Why become a member? ×

Long and Curlees

probonopublico

A bit of a saga this one.  In 1988 I finished my playing career.  I was never going to make it and the residency in a pub on Hessle Rd (Hull reference) where the audience was mainly sex workers, burglars who wanted to fence gear and Norwegian sailors.  I thought it’s time to call it a day.  I was playing with a guitarist and drum machine and had two basses.  A Fender P to play at the pub and another which I left at the guitarist’s house for rehearsals. 

So, one night in April 1988 (I remember as that famous Yorkshire song Reet Petite had just been re-released) I left a rehearsal never to return.  The bass was left with the guitarist.  It went out of my mind as I got a proper job and career.  Fast forward 33 years and whilst I’ve resumed playing (acoustic guitar – yeah I know) I met up with a friend who knew the guitarist.  He’d mentioned the bass and to cut a long story short I rang the guitarist (who at 75 does lighting and PA’s) and arranged to collect it.

It’s been untouched apart from moving 6 times with him.  His missus kept on nagging him “when are you going to give that bass back?  Why does it move with us every 6 years?”  It’s moved from Hull to Lincolnshire to Sheffield.  I was in my 20’s last time I saw it.  I acquired it new in 1979 by swapping a jetglow 4001.  I’m now 63.  He put a new set of strings on it and had it set up.  As you can see it needs a bit of cleaning (where there's brass there's muck) and some screws are missing.  It may be me getting old but it weighs a ton, much more than my Fenders or Rick.  Still sounds good.  I’ll post when I’ve got it back to it’s former glory.   c1.thumb.jpg.f5900a70c234885da9890beee2c41a5b.jpgc2.thumb.jpg.b150bbc6aac4890901b4192b49d69f61.jpgc3.thumb.jpg.068585c9751b6454264dab30330a96db.jpgc4.thumb.jpg.06915fe623aafef148e213365e3fe519.jpgc5.thumb.jpg.550a1ad0d3d711bf8df775336848866f.jpg

• Like 21

1 hour ago, Boodang said:

SD Curlee... what a great blast from the past. Always thought they looked a bit like they were made of wood from left over crates and carved with a rusty pen knife. I think their rustic charm was why I always wanted one back in the day.

Yes, you are right.  I noticed when I got it back that the bridge is off centre between the two narrow light stripes.  

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Sounds like an interesting pub 😁

Yes, we played there for a year.  Something happened every other week.  One time the pub emptied into the car park.  We followed and found that they were confronting two local scroates who were removing car wheels.  Magically, the landlord had found a supply of baseball bats and their ford fiesta got a bit of a pounding as it made off.  The faux indignation of burglars was a joy to watch.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Nice to see a bass that is a true beaten up relic / road and gigged mojo,  rather than those hideous fake reliced jobs.

I suspect it still has my sweat on it from 1988, All of the relic was done in the 80's.  Same for my 73 P.  I didn't really care if they got dings in them days.  Playing them now though it's like putting on an old glove.  Particularly the P.  In my last job I used to say to my manager - I've got a bass older than you, in fact I bought it before you were born.     

• Like 1

My first bass, around 1980ish was a Columbus Jazz.... meanwhile my mate bought an SD Curlee...  I remember being very jealous, because his bass was really lovely. It played so nicely and sounded great, it felt like a "proper" bass.... my Columbus was a very different story.

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve never been but hull sounds exiting 😁

uk_lefty is right although he missed out the smell of fish.  I'm not too popular round these parts for my views on Hull.  Although it did give me the opportunity to appear naked in the Guardian.  I once worked in Ilford for 2 years to get away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NikNik said:

I never knew Curlees had that large back-plate! What's under it?

It's a curious design.  It's a straight through neck that finishes at the bridge and I think it helps keep the neck in place.  I suppose you could call it an elongated pocket.  I've taken the plate off so you can see.  The non screw hole at the front goes straight through to the truss rod recess.  

c6.thumb.jpg.a13c43519779defc8a520e8ba70ad92e.jpg  

• Like 2