Why become a member? ×

Weird conspiracy theory involving the so-called British Invasion of America

NikNik

7 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

My favourite conspiracy theory is that Australia doesn't exist. It's an actual theory from scholars including David Ike. 

When Ali G asked Buzz Aldrin about the lunar conspiracy theories "does the moon really exist?".

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

My favourite conspiracy theory is that Australia doesn't exist. It's an actual theory from scholars including David Ike. 

I also quite enjoy flag waving, super patriotic Americans who say the moon landing was fake. They believe its the greatest country in the world but its greatest achievement was fake and every president since (including their orange hero) has lied about it.

I have one down my way who is a 5G/Surveillance looper. He's convinced the Government is using 5G for mind control and attaches notices to this effect on nearby lampposts. He's also convinced the new(ish) LED street lighting is killing us, and thinks the photovoltaic cell under some of these lights are actually spy cameras.

20210227_163933.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, NikNik said:

I have one down my way who is a 5G/Surveillance looper. He's convinced the Government is using 5G for mind control and attaches notices to this effect on nearby lampposts. He's also convinced the new(ish) LED street lighting is killing us, and thinks the photovoltaic cell under some of these lights are actually spy cameras.

20210227_163933.jpg

I bet he does his own research on youtube

• Like 1

It's an easy trap to fall into. The wife of a friend of my missus spent a fair bit of time devolving into a conspiracy theory believer after she spent more and more time on the internet while on maternity leave. She has recently started spouting the official Russian line on Ukraine which, while that isn't good, at least indicates where much of the misinformation originates which she is snared in. How you pull someone back from the state they've been manipulated into, I don't know, however. 

Some people just get caught up in these things unwittingly. It's easy to laugh at them, but much of this stuff is a state-sponsored attack on our societies via social media which has been going on for quite some time. It's dangerous and intentionally so.

• Like 4

It seems to get a lot of people who spend too much time on the Internet. An ex band mate was caught up in the 5G conspiracy and the tracking chips in vaccines. 

I pointed out to him that everything they need to track us already exists with smart phones, bank cards Internet history and ANPR on the roads but he wouldn't have it, they're definitely tracking us with chips in vaccines. 

It also seems that once you believe one conspiracy you have to believe them all.

• Like 2

Interesting point Mr XCR.  Nearly all these "cosmic ray powered government 5G trackers built into vaccines" believers wouldn't leave the house without their government mandated citizen tracking module, AKA mobile phone. 

They complain about imaginary tracking in vaccines yet pay good money to willfully submit to a device with genuine tracking potential. Whats that all abput?

All that tracking data is harvested but no one is looking at what Derek and Mable from Wolverhampton were doing on 3rd March, they're building huge databases to look at trends with the data from millions of anonymous people to work out more effective ways to sell more crap.

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I bet he does his own research on youtube

Ha! Some fairly well-known geocentrist on YT stated in full seriousness that he knew what he was talking about, coz he had
"studied the subject for 1.5 years  ...  (pause)  ...  on the Internet ..." 

I always find this stuff extra funny in the light of these people's total disdain for other people's real education.

Yes, from now on, I'll exclusively listen to toddlers when I want to know more about a subject.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Having seen footage of the terrain in Iceland from my mates recent holiday I can see where they might get the idea from, it’s spookily like the lunar surface as seen from the moon landings.

As a geologist myself I can confirm that places like Iceland don't bear any real scrutiny as a comparison to the lunar landscape. An entirely differnet mechanism behind the vulcanism at each.

The biggest blow to the lunar landing conspiracists seems to be that the trails of the astronauts footprints are visible from lunar orbit, and the US, India and the japanese have photographed these trails from lunar orbit.  The Chinese will also have been in a position to view them with multiple unmanned craft, although they have not specifically stated that they have done so.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Ha! Some fairly well-known geocentrist on YT stated in full seriousness that he knew what he was talking about, coz he had
"studied the subject for 1.5 years  ...  (pause)  ...  on the Internet ..." 

I always find this stuff extra funny in the light of these people's total disdain for other people's real education.

Yes, from now on, I'll exclusively listen to toddlers when I want to know more about a subject.

I recommend checking out scimandan on YouTube. His whole thing is about pseudoscience and science based conspiracies. His Flat Earth Friday videos are always good for a laugh. The Netflix film Behind the Curve is also worth a watch, a group of flat earthers blow a load of money on experiments to prove the earth is flat and you can probably guess what happens. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I recommend checking out scimandan on YouTube. His whole thing is about pseudoscience and science based conspiracies. His Flat Earth Friday videos are always good for a laugh. The Netflix film Behind the Curve is also worth a watch, a group of flat earthers blow a load of money on experiments to prove the earth is flat and you can probably guess what happens. 

He's great! Also check out Profesor Dave Explains, he holds no punches.

In my day to day work I have to engage with any number of "alternate" theorists and it really is quite extraordinary the things they believe. History can't be trusted, no dinosaurs, Trump is great, New World Order, one world bank, lizards, global paedo rings, Q Anon, NASA is evil, Bill Gates is evil, and of course the Flatulents as I call the flat earthers. It gets rather tiring after a while.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the tips!
I knew Professor Dave Explains, but SciManDan was new to me.

As to the thread subject, I think it's a good idea we remember that quite some perceivedly stupid stuff on ze webz is actually sarcasm.

Oh, and lest we forget: people like Ray Comfort and Kent Hovind are just there to make lotsa money over the backs of their gullible victims. I found Ray Comfort especially funny when he published "On the Origin of Species" - - with his own "comments", but leaving out the chapters that totally destroy everything Mr. Comfort says about these things,
...oh and BTW: extra points for publishing it under the wrong title "The Origin of Species".

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

As a geologist myself I can confirm that places like Iceland don't bear any real scrutiny as a comparison to the lunar landscape. An entirely differnet mechanism behind the vulcanism at each.

The biggest blow to the lunar landing conspiracists seems to be that the trails of the astronauts footprints are visible from lunar orbit, and the US, India and the japanese have photographed these trails from lunar orbit.  The Chinese will also have been in a position to view them with multiple unmanned craft, although they have not specifically stated that they have done so.

Not to mention that the whole thing was tracked internationally with independent observatories working to help NASA maintain communications and monitoring (Parkes in Australia springs to mind), and by some radio amateurs as well.  It would have been impossible to keep a lid on any shenanigans.  Most notably, at the time the biggest propaganda coup that the USSR could have had would have been to show the world that the moonshots they were tracking were faked.  None of this happened simply because they weren't.  

Conspiracy theorists, as annoying as they are, can be thought of as brainwashed members of a cult.  

Edited by Islander

18 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

There is photographic evidence that the moon landings were faked:

moon1.thumb.jpg.1897939b66a21aae78e68ebf4a183d6d.jpg

moon2.thumb.jpg.2fd5a7b6ddef2879540fc0068ec8abc7.jpg

This is all the proof we ever needed.

wAkE uP aND sMeLL tHe sOuP, sHEepLe!!!1!!

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

The biggest blow to the lunar landing conspiracists seems to be that the trails of the astronauts footprints are visible from lunar orbit

Ha! But Lunar Orbit doesnt exist!
You dont have no csienfitic date to proof dat!

Heres proof:

Orbit
Peppermint Orbit
Spearmint Orbit
Eucalyptus Orbit
Mint Orbit
Bubblemint Orbit
Wintermint Orbit
Winterfresh Orbit
Cinnamint Orbit (discontinued)
Cinnamon Orbit (discontinued)
Sweetmint Orbit
Freeze Mint Orbit
Citrusmint Orbit
Apple Remix Orbit
Tropical Remix Orbit
Strawberry Remix Orbit
Wildberry Remix Orbit
Peppermint DoublePak Orbit
Spearmint DoublePak Orbit
Citrus Remix Orbit
Melon Remix Orbit
Crystal Mint Orbit
Lemon Lime Orbit
Mint Mojito Orbit
Maui Melon Mint Orbit
Positively Pomegranate Orbit
Raspberry Mint Orbit
Fabulous Fruitini Orbit
Sangria Fresca Orbit (discontinued)
Strawberry Mint Orbit
Lime Melon Orbit
Piña Colada Orbit
Orange Cardamom Orbit
Mixed Fruit Orbit
Coca Cola Orbit

Edited by BassTractor
forgot to forget an apo'strophe
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Islander said:

Not to mention that the whole thing was tracked internationally with independent observatories working to help NASA maintain communications and monitoring (Parkes in Australia springs to mind), and by some radio amateurs as well.  It would have been impossible to keep a lid on any shenanigans.  Most notably, at the time the biggest propaganda coup that the USSR could have had would have been to show the world that the moonshots they were tracking were faked.  None of this happened simply because they weren't.  

Conspiracy theorists, as annoying as they are, can be thought of as brainwashed members of a cult.  

Yeah, but that's what THEY want you to think.

#flatearth #JFKwasarobot #lizardroyalfamily #ohFFSyouvejustsatonmytinfoilhat

• Haha 2

It's not just wacky theories, there has also been a lot of subtle manipulation which has worked on large swathes of the population. I've yet to be convinced that B****t was anything other than a Russian-financed effort to destabilise Europe. I firmly believe the EU was stronger with Britain and Britain was stronger with the EU, but I appreciate this is verboten so I'll jog on. Carole Cadwalladr had quite a few articles linking many of the protagonists to Russian money at the time, though, and it's becoming clear now just how deep Russian money has infiltrated the government. They also latched onto the Trump presidency effort very quickly and few could argue the USA hasn't been massively destabilised since. They were setting up social media groups to subtly disenfranchise and demotivate black voters while selling Trump as traditional white America's messiah. Gentle sewing of discontent. The right wing resurgence in central Europe is no coincidence either. The west has been under attack since the advent of the smartphone and social media provided an individualised manipulation portal from any interested party into the eyes of almost anyone.

A quick read up on Russia's Internet Research Agency and Sam Harris' conversations with Tristan Harris are strongly recommended.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Creaky Blinder and Sir Sic can be good for a more light-hearted/sarcastic take on conspiracies. I think both of them have done stuff with Scimandan. Creaky even had Aron Ra on his podcast recently, which was a bit of a coup for a small Youtuber.

I often find conspiracy videos by people like Hans Wurmhat and the bloke behind Mud Fossil University can be equal parts fun and frustrating.

• Like 2

Oh I also forgot to say that if you get in to any sort of conversation with them, at somepoint they will say "it's a distraction". I have been told that apparently all that is going on in Ukraine is a distraction. Daring to ask from what, will then lead to a 10 or 15 minute tranmission at you, not pausing for breath, nor for sense either.

I believe that a lot of these conspiracies lead back to an anti-science stance and have a religious doctrine behind them. Lots of Ytube alternative presenters have a strong "God" flavour to their crackpot nonsense. Maybe it's possible that the religious leaders, seeing their flocks and incomes dwindling significantly, have infiltrated to world of "alternate truth" and are manipulating it do turn people away from science and back to religion. 

Hmm.. is that my own conspiacy theory I have going there?

• Like 1