Why become a member? ×

Barefaced - The Compact

Sharkfinger

[b]Product: [/b]BarefacedBass The Compact - [url="http://www.barefacedbass.com/thecompact.html"]http://www.barefacedbass.com/thecompact.html[/url]

[b]Price paid:[/b] £425 including delivery

[b]Features : 10[/b]

Tough one, this: there aren't a lot of features to talk about. In my opinion, simplicity is a very good thing and the features that are there are outstanding.

====== from barefaced web site ===================
Dimensions: 25.5" high x 19.5" wide x 13.5" deep
Weight: 32 lbs
Sensitivity: Similar to many 2x12" cabs
Frequency Response: Similar to the classic sealed 8x10" fridge
Recommended Amp Power: 100 - 500W RMS
Maximum Output: Similar to a quality 2x12" or 3x10" cabinet
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
===========================================

I would also like to see a 1/4 inch jack in addition to the speakon, like my schroeder 1x12, to give a choice and to enable those people whose amps only have one output to chain more than one cab. I'm sure that if I'd asked (and paid!) for it, Alex would have wired one in, providing he could have found a sealed 1/4 jack socket to use.

[b]Sound Quality: 9[/b]

Amp: Markbass LMII
Bass: 4-string, TBC JT400-PJ
Playing style: finger and plec
Effects: MXR Bass Blow Torch
Music: Indie/rock covers

I find that I get a very balanced sound out of this cab but it took trial and error on my part, as with any new equipment. I've used it over the bank holiday weekend, a total of 3 gigs. What's working best for me so far is having it on the floor but tilted upward. The only reason I'm giving a 9 instead of 10 is that I'm currently used to having a tweeter so miss the very top end, which is odd because I hate tweeters! Just have to get out of that mind-set. I fully realise its a personal thing.

[b]Reliability/Build Quality: 9[/b]

I've seen major manufacturers not put out cabs as well built as this one, especially not at this price. Great attention to detail, from the positioning of the speakon socket, to the coating used, to the grille padding to keep it from rattling. I'm not so keen on the stacking corners and may well put some rubber feet on it in addition. As for reliability, I've got 60-70 gigs left to do this year, so watch this space. I'm pretty sure I can pack in about 10 years worth of abuse in that time, in the hands of another bassist.

[b]Customer Support: 9[/b]

Alex really takes the time to make sure you know and understand your needs what you're getting. There was a slight delay in getting the cab but understandable, as he's just one guy!

[b]Overall Rating: 10[/b]
Despite some very minor niggles, which are more personal opinions, I'm enormously satisfided so far. Easily the best sounding sigle cab I've ever owned and more importanly, a "compact" one cab solution that saves space and my back! I can clearly hear everything I need to, no matter where on the neck I play.

I would love to see barefaced really take off, it certainly deserves to! IMO, you simply won't find a better single cab, single speaker solution and certainly not at this price.

It just ticks all the boxes:
Light? Check
Compact? Check
Great sound? Check
Lound? Check

Edited by Sharkfinger

Now the rambling version! Would like to share some of my real-world gig experience with this cab.

This cabinet is from what I believe is the first "production run" of Compacts. The speaker has not been run in yet so was told to expect to have to push up the bass on the EQ a little at first until the speaker loosens up.

Now, when I got home and found the box in the living room, I thought, "surely it can't be in that": I was surprised just how small it was! I had the band's PA bass bins this weekend so not much in the way of spare room in the car, which made this discovery a good one. I've had 3 gigs over the bank holiday weekend, in a variety of pub/club venues with a variety of stages. Playing a 4-string TBC JT400-PJ, through an MXR Bass Blowtorch and into either a Markbass LMII (300W at 8 Ohms) or a pre-amp (trace v-type) and Thomann "own brand" power amp (bridged 800W @ 8 Ohms or 2 x 240W @ 8 Ohms). Naturally, the cab sounds great on it's own but its in a band setting where it earns its keep, so this review will focus on that. I mainly play in a 5-piece indie/rock covers band, with 2 noisy guitarist and a ginger version of the gorilla in the "cadbury's milk chocolate" advert; a very heavy hitter.

First was a pub, with a stage about 1/2' off the ground in a corner of the place. Playing with only 1 guitarist rather than the usual 2 and had the amp stood flat on the stage. Starting off with the MB head, I was immediately struck by how clear and articulate the cab sounds. I had my Schoeder 1x12 with me, just in case, but never had to use it. Bottom was full and defined, good mid clarity and "enough" top end. I say "enough" because, initially, I wasn't blown away by the high-end response but I'll get onto that later. Well, near the end of the first set, my sound just cut out. I later tracked this down to a bad pot in my bass but at that time, I thought it was the amp and just switched to the pre/post that I had set up and ready to go. I've newly made a bridgeing cable to draw the full 800W @ 8 Ohm and wanted to try it in the second set, anyway. Was underwhealmed by the amp's performance for the remainder of that set and through the second. Clip light was almost constantly on and sound was distorted. High-end (G-string) was almost non-existent. To be fair, it's a sh*t venue, with sh*t punters who, at the best of times, aren't interested in the band but tonight it was a particularly bad atmosphere with a few fights happening. I was in a pretty crap mood and couldn't wait to get out of there.

Second gig. A "working man's club", this time with a dep guitarist in addition to the regular one. Quite a large venue, the stage is about 2 1/2' off the ground, deep and very wide. Wasn't sure about how solid it was, so I raised the cab off the stage about a foot with a flat wooden foot-step. What a difference! It looses a bit of bottom end by "de-coupling" but managed to EQ most of it back in on the LMII and enhance a part of the mid that makes it sound really aggressive and grinding. Nice! Not only that but I now have all the highs I could want, probably because the cab is higher up and closer to the level of my ears. The only problem tonight is that with the LMII being so light, it vibrates and slides right off, cutting my sound again! Not wanting to mess around sorting it out mid-song, I switch again to my back-up amp. This time, I've only got one channel () going into it. None of the distortion of the previous night and not a bad sound at all, although I've not had a chance to muck about with the EQ, so have lost a bit of the high end but and the mid grind has gone but still a more than passable sound. It actually sounds "louder" than when it had the 800W going into it! This tells me that if I want to put loads of power into this cab, I'm going to need a better power amp. However, it was more than loud enough with the 240W and wasn't even all the way up.

Third gig, again with the dep guitarist. I've found the problem is with my bass' pan pot and dialling it all the way over to the precision pup is a good work-around (have my P with me, just in case). Also, not leaving the LMII on top of the cab this time and didn't have a problem all night. This time, I put the cab on the floor again but angle it upwards. Jackpot! Enough of bottom end and plenty of mids and highs. In all, a very balanced sound but I tweak the bass up upward, anyway. It's now a very full sound which is more that loud enough with the volume knob at about 2/3 of the way up and and gain at 1-2 o'clock, so putting out just over 200W. I'm using the overdrive pedal tonight and when I turn it on, can really clearly hear the "grind" in the sound, which I can't always (I have earplugs in all the time). At one point, we all play exactly the same thing and it the band's sound sometimes muddies up but tonight I can latch onto the bottom end of my sound and it's all fine. I hit my overdrive and cut right through.

So, although it took a bit of trial-and-error, I've found what works for me. All in all, the cab worked well in all situations, accurately relating the sound that was put in, bad as well as good. I had a few concers with this cab:

1) I wouldn't be able to hear any high-end well enough, so still wouldn't be a "one cab solution".
2) I couldn't get on with the strap handle.
3) It might be too bulky.

Sufficed to say, my fears were unfounded but the jury's still out on the "handle" front. I can always screw some on if it really bothers me but it might be that I'm just not used to it. I can carry it against my chest through narrow doorways without skinning my knuckles, which always pisses me off. I plan to put some rubber feet on it, as a lot of the surfaces in the places I play are smooth. I would also like to see a 1/4 inch jack in addition to the speakon, like my schroeder 1x12, to give a choice and to enable those people whose amps only have one output to chain them. Although I have enough adaptors, I'm going to make up a speakon to speakon cable to save messing about.

Sorry guys, Alex isn't getting this one back: you'll have to wait for the next batch. However, I'll most likely be moving on some of my other cabs and almost certainly the Schroeder, as I can easily get that sound from the Compact and it's not much heavier.

And regarding a 1/4" socket, I'd really rather avoid them - seen far too many instrument leads used as speaker leads, plus the way they short on insertion/removal is an excellent way of killing amplifiers. If someone does indeed to daisychain two cabs then I'm happy to add another Speakon for £5 but I'd rather keep things simple on the standard cabs and also be able to intervene by questioning any planned daisychaining which might not work so well.

Did the info in the user manual help?

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='461421' date='Apr 13 2009, 07:16 PM']Thanks for the review! I carry the cab like a suitcase in one hand and then for doorways or stairs tend to swing it up in front of me so one edge is resting against my front. Am pondering some feet to help it grip shinier floors, will keep you posted!

Alex[/quote]
I find I do the same for doorways, etc. It's probably that I'm not used to it. Like I say, this cab is going to get a lot of use so I'm sure I will do.

Rubber feet would definately be a good addition. It's pretty unlikely someone will have more than one of these cabs so stacking is unlikely. If they do, they can always take the feet off one of them and they'll certainly be grateful for the extra grip their bottom cab has! I for one, don't want to stack cabs. That was the whole point of buying this cab: so I'd only have one!

Going to have a think about how to deal with the issue of the amp sliding off the top. With the textured coating and my head having no feet, there's very little point of contact. I can probably get round it with putting "stick on" feet to the head but have to figure something for when I tilt the cab backwards.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='462349' date='Apr 14 2009, 06:10 PM']And regarding a 1/4" socket, I'd really rather avoid them - seen far too many instrument leads used as speaker leads, plus the way they short on insertion/removal is an excellent way of killing amplifiers. If someone does indeed to daisychain two cabs then I'm happy to add another Speakon for £5 but I'd rather keep things simple on the standard cabs and also be able to intervene by questioning any planned daisychaining which might not work so well.

Did the info in the user manual help?

Alex[/quote]
That sounds like recipie for a lot of customer support but I suppose it beats dealing with excessive returns from numpties. I see your point as speakons are also physically less likely to get broken or break the socket if messed with. I've accidentally broken off the jack in the socket more than once.

The manual was very useful, up until the point my brain melted from overload. There's tons of information there and though it's useful to get the absolute best out of your equipment and raise the general education level, you're essentially repeating what's on your web site. I would suggest at least having a 'Quick Start Guide' at the front to get people going safely, as not everyone is willing to plough through it.

I've got some heavy-duty rubber sheeting (floor mat type) which would both provide better grip and a bit of shock absorption. If you want to swing past Chiswick I'll be happy to cut you a rectangle.

Your best bet is probably foam rubber, though. Get some of the heavy sponge stuff which will allow air-flow (in case your amp has intakes on the bottom) and that will do exactly what you need.

[quote name='Sharkfinger' post='462812' date='Apr 15 2009, 10:58 AM']Going to have a think about how to deal with the issue of the amp sliding off the top. through it.[/quote]

What you need is something like this [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=217606"]Non slip mat[/url]. I got a similar one from Asda for a quid. Completely stopped the LM2 from sliding off an angled back cab

[quote name='alexclaber' post='462349' date='Apr 14 2009, 06:10 PM']And regarding a 1/4" socket, I'd really rather avoid them - seen far too many instrument leads used as speaker leads, plus the way they short on insertion/removal is an excellent way of killing amplifiers.
Alex[/quote]

Er What about customer choice

While it was not uncommon to see guitar leads being used as speaker leads in the 60s and 70s, [i dont recall any lasting problems although my memory may be blurred at that time] most people today know not to do it.

As far as the shorting goes, of my 4 amps only the ashdown has a speakon the rest are 1/4 jacks, as is the new Hartke LH 500 so even if you eliminate the problem at the speaker end, you have it at the other

Surely the best compromise is to offer the choice, why not use a speakon combo?

Jack connections are entirely bad news for high-current applications (even when using 'high-current' jacks and sockets) - they pit quite badly in no time, and require frequent cleaning, twisting and reseating.

If you only have jacks at the amp end, then get a jack-speakon lead (and avoid any possibility of being able to use an instrument cable).

[quote name='Stewart' post='463024' date='Apr 15 2009, 02:30 PM']If you only have jacks at the amp end, then get a jack-speakon lead (and avoid any possibility of being able to use an instrument cable).[/quote]
And our very own obbm makes rather fine ones. After comparing the gauge of his and the 2-core mains wire I [i]may[/i] have used in the past, I'll never look back. I've got jack-jack, jack to Speakon & Speakon to Speakon to cover all eventualities.

I remember Alex saying summat about the problem finding decent sealed jack or combination sockets once too. Possibly.

[quote name='Stewart' post='463024' date='Apr 15 2009, 02:30 PM']Jack connections are entirely bad news for high-current applications (even when using 'high-current' jacks and sockets) - they pit quite badly in no time, and require frequent cleaning, twisting and reseating.

If you only have jacks at the amp end, then get a jack-speakon lead (and avoid any possibility of being able to use an instrument cable).[/quote]

Im not sopporting or condeming either, I dont have the technical knowledge to do so.

Im suggesting giving people the choice. In fact I like speakons because you dont need a soldering iron if you have a lead problem.

For all the concerns expressed about the 1/4 jack its been used in guitar amps for what 50years? [I wonder how many that is] and is still being offered in brand new equipment today so although no doubt it can be bettered, it cant be all bad.

[quote name='bumnote' post='463080' date='Apr 15 2009, 03:31 PM']...
For all the concerns expressed about the 1/4 jack its been used in guitar amps for what 50years? [I wonder how many that is] and is still being offered in brand new equipment today so although no doubt it can be bettered, it cant be all bad.[/quote]

And you used to be able to X-ray your own feet in shoe shops... :)

Seriously - putting a jack socket into a cab is just building-in a flaw.

[quote name='bumnote' post='463080' date='Apr 15 2009, 03:31 PM']For all the concerns expressed about the 1/4 jack its been used in guitar amps for what 50years? [I wonder how many that is] and is still being offered in brand new equipment today so although no doubt it can be bettered, it cant be all bad.[/quote]

Good points: Cheap, easy to get leads (even if they're the wrong ones), takes up less space on the back of an amp.
Bad points: Poor current handling, lower durability, cables have to be soldered, shorts on insertion/removal, exposed parts carry voltage.

With a guitar amp the current handling isn't such an issue. But with a cab that can handle 500W comfortably like the Compact then you're looking at 8 amps plus at the lowest points on the impedance curve. With a cab like the Big One you're dealing with well in excess of 15A if you're using a big power amp - and the live end of a 1/4" lead could have 120V on it just waiting to get you.

Plus the speakon socket I use fits straight onto the cab, no jack plate required - simpler and stronger - and it's properly airtight.

If I was launching these cabs 15 years ago then I'd include 1/4" sockets - but 15 years ago people weren't using anywhere near as powerful amplifers. But Speakons are common enough nowadays and for those that haven't been converted from 1/4" leads I'm quite happy to take on the task of enlightenment! :)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='463155' date='Apr 15 2009, 04:57 PM']With a cab like the Big One you're dealing with well in excess of 15A if you're using a big power amp - and the live end of a 1/4" lead could have 120V on it just waiting to get you.[/quote]

Ignorance is bliss ... I was so much happier when I didn't know that.

:)

[quote name='andyonbass' post='462882' date='Apr 15 2009, 12:11 PM']What you need is something like this [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=217606"]Non slip mat[/url]. I got a similar one from Asda for a quid. Completely stopped the LM2 from sliding off an angled back cab[/quote]
Off an angled cab you say? Will definately have to check that out. Looks like the kind of stuff you put on your dashboard to stop keys and stuff sliding off.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='463155' date='Apr 15 2009, 04:57 PM']With a guitar amp the current handling isn't such an issue. But with a cab that can handle 500W comfortably like the Compact then you're looking at 8 amps plus at the lowest points on the impedance curve. With a cab like the Big One you're dealing with well in excess of 15A if you're using a big power amp - and the live end of a 1/4" lead could have 120V on it just waiting to get you.[/quote]
That's also a good point. High voltage might be fun but it's not a toy!

Think I'll convert my leads to speakon.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='andyonbass' post='462882' date='Apr 15 2009, 12:11 PM']What you need is something like this [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=217606"]Non slip mat[/url]. I got a similar one from Asda for a quid. Completely stopped the LM2 from sliding off an angled back cab[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. Got one from Tesco for about £1 but didn't really think it would work with a cab angled at about 30 degrees or more. It only bloody does! It's like it's stuck on with blu-tack. 20+ gigs and not a millimeter of movement.

BTW, have now done 30+ gigs with the compact and not once haven't been able to hear myself. It lives up to all my expectations and have finally broken my phoney expecations from tweeters. I can hear everything clearly and high notes cut through like a knife. Seems counter-intuitive but I guess it's just down to unlearning the marketing hype.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Rich' post='528575' date='Jun 30 2009, 12:08 PM']I remember years ago, Trace Elliot used to say that their 15" cabs actually had a brighter top than their 10s, just not as punchy or snappy. Is this generally the case with 15" speakers?[/quote]

I used to play through the "typical" Trace stack - AH250 coupled to a 4x10 and 1x15.

I definitely found that the fifteen was toppier [b]and[/b] had more bottom than the 10s. Maybe not surprising about the low end, but I was genuinely surprised about the lovely "clicky" top end that the 15 delivered! In fact, although it was "de rigeur" to place the 15 on the floor with the 10s on top, I used to have mine the other way around. Looked kinda wierd, but
meant that the cab at ear level was the 15 - the sound of which I much preferred (and it didn't have a horn BTW!).

The sound of the 4x10 was much "punchier" and rounded - great for fretless work or funk sounds, but definitely lacking in top end...

Just my two penn'orth of course! :)

• 7 months later...

Just a quickie about Speakon/Jack leads - plug the jack end in first, then you get the advantage of avoiding the little shorting episode of using jacks as the circuit remains open. If you plug in the Speakon end first you may as well have two jacks in that regard. If you always plug in your speakers before turning the amp on it matters not either way.

While I have never pitted, cooked or had any other problems with using jacks for speakers (still do) I did get a real kick once from a jack lead out the back of a Hiwatt, years ago. More than 120V from the back of that thing!

• 1 year later...

I luckily managed to get hold of one of these last week off of Basschat for £300. At home it`s very difficult to tell how a cab is going to sound, so have waited until I`ve used it at a band practice to post my views.

Ok, my band has drums, 3 gtrs, keyboards, and 2 basses, plus at least 3 vocs, so whatever gear I use, I need something that won`t get lost in the mix. Out of the 2 basses, I`m the "low, hold it together bass" whereas the other one is the "twangy-bass".

My amp is an Ampeg PF-500, which gives out 300 watts at 8 ohms, and aside from selecting Ultra-Low & Ultra-High, I usually leave the rest of the eq set flat.

So, The Compact - how does it fare? Well the answer is, very well indeed. Using my regular settings, the only real difference I really noticed from my Eden Nemesis 410 was that I have to set the volume a bit higher (that Nemesis is one loud cab btw). The sound from the Compact is great, and the presence - well from where I was tonight, it had bucket-loads of it, and the lows never once went boomy. Just nice and solid, but without being "too much" if you know what I mean. The bass was in the mix, not sitting right underneath, and sounding detatched from the rest of the band.

So overall, a 115 that has as much presence as a 410, but is light enough to carry in one hand, well I`m sold on Barefaced cabs! Just can`t wait to get my Midget now, which I`ve ordered to add height to the set-up, so that I can hear myself better at gigs. I`m sure I wouldn`t be in a postion of needing it for all but the largest of pubs/halls etc, but I like to have multiple speakers, as I like the depth that they give, as oppose to singles. I`m really looking forward to hearing the pair together. Barefaced for me are the way forward - my back is at a point now where even carrying my gig-box too far hurts, so lightweight cabs were what I needed. Sure, it`s been expensive, but I haven`t compromised on the sound in any way, which is a major plus.

And it did make me laugh, the fact that my gig-box of cables/pedals etc is heavier than my cab. Just got to find a manufacturer of lightweight cables.