Why become a member? ร—

INCOMING!! Another Kay ๐Ÿ˜†

Maude

This is a thread I started a few months ago as a NBD, but as usual it's turned into something more suited to the Build Diaries section.ย 

So here it is ๐Ÿ˜.ย 

ย 

I bought an Epiphone acoustic guitar today for a workmates daughter, and while I was chatting to the seller he said he had an old 80s bass that needed some sorting. We'd spoke about fixing up cheap old gear and he thought it would be right up my street, and I was welcome to it if I wanted it, as it was just in the way.ย 

We met at his workplace (a really cool place that makes vintage pressed number plates, full of really old machinery BTW ๐Ÿ˜Ž) so he didn't have it with him but he said he send some pictures.ย 

Well he just has and it's an old Kay version of the 80s Aria SB/Westone Thunder type of bass. Natural wood, neck through PJ, active electrics by the look of the switching.ย 

ย 

I've been after a bass in this style for a while and am over the moon with his offer.ย 

I'll pick it up in the week hopefully, and give him something for it anyway.ย 

ย 

Bored yet? Yes? OK, pictures then.ย 

ย 

uHiboMl.jpg

ย 

5jKF9iA.jpg

ย 

wvnRDcE.jpg

ย 

Any info about these basses gratefully received. Plywood wings and presumably heavy as hell.ย 

ย 

I'll update when I've got it.ย 

ย 

๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

Edited by Maude
  • Like 15

Yeah looking at it more it's not ply. I looked at all the lines on the front and thought ply, but the grain on the back is obvious it's not. D'oh! ๐Ÿ™„

ย 

Bridge looks a bit new and generic, and I agree the knobs are replacement.ย 

ย 

5 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

They sound seriously good Maudeย 

The J pickup looks very close to the bridge, there should be plenty of nasal bark.ย 

ย 

How playable are they? Reasonable, or the standard Kay terribleness?ย 

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

The J pickup looks very close to the bridge, there should be plenty of nasal bark.ย 

ย 

How playable are they? Reasonable, or the standard Kay terribleness?ย 

They areย very well made basses, and play surprisingly good, the pickups are quite powerful and they balance wellย 

• Like 1

I'm looking at the pictures and wondering what sort cavalier, off the wall, eccentric decided the darker strip of wood shouldn't go in the middle ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿคฃ.ย 

ย 

Maybe it's aged that way.ย 

• Haha 1

It's a rebranded Cort, passive, loud, punchy pickups (called 'PowerSound') and no plywood anywhere. These were great quality Korean-made budget instruments from about 1980, easily up to the standard of many similar Japanese basses of the era.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've said it too many times before, but my first bass was a Kay - it was one of their Rick copies, and it was absolutely awful.
But when I first saw one of these, back in around 1980 / 81? - I could tell immediately that these basses were way way better quality than my old Kay.

In fact, there were quite a few around for sale back then, and I often pondered getting one, but never did.
Since my return to playing, I have occasionally thought about getting one of these. I always liked the look of them - the shape, the colours of the different wood types, the through neck construction, and brass hardware. It all looks rather lovely. Looks like you have a real bargain there - nice :)ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know you like a restoration Maude and I think you will thoroughly enjoy doing this one, they are definitelyย gigable and the P pickup sounds really nice, my one is to my knowledge all original, if you need any pics of anything just shout ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

@MaudeDidnt you have a Cruiser By Crafter P on the go?

What haven't I got on the go!? ๐Ÿ˜†

ย 

I do have far too many nearly finished projects, and a couple barely started.ย 

ย 

I bought the Cruiser because it was on my route to work and ยฃ20.ย 

I don't really know what I'm going to do with it, but something will happen in the future. I like the look of the Warman quad rail pickups and may put one or two of them in it for a laugh.ย 

9 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I've seen these with several different names on the headstock. They all seem to be well built.

Cort made literally dozens of variations on the same through-neck, triple brass dot inlay template. There's even a twin-neck guitar!
ย 

888592312_CortTwinNeck01.thumb.jpg.51c47ed3cbd6e2c2ba379c46f18e7abb.jpg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Cort made literally dozens of variations on the same through-neck, triple brass dot inlay template. There's even a twin-neck guitar!
ย 

888592312_CortTwinNeck01.thumb.jpg.51c47ed3cbd6e2c2ba379c46f18e7abb.jpg

Hmm that looks lightweight ๐Ÿ˜

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Good god that's squalid. You'd think they'd at least hose it down before taking pics. ๐Ÿคข

ย 

On 22/08/2021 at 21:10, PaulThePlug said:

Think @Reggaebassย had something similar a while back... thru neck... and those fret markers jog my memmory - brass?

ย 

Found It...

ย 

No idea how I missed @Reggaebass' thread, this sort of thing being of interest to me - and it's a pity I did, because I think I've got a brass Kay trc at the bottom of a spares draw somewhere!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Bassassin said:

I think I've got a brass Kay trc at the bottom of a spares draw somewhere

That would be fantastic if you have Bassassin, it was the only thing missing on my one, no problem if you havenโ€™t, thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

6 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

That would be fantastic if you have Bassassin, it was the only thing missing on my one, no problem if you havenโ€™t, thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Just had a quick look and it's not where I thought it would be. I think a few things got misplaced in a house move a few years back but it should be around somewhere. I'll have a proper root around & let you know if I manage to flush it out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1