Why become a member? ×

New things from Mark Bass?

ossyrocks

On 18/07/2022 at 14:56, Muzz said:

All rear ported, all with tweeters...*sigh*...😕

I would like front ported bass cabinets too….the new cabs in a 2x12 are shorter and wider than older 2x12 options, I would like to see a side front port on those.

1 minute ago, fretmeister said:

10Khz can be too high (as I've often complained about in the past) but maybe they'll change the Q. a 10K centre could run from 5Khs to 15Khz if it was designed that way.

This has been the HI eq on many Marbass heads for 15+ years. I find it perfectly usable, but rarely do.

20220112_172244.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

A lot too high IMHO, but my friend @Passinwindmay disagree.

Kinda shame, the now discontinued Little Marcus head had finally nailed it for me in terms of EQ centre points:

ULTRALOW: Level ±16 dB (Freq. 65Hz)

LOW: Level ±16 dB (Freq. 180Hz)

MID: Level ±16 dB (Freq. 500 Hz)

HIGH MID: Level ±16 dB (Freq. 1.4 KHz)

HIGH: Level ±16 dB (Freq. 3.8 KHz)

OLD SCHOOL: Variable LOW PASS From 20KHz to 200Hz

MILLERIZER: 5-12 KHz BAND PASS Filter (Level 0 /+10 dB)

But then maybe Marcus Miller knows a thing or two about getting a great bass sound, eh?

2 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

A lot too high IMHO, but my friend @Passinwindmay disagree.

That would depend a good bit on how they spec their frequency response curves. Is 10K the peak, the 3dB down point, or the mid point at full boost? And what is the peaking frequency at 1/4 boost, the most many of us would probably use? And then the other end of the graph might be more important to many of us, where do we start hearing that control acting? I personally don't want to hear a lot of/any  1K just from boosting my treble control, but a +3dB point well below that is not uncommon in some popular designs.  I've built good sounding EQs for bass that peak at 30KHz and others that peak at 3K, as @Sparky Marksays the bandwidth matters a lot too. 😉

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

The AG1000 has a really good EQ as well. Very useful.

Be amazing if MB gave us the option of which head we had in the combos. I've asked them if they would consider doing that, but they obviously see it as a less smart move than me, haha! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Just read a spec on one of the heads, new internals and filters, ABS chassis, and made back in Italy which is surprising. Seems they have been busy future proofing the range.

The launch went heavy in environmental factors and they calculate making them in Italy resulted in a far lower enviro impact.

No doubt helps control the IP on the new cab material too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fretmeister said:

The launch went heavy in environmental factors and they calculate making them in Italy resulted in a far lower enviro impact.

No doubt helps control the IP on the new cab material too.

It it special enough to move them up from being  'affordable' to 'sharp intake of breath'?  It's a bit like  a Ford Mondeo becoming a 'Vignale' edition and costing the same as a BMW

• Like 1

On 18/11/2022 at 17:25, fretmeister said:

On the launch vid they did mention that the combo heads would now have top plates so it looks like they are ok with the idea of swapping the heads.

Just a shame we'd have to buy 2 things to get the 1 we wanted!

The heads in the combos look tiny though from what I've seen? Ie not so swappable with their normal sized heads.

If markbass did a stu hamm amp combo (or a stu hamm amp size swappable combo) I'd be all over it.

Edited by la bam

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

It it special enough to move them up from being  'affordable' to 'sharp intake of breath'?  It's a bit like  a Ford Mondeo becoming a 'Vignale' edition and costing the same as a BMW

The prices have gone up - but I don't think they've really gone up any more than any other inflation affected item.

Some DG pedals are now £100 more expensive than when I bought them last!

11 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Just read a spec on one of the heads, new internals and filters, ABS chassis, and made back in Italy which is surprising. Seems they have been busy future proofing the range.

I'm hoping that Ashdown will bring production back to the UK for both environmental and ethical reasons.

7 hours ago, fretmeister said:

The prices have gone up - but I don't think they've really gone up any more than any other inflation affected item.

Some DG pedals are now £100 more expensive than when I bought them last!

I never realy paid attention to Markbass so don't know the privious prices but 899 € for a 4x10 at 16kg realy don't seem too expensive to me.

Moreover when you see what GR, Vanderkley or other big name ask for a ultra light cab.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/11/2022 at 11:14, Al Krow said:

Anyone had a chance to try out the MB 58R CMD121 Pure?

Liking the spec a lot, particularly the sub 10kg weight & 300W (500W with an extension cab) power, and a much better set of EQ centre points on the amp-head vs the old LM II/IIIs, other than the treble which is still at 10kHz, which seems a little high still to be usable.

Choking on the list price though! 

I don’t think they’ll be over here until January. 

Looks like a great spec though!

On 20/11/2022 at 07:27, Shiveringbass said:

I never realy paid attention to Markbass so don't know the privious prices but 899 € for a 4x10 at 16kg realy don't seem too expensive to me.

Moreover when you see what GR, Vanderkley or other big name ask for a ultra light cab.

To be fair, Markbass cabs are not in th same class as Vanderkley and although I was not that impressed with the GR cab at the South West Bass Bash, it was better than any Markbass cab I  have heard.