Why become a member? ×

Please god someone help me choose...

JoeMischief

1 hour ago, JoeMischief said:

I tried that cunning ploy and it's a complete range of p and j bassists. To be fair she may not know exactly what she'll want to play until she explores the bass. If she just liked a few bands or whatever it'd be pretty simple. Nice idea though. Thinking along the same lines as me.

If bassists in her favourite bands often have P or J basses then you are lucky because you can get a precision or a jazz bass, or a precision with an additional J pickup (a PJ). They are the safest bet in terms of sound and aesthetics. To date they are the most commomly used basses, and you can pretty much make them work in any kind of music, they come in many brands and many versions, you can get great value for money, and I believe they sell fairly quickly if need be.

The only risk was if she specifically did not like the traditional aesthetic (as in my case when I started at 15 as a metalhead).

Other people are probably better than me for advice. For a beginner I would much rather get a passive bass as you do not want to have to deal with five knobs. And it's not like an advanced player then does need active. Passive is fine, possibly better according to many. On the other hand, many active basses within the budget have an option to switch to passive, as well as a passive tone control, so one can start from there and keep the pream (the "active" part that leads to knob moltiplication) sitting there as a nice to have.

I have tried some jazz basses. They are very flexible in terms of sound and I love them. Still, they are more snappy and less fat and rounf than a precision. Theytend to have slimmer necks which for beginners may be helpful unless they have big hands. I currently have a £150 fretless Harley Benton J that is great but stupidly heavy and you can do better, and a Sire V5 which gets amazing reviews, is just within your budget (I believe some 400something  new) but I never managed to fall in love with it (too much high mids and very chunky frets with which you never touch the wood - not that it is a difect, just not my thing). I also had a Sire V7 fretless for a few days, also super appreciated by bass players, also within your budget and comes fretted as well. I like it more than the V5 (but is active - although with passive switch, and a somewhat weak passive tone control for what I have seen).

Then you have the Squier basses. You can get a Classic Vibe jazz bas 60s (I suggest 60s over 70s as 70s has a slightly more peculiar sound and as we are not even 100% she's a jazz bass person maybe better 60s). Squier is a Fender brand. Fender invented P and J basses. Squer CV are really loved but reportedly quality is inconsistent. I tried one in a shop and I did not like it: lacquered neck and something was not right I am not sure what, I am no expert. But I would give it a second chance.

I would second the reccomendation for a Jaguar CV (looks like a classic Fender bass, is PJ so superversatile, and 32" size is easy to start). On the other hand I personally would feel very unconfortable giving an adult as a first bass a bass that was not "standard" (so 34" scale), unless they asked for it.

As for precision basses, other people can help more than me. Even there though my impression is tah Squier CV  and Sire are the most recurrent names for a P within your budget (for new), unless you want to go for a different aesthetic.

Hope this has been helpful. Finally: the advice I wish someone had given me when I started: budget some £50 a professional setup. That could make a big difference. And if the tech/luthier strongly reccommends, have the strings changed as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OliverBlackman said:

If it must be a surprise, then you can’t go wrong with a Fender P bass. I must have gone through around 15 basses in my first 10 years playing. I tried loads but the one that stuck was a £350 P bass I got for my 16th birthday. Maybe find one in a colour that is a bit different or fits her tastes? Or if you think a smaller scale could suit better then there is also the mustang range.

Hi Oliver.

That might well be the way to go. Thanks for the advice.

29 minutes ago, Paolo85 said:

If bassists in her favourite bands often have P or J basses then you are lucky because you can get a precision or a jazz bass, or a precision with an additional J pickup (a PJ). They are the safest bet in terms of sound and aesthetics. To date they are the most commomly used basses, and you can pretty much make them work in any kind of music, they come in many brands and many versions, you can get great value for money, and I believe they sell fairly quickly if need be.

The only risk was if she specifically did not like the traditional aesthetic (as in my case when I started at 15 as a metalhead).

Other people are probably better than me for advice. For a beginner I would much rather get a passive bass as you do not want to have to deal with five knobs. And it's not like an advanced player then does need active. Passive is fine, possibly better according to many. On the other hand, many active basses within the budget have an option to switch to passive, as well as a passive tone control, so one can start from there and keep the pream (the "active" part that leads to knob moltiplication) sitting there as a nice to have.

I have tried some jazz basses. They are very flexible in terms of sound and I love them. Still, they are more snappy and less fat and rounf than a precision. Theytend to have slimmer necks which for beginners may be helpful unless they have big hands. I currently have a £150 fretless Harley Benton J that is great but stupidly heavy and you can do better, and a Sire V5 which gets amazing reviews, is just within your budget (I believe some 400something  new) but I never managed to fall in love with it (too much high mids and very chunky frets with which you never touch the wood - not that it is a difect, just not my thing). I also had a Sire V7 fretless for a few days, also super appreciated by bass players, also within your budget and comes fretted as well. I like it more than the V5 (but is active - although with passive switch, and a somewhat weak passive tone control for what I have seen).

Then you have the Squier basses. You can get a Classic Vibe jazz bas 60s (I suggest 60s over 70s as 70s has a slightly more peculiar sound and as we are not even 100% she's a jazz bass person maybe better 60s). Squier is a Fender brand. Fender invented P and J basses. Squer CV are really loved but reportedly quality is inconsistent. I tried one in a shop and I did not like it: lacquered neck and something was not right I am not sure what, I am no expert. But I would give it a second chance.

I would second the reccomendation for a Jaguar CV (looks like a classic Fender bass, is PJ so superversatile, and 32" size is easy to start). On the other hand I personally would feel very unconfortable giving an adult as a first bass a bass that was not "standard" (so 34" scale), unless they asked for it.

As for precision basses, other people can help more than me. Even there though my impression is tah Squier CV  and Sire are the most recurrent names for a P within your budget (for new), unless you want to go for a different aesthetic.

Hope this has been helpful. Finally: the advice I wish someone had given me when I started: budget some £50 a professional setup. That could make a big difference. And if the tech/luthier strongly reccommends, have the strings changed as well.

Paolo.

Thanks so much. That's great advice and has really helped. I really appreciate you taking the time out to dive into it with so much detail. Great work.

12 minutes ago, Dov65 said:

There's a Fender Vintera 50's P bass in the for sale thread....490 quid....thats a steal. Its not me selling but I do have one. Good luck

I would second that opinion. I’m not the seller but that’s a lot of bass for the cash. Yamaha BB’s and Sterling Ray 34’s can be found second hand for your budget as well which are great value for money.

Edit: The only caveat being neck width. If a player has smaller hands a J width neck may be more suitable.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tegs07 said:

I would second that opinion. I’m not the seller but that’s a lot of bass for the cash. Yamaha BB’s and Sterling Ray 34’s can be found second hand for your budget as well which are great value for money.

Edit: The only caveat being neck width. If a player has smaller hands a J width neck may be more suitable.

I am leaning a bit towards a j neck. Thought that might be a bit more manageable. Also let's be honest IF she at a later date wants to a p neck and finds it manageable she can at a later date once she's commited more to bass.

20 hours ago, JoeMischief said:

Hi Pete.

That's an epic video. Thanks. I think the predecessor to the Hohner Jack Custom I was eying was in there. It was being played at the same time as another bass so my untrained ear couldn't differentiate.

I had listened to the Hohner Jack Custom and the Ibanez RB850 played on YouTube and to me they both sound great. I was happy until I was told I'd got the choice wrong, too niche etc. Both J as far as I can see, one passive/active and one passive.

Trouble is for me everything sounds fantastic. I love the sound of a bass full stop.

Like choosing clothes or jewellery. Easy for yourself as you known what you like. On someone elses behalf no so easy.

You might have found Bass Sounds 1 on YT as well 🙂 Decisions, decisions...

4 hours ago, JoeMischief said:

I am leaning a bit towards a j neck. Thought that might be a bit more manageable. Also let's be honest IF she at a later date wants to a p neck and finds it manageable she can at a later date once she's commited more to bass.

Some in-depth reviews of mainstream J basses within your budget. Good reviews in that I do not agree with the guy's conclusions (eg Sire V7 here is probably my favourite) but they matter less than the explainers and the sound tests.
Warning: lots of people here hate the guy, so you might too

Squier CV 70's (this is a 5 string so a bit more issues with neck heaviness than the 4 string you would buy. A Squier CV 60's would be a very similar bass)

https://youtu.be/NBpKtOhW8aM

Squier Paranormal Jazz
https://youtu.be/XOQ42Qrpkgw

Sire V5
https://youtu.be/aIgwvN_zmo8

Sire V3 (active)
https://youtu.be/rqugcRuNU3A

Sire V7 (active)
https://youtu.be/suqGYGrwyCs

I’m going to share an unpopular opinion in the context of the thread - you can’t beat what feels right in your hands (or in this case your daughter’s!)

When I was starting out, I wanted a Jazz Bass. I was obsessed, and nothing else would do. Forget the fact all my favourite bands played P Basses - I didn’t like the look. My uncle took me bass shopping and had me try anything and everything - including the Fender Jazz I was so obsessed with. 

I left with only one bass left on my mind, and reader, it was not the Jazz Bass. It was a Yamaha RBX170. P/J pickups, a fatter-than-Jazz neck, a “modern” look, 24 frets and crucially, a price tag that was £100-£200 less than anything else I played that day. It was the bass that felt right. 

I appreciate that your payment set-up and  the element of surprise means this approach might not work, BUT even if you don’t leave the shop there and then with that exact bass, getting more of a feel for what feels right and will inspire her to keep playing will make such a difference long term. 

Edited by theyellowcar
  • Like 2

On 25/05/2022 at 02:36, JoeMischief said:

I had listened to the Hohner Jack Custom and the Ibanez RB850 played on YouTube and to me they both sound great.

I've had the Hohner and several other headless, and technically still own an RB850 as I lent it to a family member and they're great basses. Sounds like the person at the store you rang was a twit, or a similar word with a different vowel. 'Buy a Fender' is the lazy low IQ way of looking at the purchase question. Depending on her physical stature she might find them physically cumbersome, same with an Ibanez BTB, but the Ibanez SRs are the most comfortable full bodies basses I've ever played. SRs are far more consistent in the neck shape and body than many other brands, so if she likes one of these, a 10yo S/H one will feel more or less the same and you can get a higher model for the same $. I'm also a fan of the newer 3 and 4 series as I like the Powerspan pickups; I have a 4 and a 5 with them.

Just ensure the basses work fine, ie trussrod is OK etc if buying secondhand.

Edited by crazycloud

Admit I haven’t read whole thread, but for a cool chick with a BF in a band I’d go for a second hand Mustang; they’re cool, a bit Indy and easy to play and learn on. They’re short scale so not as much of a handful a P or J, also lighter all of which is handy if you’re used to instruments with a shorter scale. Second choice would be a short scale or medium scale Jaguar for similar reasons 

31 minutes ago, Storky said:

Admit I haven’t read whole thread, but for a cool chick with a BF in a band I’d go for a second hand Mustang; they’re cool, a bit Indy and easy to play and learn on. They’re short scale so not as much of a handful a P or J, also lighter all of which is handy if you’re used to instruments with a shorter scale. Second choice would be a short scale or medium scale Jaguar for similar reasons 

Also... Tina Weymouth. 😎

3 hours ago, Storky said:

Was watching Wet Leg on Jules Holland last night and the bassist playing a very cool looking JMJ signature Mustang I think, which also sound fab in the mix. 

I'd seriously look at Sire, in one of their iterations. About the right price secondhand, hugely flexible sound pallete and very well made. OK they're so good almost everyone has one (uncool), but IMO it's a great starter instrument after the classic P bass clone.

I'd avoid Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace unless you know what you're doing - lots of tat with the v occasional gem.

Edited by lownote

20 hours ago, theyellowcar said:

I’m going to share an unpopular opinion in the context of the thread - you can’t beat what feels right in your hands (or in this case your daughter’s!)

When I was starting out, I wanted a Jazz Bass. I was obsessed, and nothing else would do. Forget the fact all my favourite bands played P Basses - I didn’t like the look. My uncle took me bass shopping and had me try anything and everything - including the Fender Jazz I was so obsessed with. 

I left with only one bass left on my mind, and reader, it was not the Jazz Bass. It was a Yamaha RBX170. P/J pickups, a fatter-than-Jazz neck, a “modern” look, 24 frets and crucially, a price tag that was £100-£200 less than anything else I played that day. It was the bass that felt right. 

I appreciate that your payment set-up and  the element of surprise means this approach might not work, BUT even if you don’t leave the shop there and then with that exact bass, getting more of a feel for what feels right and will inspire her to keep playing will make such a difference long term. 

This, I bought a Epiphone Thunderbird blind for my second bass. It just looked cool and the Darkness had just gone to number 1. What a pile 💩 that was

• Like 1

I'm way down the list of advisors.  Not only is your daughter not my daughter I don't even have and have never had a daughter.  But one thing has struck me about yoof - it loves to be different as long as the different is exactly like everyone else's different. I have a great niece who is totally radical and bleeding edge: so, is woke, vegan, leftwing and in every other way totally like all her friends. Thus, my point is that maybe your daughter would just DIE if she had some cooky bass that was a bit odd thirty years ago.  Find out who her favourite band is and research what their bassist plays.  Then double check it's reliable, playable and holds resale value.  Then buy that for her.