Why become a member? ×

N.A D. Ashdown ABM 600

artisan

15 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

It's a funny one, the Sub feature. I quite like it as a "lazy octaver", I call it that because there's a song I'm doing where I want a clean octave down effect and it's easier to push this button than mess about with my Helix to find the octaver that isn't farty. Can't imagine using it as an always-on though, that would be too much.

What not set a Snapshot on the Helix?

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I really am going to have to try an ABM again.

Might talk to Dave Green to see if it would be safe to install a fan bypass switch or a half speed switch for when the amp is at say only up to 1/4 on the volume.

I've not heard the fans on mine,didn't come on at all at house volume & after a 2 hour gig I check 5 minutes after finishing,fans weren't on.

42 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Weird. Was that an upgrade?

When I tried one the fans came on instantly.

My ABM 500 EVO II fans come on when I turn it on and are pretty loud, but I love the sound of this thing so it's a small price to pay.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Greatbiglows said:

Anybody use an Ashdown ABM500 with Markbass cabs? Would be interested to know what amp settings are used with these. Toying with moving to a Markbass head.

Whatever you want, there is no specific setting.

That being said, we did notice in the south west cab shootout that the markbass cabs were noticably coloured for bass, in a way the others weren't.

On 03/11/2021 at 21:03, BassAdder27 said:

I find that the drive sounds better when the EQ isn’t too bass heavy 

I saw an Ashdown demo where they cranked the input gain and drive gain for a filthy sound.

VU meter needle was permanently in the red !! 

Yeah, a good while back I was wingeing to Dave Green at Ashdown about wimpy oomph.  He thought I was being far to wimpy with the settings, and counselled me to wizz the gain way up so the signal is only just still clean, and then if necessary pile on the volume and even the EQ settings. Effectively taking a comfortable practice setting and overegging every single setting by the same amount.  

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes I found that Markbass cabs seem to have a high-end roll-off, making them much warmer/bassier than equivalent cabs from other manufacturers. 

Indeed, but not just a roll off, quite boosted in the mid bass. Ultimately I think it is something you would need to compensate for in your amp, unless you have a markbass amp, where it already I assume is.

• 1 month later...
On 04/11/2021 at 08:29, artisan said:

Lol,I'm an old hand at this malarkey now after 36 years or so of gigging😁

I've been using a Darkglass Microtubes 900 for the last 3 years but after using an old class A B at a new rehearsal room on Monday I notice there was so much "more" to the tone,hence my purchase 😀 

Can't wait to unleash it 

I’m thinking about an ABM600 as an alternative to my (much loved) GB Streamliner 900. How are you finding the ABM? Still loving it? Tell me that I won’t miss the extra 300 watts of power amp! 😆

On 16/05/2022 at 19:18, Nickthebass said:

I’m thinking about an ABM600 as an alternative to my (much loved) GB Streamliner 900. How are you finding the ABM? Still loving it? Tell me that I won’t miss the extra 300 watts of power amp! 😆

Yes definitely still loving it & it has absolutely bags of power on tap.

The Darkglass was rated at 900 Watts & if anything the ABM feels much more powerful,the controls work in a more pleasing way too.

It would be hard to make this amp sound crap I think.

• Like 1