferable.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

Jerry Lee Lewis - “I can assure you that my wife is all woman, even though she looks kinda young.”

about the wife he said was 15.

Although she was actually 13 and his cousin.

550F2314-F504-4D92-9746-DD318DAA4552.jpeg

Edited by Bunion