Why become a member? ×

INCOMING!! Another Kay 😆

Maude

13 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Just had a quick look and it's not where I thought it would be. I think a few things got misplaced in a house move a few years back but it should be around somewhere. I'll have a proper root around & let you know if I manage to flush it out!

Thanks for looking, much appreciated 👍

3 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Found it! As ever it was in the last place I looked. :D

PM me your details and I'll bung it in the post.

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s most kind of you, much appreciated Bassassin 🙂

The power of BC - love it! More of this, less of that shouty bollox.

• Like 4

I picked up the Kay last night, I'll have a proper look tomorrow and report back (with pictures of course 😉). 

I was a proper freebie in the end, the owner wouldn't take any money, I even tried saying, "Look, at least take twenty quid and go and get a takeaway or a couple of bottles of wine and have a night in on me." Nope, wouldn't take it. 

Said he just wants it out the way and it sounds like you'll do something with it, even said he'd considered just chopping it up and sticking out with the rubbish 🥺

I'll report back tomorrow with the full health check results. 

• Like 2

On 25/08/2021 at 20:50, Waddycall said:

I reckon that’s asking for a de-fret!

I have thought about that. 

The neck looks to be quite chunky and I prefer a slimmer neck. If I defretted it I could shave the neck down to my preference at the same time with minimal fuss. 

I'll see when I have a proper look at it tomorrow it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

They aren’t that chunky Maude, it’s similar to my precision , 42mm nut but fairly shallow front to back, I play jazzes and find it quite comfortable 🙂

I'll have a proper look over it tomorrow. 👍

When I picked it up the chap said he'd just noticed a little crack in the pickup casing. 

Mate, you're giving it to me. Have a word with yourself! 😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

I'll have a proper look over it tomorrow. 👍

When I picked it up the chap said he'd just noticed a little crack in the pickup casing. 

Mate, you're giving it to me. Have a word with yourself! 😁

Sounds like a really nice guy 👍

• Like 1

Well, it's a tale of two halves. Externally, it's all good really, it'll get a full make over but no real issues. Internally, holy guacamole Batman! We'll get to that in a bit. 

The wood is very dry feeling and slightly rough, so I'll probably take off any finish and give a fresh oil and wax finish, or possibly clear lacquer, not decided yet. Maybe even dye the outer body wings red. 

OgBNvdF.jpg

It's had a thumb rest added at some point, but that's the worst part externally, it's not even got any real chips or dings. 

Pickup covers are starting to crack, but from what's been said about the tone I want to keep them. I'll probably try and stabilise the covers with superglue and polish them up. 

pIT7KqR.jpg

The cavity cover is a home made one that's not the best so will be making a new one. Maybe a nice brass one to match the TRC. 

77zqRBr.jpg

H4yKG1G.jpg

Does anyone know if these are the original strap buttons? 

MDfNwb5.jpg

Internally 🙈

Apparently it works but the pots are crackly and only work in certain positions. As it looks like someone has been storing salt in the control cavity I'm not surprised. 

zc7wjB3.jpg

Look at the state of these pots. 

hxo5zvI.jpg

gZLgqRu.jpg

lSFOrMt.jpg

The pickups have been glued in, which coupled with already very fragile, cracked casings made removal more like a surgical procedure. 

W8wkOF5.jpg

But they're out in one piece, and the cavities are a mess. 

OkZmDvo.jpg

XcvEgiq.jpg

W7FTaKp.jpg

It's nothing that can't be fixed though, and it should be a great little bass once done. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Here’s a pic of my strap button and control cavity if it’s any help 🙂

What, any help in making sure mine looks like a backed up sewer? 

Yeah thanks for that!! 

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

What do the original bridges look like? 

I reckon I'll probably put a Fender or Gotoh high mass one on. They're reasonably cheap and look like an actual upgrade rather than 'I haven't got the right bridge so just stuck a chinese BBOT on', if you know what I mean. 

15 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Getting GAS for another one of these after seeing all these pics!

Don’t know if this is of any interest bassassin 🙂https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-K-Catalog-Bass-Giutar-Collection-Only-Manchester-/185020757029?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Like 1

I you had a clear enough picture it would be easy to get a reproduction. 

I'm now thinking about getting a waterslide one had putting it on before I lacquer mine. 

🙂

Apart from stripping there's no progress on the mine at the mo, currently sat in the garden making my reverse P, BB scratchplate. 

• Like 1