Why become a member? ×

Clean/Neutral 3 Band EQ

Supernaut

I am after a 3 band EQ to go between my Polytune and Radial DI for gigs. I am not interested in gain or overdrive. I would also like it to add no colour of any sort and be as 'neutral' sounding as possible. 

Current set-up is Jazz > Polytune > Radial DI > Mark Bass combo. 

Cheers. 

42 minutes ago, itu said:

Many pedal sized graphic eqs tend to have wide Q. They may not be exact instruments if something specific is not working. But they may be good enough for some tweaking.

What's wrong with the MB eq?

9/10 gigs I do, the sound person wants a DI straight from the bass before the amp. 

I'm trying to get more control of my FOH tone. 

I've gone a bit overkill with my sound. I have Radial DI going straight to the desk so that the sound can be adjusted accordingly for the out front sound.

Despite the sound out front being great I wasn't happy with what I was hearing through my IEMs from the desk aux send so I decided to run my Radial Bassbone from the through connection of the DI then take a DI lead into one of the inputs of my Behringer P1. (That's the one on the right with the Radial sticker on it)

I'm running the P1 in dual mono so I have whatever sound I want coming in one side and the feed from the desk with everyone else that I want to hear coming in through the other one.

20211218_172434.jpg

5 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

What is it you want to send to the desk?

FOH EQ is really best left to the sound person, as they will primarily be intending to make it sound good in the room, and are in the correct position to be able to listen for what is required. Unless you are able to discuss a specific sound with them, there is every chance that you may be exacerbating issues out in the room and have your EQ undone at the desk anyway.

If FOH haven't EQ'd the PA for the room that's for them to fix first.

My bass sound is sparingly EQ'd with some preamp flavour. If it's all boomy in the room it's because they haven't EQ'd the fine PA.

If you wanted to spend some money then a JHS Colourbox V2 is basically a studio channel strip which offers good tone sculpting, a couple of transformers in the signal chain and has di out for FOH and 1/4” out to run to amp, fx board iem etc. 

Edited by krispn

Sound guy should be taking your bass signal di'd from your amp (or di pedal) but pre eq. Ie flat, then whatever you do on stage eq wise doesnt affect his sound.

Otherwise your amp of choice and any amp colour is completely pointless if hes going to FOH before your amp or pedal.

Edited by la bam

The point in your signal chain where you have defined your tone should be where the DI feed to FoH comes from. That might be from your amp but of course if, say for monitoring purposes, you want a different sound on stage to that out the PA then you're going to have to split your signal.

I've now got to a stage where I get my tone from the pedal board, so the feed to the PA comes from there and my backline is just for monitoring.