Why become a member? ×

Abbatar

It's clever. A bit better than watching an old gig at a cinema but not as good as seeing them properly live and feeding off the atmosphere in front of them. I won't be going. BUT if they could do Hendrix, The Doors, etc. in a similar "better than cinema" way and at a reasonable cost I might consider it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 27/05/2022 at 17:03, NancyJohnson said:

Can someone explain to me what you're likely to see if one were to attend one of these shows?  I've seen a brief 50 second promo clip from the song Mama Mia and that's it.  I'm interested, but I will not be going.

I couldn't give a rat's bottom as to the technology behind it; at the end of the day whatever is up on stage isn't them and irrespective of how they've achieved the motion capture and do the projection isn't it just the equivalent of watching a film or video game?  I just took a look at tickets; this thing is running until May 2023 (at least) and tickets are £40-£200, five days a week (Mon/Thu/Fri) with two shows a day at weekends.  Jesus.  But hey, we're all getting a £400 fuel rebate, so what better to spend it on, eh?  Who needs to keep warm.

The sadness (beyond the fact that people are shelling out a fortune to watch) is that it's almost certain Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley are rubbing their hands together and going, 'Oh man, do you realise we can sack the two imposters and still  make a fortune into our eighties and we won't have to put these ridiculous outfits again.'

Last night Kiss played their last ever show.  That said, I will draw your attention to the final paragraph of my post from 18 months ago. 

If only I was a betting man.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Last night Kiss played their last ever show.  That said, I will draw your attention to the final paragraph of my post from 18 months ago. 

If only I was a betting man.

I found this all felt very strange over the weekend, but maybe that's just me.

Having grown up listening to Kiss, and seeing them on their final UK dates in the summer, I found myself thinking a lot about their final ever gig, and feeling fairly sad and reflective about it, but also understanding that all things have to end etc.

But then literally finding out at the same moment that they were going to continue as avatars kind of threw me - sort of took away the moment of saying goodbye, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I'm glad I got to see the real band. I doubt I'd pay big bucks to see a virtual version. 

Having seen and loved the ABBA avatar show I knew KISS would be next as soon as I saw it. It makes perfect sense and I look forward to seeing it (though I imagine it will be based in Vegas, rather than as a touring show). 🤘🤘

Classical orchestras (and soloists...) are still playing, 'live', the music of yesteryear by the likes of Mozart, Bach, Dvorak etc. Could we not consider this as being in the 'tribute' corner, and have 'tribute' bands playing stuff from Kiss, Abba or whoever..? T'would be a 'live' performance, at least, with the option of having 'real' interaction with the audience. Just a thought. :rWNVV2D:

22 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Classical orchestras (and soloists...) are still playing, 'live', the music of yesteryear by the likes of Mozart, Bach, Dvorak etc. Could we not consider this as being in the 'tribute' corner, and have 'tribute' bands playing stuff from Kiss, Abba or whoever..? T'would be a 'live' performance, at least, with the option of having 'real' interaction with the audience. Just a thought. :rWNVV2D:

That already happens.
This is something new/different using technology.

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Classical orchestras (and soloists...) are still playing, 'live', the music of yesteryear by the likes of Mozart, Bach, Dvorak etc. :rWNVV2D:

I thought the original, while not as technically advanced, was at least a better experience. None of that 'classical music starts with class' snobbery, but just contemporary tunes for those that want to enjoy them!

• 2 weeks later...