Why become a member? ×

Westone Thunder love….

Wilco

So I’ve recently bought some PA gear, & had to free up some space at home to store it in. One of the ‘casualties’ of making that space was my Thunder 1A. It was a very nice example & it had a proper but worn Westone case.

I only listed it a couple of weeks ago & I first put it on the usual FB Groups with every intention of putting on here too.

However I was gobsmacked by the amount of likes & positive comments received on those FB group posts. There was loads in a short space of time & they kept on coming. The bass was ‘on hold’ within a day & I had 7 other solid “can I buy it” messages come in. They only stopped when I edited the ad to ‘on hold’. 

The price I put it up for & got was £295, but I think if I’d gone £350 - £400 it would’ve easily sold judging by the demand. Hindsight is a wonderful thing 😆.

Anyways long story short, the Westone name is a bit ‘cult’ obviously, but great to see that the brand still appears to have such a strong following - and by players younger than the brands 80’s heyday too!! 

(I still have two Thunder III’s & they are going no-where!!)

Edited by Wilco
  • Like 3

Thunders do seem to be hot property at the moment, and I'll admit I was also quietly on the lookout for a decent one for a while too. I was given a Kay/Cort neck through in a similar 80s style with the Powersound pickups so that will kind of scratch that itch for a while. 

At the mo I think anything sub £300 is a very good price for a Thunder 1a,even though more so if in condition with original case. 

The IIIs are making serious money. 

9 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

The guitars too, or just the basses?

(asking on behalf someone who hasn't played his Thunder I-A with any seriousness since he was 16)

Don't know, I don't get involved with those funny little six string toys much. 😉

I'd guess the guitars get similar love from that side of the camp though. 

8 minutes ago, Maude said:

I'd guess the guitars get similar love from that side of the camp though. 

Active guitars.....a bit weird......

I bought it because it has the lowest action ever seen on guitar, and spent years hating the electronics (and the natural finish) But 008 strings, a bridge humbucker and a 15 year old boy are going to get by ok, despite all that coil-splitting, phase-reversing bass-cutting nonsense.

Always remember Westones from my childhood and them being in most of the mail order catalogs - which is where my 1st bass came from, thank you Mum

and Dad 😂. Unfortunately not a Westone but some short scale thing with terrible pickups. 

Then an older boy at school played a school concert with his Westone, which at the time blew me away as he was so good. I never really rated them back then because of where I thought they came from. Obviously I was young and wrong as they do seem popular now whereas whatever it was I had has long disappeared, and probably for the best 😂 

• Like 1

It's interesting - Thunder 1As are still very common basses, there are always plenty in circulation and it's always seemed that tends to keep prices down compared with other, less common comparable 80s MIJ basses. Ebay tends to be a good barometer, and having had a quick look, it still is. Sold item prices go from £135 at the bottom end up to £380 - those are very much outliers and the median's about £200 or so. 10-15 years ago the average ballpark was about £150 so they're not exactly appreciating fast. There are always sellers with ambitious pricing, and occasionally someone will bite  - I'd say £295 for a 1A is very much the lucky side of average.

The guitars tend to go for a bit more, interestingly,the average seeming to be getting near the £300 mark. This is galling, considering my own very nice Thunder 1 only fetched £150 when I flipped it. Was a great guitar & I probably should have hung on to it. Having said that, it cost me £6 from the local car boot, so I can't moan too much.

• Like 2

Great basses. I played a Thunder iii primarily for over 20 years. Sold it, instant regret. I've now got a Thunder iI MKii (think it's MK2). It's basically the same as a Thunder iii with a different logo on the headstock. 

I nearly sold it a while back as it's getting a tad too heavy. Decided to keep it though. They are lovely to record with.

Edited by itsmedunc

3 minutes ago, pbelly said:

Ooh, any pics?

I said 'inspired by', that doesn't mean it turned out looking anything like it. 😄

It's not finished yet but here's the thread if it's of interest. 

I don't know why it's put that picture there, that's not mine. 🤔😁