Why become a member? ×

The Taste for Tube Amps

Guest BassAdder27

I'm assuming that fan noise is a major issue when playing at lowish volumes? In that scenario massive power isn't a requirement so I'd recommend fanless Trace Elliot AH200 and SMX250 heads. Used with sufficient speakers (2×210, 2x12, 410, 2x15 for instance) they are perfectly giggable too as the output ratings seem to be quite conservative.

• 2 weeks later...

I've also just discovered the Ashdown CTM30 Little Stubby. I love the 'feedback' control which lets you dial in a gorgeously thick vintage tube tone. That's the sort of sound I have in my head. I wonder if I could run the DI out of this into the effects return of my LM3 to get more power (when needed) while still retaining the full tube tone? Probably a stupid thought. It surely can't be that easy!

Edited by ikay

41 minutes ago, ikay said:

I've also just discovered the Ashdown CTM30 Little Stubby. I love the 'feedback' control which lets you dial in a gorgeously thick vintage tube tone. That's the sort of sound I have in my head. I wonder if I could run the DI out of this into the effects return of my LM3 to get more power (when needed) while still retaining the full tube tone? Probably a stupid thought. It surely can't be that easy!

Depends on where the 'feedback' phenomenon is generated relative to the DI. Sounds like it's an output tube thing. If the DI comes out of the preamp you're out of luck. If it monitors the speaker output you might be in luck.

Next question is if the thing runs without a cab connected like some of the little American ones...

If not you're going to have to run a cab off the LS along with the LM3 rig.

A better plan might be to invest in a big PA and simply mic your LS rig.

Edited by Downunderwonder

14 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Depends on where the 'feedback' phenomenon is generated relative to the DI.

Here's what it says in the LS user manual. The DI out uses a TRS jack though and the effects return of the LM3 uses a TS jack which might be a problem.

A DI is provided on the rear panel , connection is made via a TRS type jack socket .This is transformer derived from the output and as such will have all the adjustments made with the tone controls , all effects in use and some influence from the speaker in use. The level obtained is dependent on playing volume. But as a general rule is suitable for line level (0,775V).

The DI is totally isolated and as such may be used as a line out (note a TRS jack MUST be used and you can obtain an in phase or out of phase signal) Note That the amplifier must always have a Load connected. This can be a speaker or a load box for silent recording.

10 minutes ago, ikay said:

Here's what it says in the LS user manual. The DI out uses a TRS jack though and the effects return of the LM3 uses a TS jack which might be a problem.

A DI is provided on the rear panel , connection is made via a TRS type jack socket .This is transformer derived from the output and as such will have all the adjustments made with the tone controls , all effects in use and some influence from the speaker in use. The level obtained is dependent on playing volume. But as a general rule is suitable for line level (0,775V).

The DI is totally isolated and as such may be used as a line out (note a TRS jack MUST be used and you can obtain an in phase or out of phase signal) Note That the amplifier must always have a Load connected. This can be a speaker or a load box for silent recording.

A Barefaced 110 for the SB and a Quilter amp for a BF 410 then. Stand well back. Never mind the Markbass.

On 29/06/2022 at 09:28, fretmeister said:

For an extra few pennies a silent fan could have been used.

Such a shame. Was a great sounding amp, but it had to go.

This is taken from my build diary and posted earlier today. I post it again here as I think it is relevant.

"I have done some experimentation myself with fans and the noise. .............. turbulence caused by the fan is what helps the cooling. Of course, turbulence means noise BUT I found that most of the noise is caused by vibration. Sadly the metal used on most amps is a great sounding board and makes the noise problem worse. I have managed to reduce the noise on fans on some amps using rubber mountings from AKASA and you can get low noise fans from companies such as Noctua.

The Noctua Fans are well made but to get the lowest noise you have to use an adapter that reduces the speed, probably by reducing the voltage applied to the fan. Noctua do take care to reduce vibrational noise as far as possible but you pay for this extra and the fancy packaging."

In short there is no such thing as a silent fan but by selecting the airflow/voltage carefully and reducing the vibration transferred to the chassis you can reduce noise a lot. Also two low spead fans may be better than on fast fan but surely the old Stage/Studio switch that simply switched the fan off could work well?

I already have a DHA VT1 valve preamp and run that into my LM. Great pedal and adds some nice harmonic richness and valve character to the sound. I've also toyed with the idea of a hybrid head. But both of these (valve pedal or hybrid head) still seem to lack the full-fat 'valviness' delivered by the output stage of a full-valve amp. I'm thinking that taking a DI from the output stage of a small full-valve amp like the Stubby into a Class-D power amp might do the trick. I'd cut to the chase and buy a proper 100W-200W valve head if it wasn't for them being so stupidly heavy! Or, in the case of boutique lightweight all-valve heads like the Pure Tone Offset (which I love), so expensive!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ikay said:

How about the TRS jack out on the LS DI into the TS of the effects return - the TS would short the RS connections on the TRS ...?

I contacted Ashdown to check this and anything that shorts out the RS connections on the Stubby DI would likely set fire to the amp!! Glad I asked 😵. It would need a modified TRS to TS cable. I have wiring details so if anyone needs to know just drop me a message.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

I’m going to try using a Fender Dual Showman with the 4x12 cab. Heavy, but could produce an amazing tone for classic rock. I’ll report after using it.

I’m sure it will 😄

8 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

I'm sure it will only produce the glorious tone for the lucky few that are in front of it. Everyone else gets chunks of mids and highs missing, degrading to just the woof when too far off axis. Comb filtering is a bastard.

I guess I don’t know enough about this to understand your point. Specifically, how does this Fender rig produce more of a comb filtering effect than other 4x whatever cabs? I’ve always used single speaker rigs before.

Just to open this up to everyone- Stoneham are interested in making a small-footprint 100W bass valve head.

I’ve spoken to a few people today and am gauging interest - it might be that the economies of (small) scale production may assist. May not of course, I might be taking bollocks!

FWIW I’m thinking Ashdown Little Bastard size and features but 100W - likely 2x KT88s.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, dclaassen said:

I’m going to try using a Fender Dual Showman with the 4x12 cab. Heavy, but could produce an amazing tone for classic rock. I’ll report after using it.

Make sure the cabinet you use matches the output impedance of the amplifier. IIRC that's 4Ω.

4 hours ago, Merton said:

Just to open this up to everyone- Stoneham are interested in making a small-footprint 100W bass valve head.

I’ve spoken to a few people today and am gauging interest - it might be that the economies of (small) scale production may assist. May not of course, I might be taking bollocks!

FWIW I’m thinking Ashdown Little Bastard size and features but 100W - likely 2x KT88s.

I am potentially in, although I am waiting on Handbox ....

• Like 1