Why become a member? ×

INCOMING!! Another Kay 😆

Maude

12 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Whens the Final Whistle?

'... Come on you Naturals!..'

About now I reckon. 

I'm edging on side of stained, so it's now 3-3.

What now penalties? 

I've been eyeing up the Aria SB series which has always been the inspiration for wanting a Westone Thunder, or similar like this Kay, so I reckon matching headstock is only right. Plus it will disguise that bizarre dark strip of wood somewhat. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Had a go, not sure it'll be much help...

Stained.thumb.jpg.cc3021a853e37009391c1edf5ba31b51.jpg

Thanks for doing that but the deed's already done. 

The very hard maple and walnut (or whatever it is) in the neck thru part doesn't absorb the ink like the pine so I'm just trying to match the tone of colour to the body. 

But there's no going back now. 😁

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

The buyer turned up & realised it's got a 30 degree neck twist, I suspect.

I got all confused (yeah yeah, I know it's easy) I though the twisted neck one earlier in the thread was your old one, not the ebay one. 

Back on KBRC, it'll hopefully get it lacquered tomorrow. 

I've not put 2K acrylic over ink before so it could all end in a spectacularly difficult to rectify balls up. 

The ink is waterbased though so fingers crossed it won't be affected by the lacquer. 

Must remember to use solvent, not water based degreaser. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Maude said:

I got all confused (yeah yeah, I know it's easy) I though the twisted neck one earlier in the thread was your old one, not the ebay one.

The neck on mine did have a slight twist as it happens, not enough to have any effect on playability. Surprising though, considering the construction.

• 2 months later...

Another thread reminded me that I never updated this thread. 

As I was doing this bass I decided I'd had enough of my job and left. I'm still panel beating, but in a smaller bodyshop half a mile from the home, rather than the 50 mile round commute I was doing. 

The money's not as good but it's a lot more relaxed and they appreciate what I do for them. Money isn't everything. 

Anyway, I hurriedly lacquered the bass before I left but as the lacquer is straight onto woodgrain, which had slightly raised from the waterbased ink, the finish isn't deep enough. 

I've flatted as much as I dare, as I don't want to break through, but there are still low spots in the grain. I want a completely flat finish. 

It just needs another couple of coats of lacquer but it's too cold now for me to do it at home, and I haven't been at the new job long enough to start borrowing the spray booth. 😁

It will be finished and it will be be lovely, but not just yet. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well well well, impatience rears it's ugly head. 

In an ideal world this, as mentioned above, would get another couple of coats of lacquer. But I'm home and want to finish it. 

I flatted as much as I dared and then infilled any little low spots with superglue. Superglue polishes up nicely and it was mainly along the borders between differing woods that needed filling. In certain light you can just see the difference between lacquer and superglue, but as it's over woodgrain, not a solid colour, it's very difficult to see unless you know what you're looking for. 

A, you can barely see it. 

B, it's an old Kay that was free. 

C, I need to stop being so fussy. 😁

Now the body/neck is done I need to do something to stabilise those pickup casings. More superglue I expect, or some black resin, depends what I've got at home. I've got a Wilkinson bridge with brass ferrules in my parts box which will suit and a set of gold speed knobs. I'm sure I've got enough spare looms to be able to renew the wiring and pots as well. 

The TRC and nut have been polished and lacquered. 

Just the neck and frets to sort then. 

Horrible indoor lighting photos. 

aBqiGYL.jpeg

1IvDeqA.jpeg

ZKs6yHG.jpeg

PKluaof.jpeg

LDm6cjM.jpeg

• Like 12

The fretboard is now the big let down. I'll give the frets a level and polish, and might look at dyeing the board black to look like ebony. 

It's already very dark and I've a feeling it's a cheap wood dyed black originally. I'll look at it in the daylight tomorrow, I think we get some between about half twelve and one at the moment. 😉

If I'd had time before leaving my last job I'd have prepped the fretboard and dyed it black, polished up the brass fretmarkers and lacquered the whole thing. It would've kept the markers nice and shiny and looked quite good as well I reckon. 

• Like 1

The tuners are cleaned up the best I can and back on, and the neck looks surprisingly nice. 

H2swSLs.jpeg

Now here's the daft one. The cavity cover is a very poorly made black one. I thought I would had some single ply black sheet left from the BB424X scratchplate I made but I don't think there's enough. What I have got to hand is some pearloid bronze left from the Hofner Artist (yeah yeah, not finished either 😉). It kind of goes with the neck colours so would it be rediculous to make a rear cover from that, the front knobs are gold so all the colours tie together? Or stick with boring old black? 🤔

EHfZrwI.jpeg

1xZW5YF.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1