Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

14 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

Ooooh, and if you scan the QR code, you get the product page for the new Rootmaster head, even though they've hidden the link on the website. Can't find the one for the OriginAL though.

https://ashdownmusic.com/pages/rootmaster-evo-iii

I did this too 🤣. I'm sure the website home page will be updated in the next couple of days.

Interestingly they only have the 800w version there which is black, I imagine the 500w will be silver. I have an EVO II and absolutely do not need an upgrade to the EVO III. Will I somehow justify it to myself ? Probably.

EDIT: They have updated: https://ashdownmusic.com/pages/namm-2024

Edited by Machines
  • Like 1

On 26/11/2023 at 17:46, Bass Fumbler said:

I’m also having issues with the eq on my ABM600 in that the VU meter is permanently in the red when I’m playing live. 
I’ve put an Ampeg compressor in front which has tamed the signal. My only problem is that I don’t like the compressed sound. 
is there anything else I can use to tame the signal other than using a compressor?

Are you having to turn gain and master to full in order to get a decent level of volume through your cabinet? The first time I owned an ABM 500, back in the day, I put it through a 1x15 cab that wasn't very efficient. This mean I couldn't get loud enough to play with a loud drummer and a loud guitarist without putting the needle way into the red (gain and master maxed). The reason was, that my cab just wasn't efficient enough (it was a TC Electronic 2x10).

I ended up selling the ABM and buying a TC Electronic head.

A few later I bought a Barefaced Compact 1x15 and recently I bought a secondhand ABM 500. I tried it with the Barefaced and because the cab is so efficient I no longer had the same problem.

What cab are you putting your amp through?

Edited by gjones

Are you having to turn gain and master to full in order to get a decent level of volume through your cabinet? The first time I owned an ABM 500, back in the day, I put it through a 1x15 cab that wasn't very efficient. This mean I couldn't get loud enough to play with a loud drummer and a loud guitarist without putting the needle way into the red (gain and master maxed). The reason was, that my cab just wasn't efficient enough (it was a TC Electronic 2x10).

I ended up selling the ABM and buying a TC Electronic head.

A few later I bought a Barefaced Compact 1x15 and recently I bought a secondhand ABM 500. I tried it with the Barefaced and because the cab is so efficient I no longer had the same problem.

What cab are you putting your amp through?

Hi, I think I’ve got the hang of it now. I’ve stopped using the compressor & have lowered the input volume & turned up the output volume. 
I’m using a Barefaced 210 which now sounds great.  
The VU meter isn’t moving much now, which is reassuring. 
I think I was going wrong because I was copying other peoples settings on this thread. 
They are great amps, definitely worth persevering with. 

12 hours ago, JPJ said:

I do like the new blue on the EVO V

+1 to that. I think the ice blue finish on any ABM speaks volumes and is instantly recognisable as Ashdown's flagship product. The original black EVO V looks cool, the ice blue version even cooler in my opinion🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Loving the look of the Rootmaster EVO III range.

I'm sure there will be some discussion soon on the RM owners club thread but I do agree with the new look. I never cared much for the previous versions of rootmaster with the curved metal case and chrome or silver ( or red or black ) fascia. This new EVO3 looks like a premium product in a standard no frills rectangular black case and now has cab sim features not found on even an ABM.  Whats more Ashdown don't seem to have hiked the prices either which is good news for any potential buyers. I'm sure I read somewhere that these would also be rack mountable but there's no mention on the NAMM page. That would also be a very usable feature to have for me. I recall filling in an Ashdown questionaire a year or maybe even two years ago asking what wish list of products I would like to see in the future from Ashdown. One wish was a standard black box design class-D ABM style pre-amp head with an ice blue front. I'm not sure that will happen anytime soon but these new EVO3 RM's are as near as I'll get to that wish and thats not a bad thing at all. Top marks to Ashdown for aesthetics and product features on these new evolutionary models. Even the little OriginAL Evo looks the biz. I can see a lot of folks emptying out their previous RM's to update and good discounts on new old stock of EVO2's. 

• Like 2

The new RM looks great! Always though the previous ones looked fugly. 

Cab sim is a great addition. The previous RMs had a headphone jack? Hopefully this is the same and would make for a great head for home and gigging...

33 minutes ago, Ramsay777 said:

The new RM looks great! Always though the previous ones looked fugly. 

Cab sim is a great addition. The previous RMs had a headphone jack? Hopefully this is the same and would make for a great head for home and gigging...

.. and recording and as a Di if it has cab sim too. 

A bit of positive feedback on a miserable Sunday ......
ABM 600Evo IV just back from Dave at Ashdown to check out a "hypothetical" buzz.  Disassembled/reassembled/soak tested - nothing wrong, amp in perfect nick.  "Check your leads" was Dave's advice!
The amps been a back-up for a while but I used it at an important gig on Friday. 
We weren't that loud (although the venue turned off the sound limiter equipment after the first song!!) and it was barely ticking over.  I'd forgotten just how good it is - lots of positive comments and I was able to dial out the slightly mid-forward" tone my bass is prone too for the first time in ages.
So - big call out for Ashdown and Dave in particular - FANTASTIC customer support and happy owner.(my other amp will find it's way onto the "for sale" listings shortly!!)

TheVenueJeffsDo.thumb.jpg.776a0e610f0cc2ec37e705998e140a73.jpg

Venuebassrig.thumb.png.099dbf209cdfc699804e1ab58810c85c.png

• Like 4

Had exactly the same conversation with Dave. I sent him my leads when I sent an amp for a service after it had cut out a couple of times. 

He checked all the leads and confirmed the connectors weren't fake Speakon ( apparently that's a thing )..

Great service as you say.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaleASmith said:

Had exactly the same conversation with Dave. I sent him my leads when I sent an amp for a service after it had cut out a couple of times. 

He checked all the leads and confirmed the connectors weren't fake Speakon ( apparently that's a thing )..

Yep - I did confess to Dave that I had a boxful of broken leads awaiting my feeble soldering skills - he just said .... "pop 'em in - I'll fix them for you"  .  Almost worth the 300 mile trip😊.    

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DaleASmith said:

Yeah, Dave has Views on fake Speakon leads.

• Like 1

On 26/01/2024 at 22:30, alexa3020 said:

Yep headphone out is on the back.

Good overview here:

Not to clutter the ABM thread too much with this but I am sold tbh.

I currently just have an ABM 410 that I run a GenzBenz through, would love an ABM head but i'd miss a lot of the things the GB can do with regards to home playing, quiet practice etc.

The new RM feels like a great option for me wanting to scratch the Ashdown itch!

• Like 1

Had a great tone with my ABM last night using the pre-shape button but also leaving the EQ on and boosting the mids a little.  I also have an Ashdown Spyder - would replicating the preshape on the ABM just be a case of scooping the mids on the spyder and boosting the bass and treble?  Is it that simple?

• 2 weeks later...

Have just taken collection of this ABM Evo III head. I’ve been using an old ABM 300 in rehearsals for the last few months and been blown away by it, so I snapped this one up from this very parish. 

I’ve been using Markbass for years and love the sound I’ve got but this ABM was a bargain so I couldn’t say no to some experimentation.

Frankly it sounds absolutely massive!!

I’ve not had a chance to gig it yet (and my next gig has an SVT and 8x10 provided anyway) but even noodling at home its excruciatingly loud (apparently you can turn down the volume but where’s the fun in that eh?).

I’m interested to see how that valvey growl translates to onstage sound. My Markbass stuff sounds clear and precise - some say boring - on its own, but as part of a band it fits right in. I wonder if the sounds Im liking from the Ashdown now might all be a bit OTT on stage. One way to find out…

IMG_2499.jpeg

• Like 4