Why become a member? ×

This Trace Elliot ELF never ceases to amaze me!!!!

Mike Bungo

The fan in my MB200 went , and I started getting “ the pink ring of doom”. My repair guy discovered that the fan had become gunked up and stopped working , and that caused some  major components to overheat and burn out. Including the power module.  

So I looked around at other amps , and then decided that the GK was the perfect amp for what I was using it for. 
Strictly home practice , sometimes plugged into a C2 Phil Jones cab , or with just headphones and a tablet plugged into the aux in. So I looked at amps that could handle both headphones and an aux input.

I decided that if we couldn’t resuscitate the little GK I’d buy another. It survived the repair , and has run like a top since we got it fixed. 
Should add that the e500 has replaced it as the primary practice head , and I use a Hotone Thunderbass as a headphone/tablet quiet practice rig. So the feature set I was originally looking at has shifted a little.

Almost bought a Darkglass Microtubes recently … moment of weakness , it was a great deal but in the end I decided I’m already well amped. 
And if I see an Elf for a good price I’m liable to snag it , simply because it has a great rep.

edit

I’m also curious about the new Ampeg line … and sometimes think I really should have a Mesa Subway head … it never ends. There’s always something.

Edited by msb
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Obviously some very happy users here. I’m interested in an elf combo having used big and heavweight Trace gear for years. I suspect the question has been addressed (though I can’t find it). Can the elf manage to recreate the classic preset tone of the old heads? I’ve read very differing reports but I’m sure the collective expertise (and real-world experience) in this thread can provide a (nearly) definitive answer! Thanks for any advice

33 minutes ago, three said:

Obviously some very happy users here. I’m interested in an elf combo having used big and heavweight Trace gear for years. I suspect the question has been addressed (though I can’t find it). Can the elf manage to recreate the classic preset tone of the old heads? I’ve read very differing reports but I’m sure the collective expertise (and real-world experience) in this thread can provide a (nearly) definitive answer! Thanks for any advice

The closest I've had is the 1*10 elf cab with the elf head. Impressively loud for such a small rig however lacking a little bit in bottom end or warmth from one cab IMO. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

I use mine with two Elf 10" cabs and it's its own beast. Not the same as my old Trace gear but very good in its own right.

I actually sold my elf cab to a bassist that had one already, he was very impressed with the volume of 2 cabs running with the elf head. I guess because you're getting the full 200W from the 4ohm. I needed something compact but a tad wider that could be used with a 30W valve head that was a bit too big for the elf 110 cab.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I actually sold my elf cab to a bassist that had one already, he was very impressed with the volume of 2 cabs running with the elf head. I guess because you're getting the full 200W from the 4ohm. I needed something compact but a tad wider that could be used with a 30W valve head that was a bit too big for the elf 110 cab.  

Yeah, I hear you. Cannot bear an overhanging amp 

Just now, MacDaddy said:

Just out of interest, and I know this is not what it's made for, but what is the loudest useable volume?

If you put it through a 4x10 could it keep up with 2 guitars and drums?

I reckon through an efficient 4 x 10 cab at 4ohms it should be loud enough. 200W is nothing to be sneezed at .   

• Thanks 1

I bought my Elf 2 or 3 years ago as a back-up. I have used it for one gig just to make sure it was up to the job, which it most certainly was. Still have the carrying case and the original box. 

I am sadly and slowly getting rid of my bass gear as arthritis is making playing painful.

PM me if interested in buying it. 

I know I should advertise it properly, and am paid up to do so, just feeling lazy!

My Elf is now sold and will be winging it's way to a fellow basschater in the morning.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Just out of interest, and I know this is not what it's made for, but what is the loudest useable volume?

I did gig mine a couple of months ago in a busy pub with full kit, guitar, sax and trumpet. I used a Barefaced One10, and that's it, no other reinforcement at all. I wouldn't say it was a loud gig, but it coped, and someone actually complemented me on my tone! I felt I had hit it's limit though. An additional cab would have been much better.

Rob

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

I use mine with a Barefaced Two10 (which they suggest is the equivalent of a "good" 4x10) in a band with drums, guitar and keys, and I've never got the volume knob past halfway, so I reckon you'd be fine.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

I last gigged mine with a very loud drummer and guitarist when the 600 watt head I'd planned to use developed a fault.

The Elf looked microscopic atop two 15" cabs but it was never remotely close to full volume. 

The scientists among us can no doubt explain why it can't be as loud as it is. I on the other hand use my ears and it's amazing.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I last gigged mine with a very loud drummer and guitarist when the 600 watt head I'd planned to use developed a fault.

The Elf looked microscopic atop two 15" cabs but it was never remotely close to full volume. 

The scientists among us can no doubt explain why it can't be as loud as it is. I on the other hand use my ears and it's amazing.

because it's Trace Elliot watts, they're a lot louder than normal watts 😀

• Haha 3