Why become a member? ×

Er...value of cars vs basses.

Kiwi

I've just had a look at the value of my car and its about the same as the price as the Celinder Update J I sold recently (depreciation on the car of about 50% over the 3 years I've owned it). When I compare the two in terms of mechanical sophistication, technology and sheer amenity, there's no comparison. The car should be worth way more.

I know its to do with market forces and all that but still nevertheless, the idea of trading my car (with its ABS, airbags, electric windows, cd player/radio, precision engineering etc.) for a couple of bits of wood bolted together with some hardware, magnets and basic wiring doesn't seem quite right. Any one else feel the same way?

Looking at it like that makes me look at breakers yards like goldmines now!

I'm sure there are examples of cars selling for more than the sum of their parts: I'm a VW enthusiast and often see 50 year old cars selling for tens of thousands. That's an aircooled boxer engine, 4 speed tranny and power-nothings. My active Jazz is more sophisticated!

Edited by Biggsy

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='453277' date='Apr 3 2009, 12:43 PM']The car should be worth way more.
[...]
Any one else feel the same way?[/quote]

Yes! Rule of thumb for me: bass should cost no more than 1/10 of the cost of car; car should cost no more than 1/10 of the cost of the house.

[quote name='The Funk' post='453313' date='Apr 3 2009, 01:06 PM']Yes! Rule of thumb for me: bass should cost no more than 1/10 of the cost of car; car should cost no more than 1/10 of the cost of the house.[/quote]

Everytime you want to get a more expensive bass you force yourself to get a more expensive car? I like your lifestyle! :)

I've often thought about that. How about the analogy of buying a banged up 30 year old car and putting up a mark-up and calling it a reliced piece. 'Fraid I'm guilty of buying into that myself. It's interesting to see how and for what reasons people assign certain value to items.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='453370' date='Apr 3 2009, 02:11 PM']Everytime you want to get a more expensive bass you force yourself to get a more expensive car? I like your lifestyle! :rolleyes:[/quote]

In the current housing market, it means I might have to move house to keep my basses!
:)

As a side tangent:

Anyone got an old car? If yes, hold onto it for now, the Gov' are on the verge of releasing a new scheme to bolster business and to get newer greener cars out on the roads in place of the bangers.

Apparently they're planning on offering 2.5k for an old banger, I've no idea what they've classed an old banger as, but I'd presume it'll be pre-2001 cars or something similar, but considering a brand new car can be had for about 6k these days, and you could be getting £2.5k for a car worth £500, I'm waiting to see what happens as a new car for 3/4k on which the depreciation will be minimal is a good thing.

Also, I've managed to start all these paragraphs with the letter A.

[quote name='The Funk' post='453313' date='Apr 3 2009, 01:06 PM']Yes! Rule of thumb for me: bass should cost no more than 1/10 of the cost of car; car should cost no more than 1/10 of the cost of the house.[/quote]
Average UK House price (apparently) is £205,372
That gives Mr Average a £20K car
And (more importantly) a £2k bass budget...

Needless to say that I've not managed to adhere to this school of thought!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='453418' date='Apr 3 2009, 03:16 PM']Cars wear out, basses don't.

Alex[/quote]

My thoughts entirely.
Better still, some instruments do seem to improve with age. Cars most definitely don't!
Every time I see a pimped motor on some 18 or 19" Wheels and ultra-low profile tyres, I just think of what a quality bass could be had for the same outlay.
But different strokes for different folks, so if it's what they want to do, then fine.
I can't see any of my basses being kerbed or on a scrap-heap any time soon, though!

[quote name='Buzz' post='453452' date='Apr 3 2009, 03:54 PM']As a side tangent:

Anyone got an old car? If yes, hold onto it for now, the Gov' are on the verge of releasing a new scheme to bolster business and to get newer greener cars out on the roads in place of the bangers.

Apparently they're planning on offering 2.5k for an old banger, I've no idea what they've classed an old banger as, but I'd presume it'll be pre-2001 cars or something similar, but considering a brand new car can be had for about 6k these days, and you could be getting £2.5k for a car worth £500, I'm waiting to see what happens as a new car for 3/4k on which the depreciation will be minimal is a good thing.

Also, I've managed to start all these paragraphs with the letter A.[/quote]

The Germans brought the scheme in a while ago , which is why VW had their best Feb sales figures ever and our guys are either redundant or on short time....
British Politicians.......useless.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='453507' date='Apr 3 2009, 04:50 PM']The Germans brought the scheme in a while ago , which is why VW had their best Feb sales figures ever and our guys are either redundant or on short time....
British Politicians.......useless.[/quote]

Gotta watch those charismatic German leaders though.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='453503' date='Apr 3 2009, 04:47 PM']I've spent more on a single night out than I have on my current main bass (a USA Fender Jazz) and current car [i]combined[/i].

How's that for mixed up priorities/stupidity?[/quote]

Well ever since the Thai Lady Boys of Bangkok put up their prices for extras I'm not surprised that your wallet has suffered :rolleyes: :)

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='453510' date='Apr 3 2009, 04:55 PM']Gotta watch those charismatic German leaders though.[/quote]

Yer, building the auto-bahn got them no where in 6 years.
Ended up back in Berlin.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='alexclaber' post='453418' date='Apr 3 2009, 03:16 PM']Cars wear out, basses don't.

Alex[/quote]

Agreed. Also, a car is not, generally, a piece of art in its own right. A bass, an expensive bass, can be -- thus it's more.

Think about if you bought the car equivalent of an expensive bass, it would probably set you back over 250K...comparing a very high end bass to a cheapish car is not very fair. Compare the 3K car to my bass, then the scale is about right. :)

But I get the OP's point.