Why become a member? ×

Band Progress

Guest BassAdder27

Band progress is often something that can lead to frustration and upset

My current band formed during lockdown and since we have been allowed to meet for real we have had only three practices and have about 15 covers sorted with 15 more to make our setlist 

The speed of progress has been delayed by lack of practices/ rehearsals and where I’m more enjoying weekly or fortnightly practices until the band gets tight we are lucky if we get together once per month. 

Half the band have jobs that make it difficult to plan dates for rehearsals and that leaves me waiting around of course 

For this reason I’ve started a second band to fulfil my appetite for playing etc 

Interested in what you guys think, is a band really going to make progress if only meeting once a month ?

We are a mature bunch playing rock covers 

In the past I would only focus on one band but today seems quite common to have multiple projects running. 

Edited by BassAdder27

If you're doing covers you should be able to move along if everyone is doing some homework - since the songs are already there and you have a recording to practice along to.

If people won't do the homework, then you won't progress even if you rehearse every week.

• Like 2

If everyone is competent and does their own practice/learning properly inbetween rehearsals then once a month could work - but it does rely upon everyone doing their bit.

I'm in two bands who do rehearse almost every week, it's partitioned into one covers band and one originals band so it takes up different spaces in my brain.

Dunno if I could cope with being in more than two bands at a time - I would feel like I was spread a bit too thin.

It depends on how dedicated everyone is. Theoretically it should be possible. 

But we all know that there’s usually at least one guy that uses the rehearsals to learn the songs, and if this turns out to be the case, progress will be painfully slow and frustrating.

I’ve played with guys that always showed up completely unprepared, so we’d hack through a handful of songs while the usual suspect tried desperately to learn his parts. Everyone went home whizzed off, and the next week was a carbon copy of the previous one—very often with lazy guy still trying to pick up the previous weeks songs. 

Needless to say, these groups crash and burn pretty quickly. 

As far as I’m concerned, learning ten or fifteen songs in a month is easy. So really it just comes down to everyone’s ability and dedication. 

• Like 1

I’d echo the replies above. The get-togethers need to be rehearsals not practices if you’re going to get anything like the maximum benefit from the limited time together. I will add something from my own experience. When choosing covers to play make sure everyone agrees the actual version you are starting with. It’s very frustrating when band members do the homework but learn different versions of a song, even sometimes by different artists. 

• Like 1

I've just knocked my 80s band on the head today, sadly. Rehearsals were not productive enough, not everyone was learning their parts or was maybe being half hearted. The guitarist sat us all down and said to make real progress we need a month of weekly rehearsals. I said great, but can't be August cos I'm away or busy every week! But the more I thought about it I thought about the fact that we had 14 songs on the go but very few could we just pitch up and play competently all the way through. Putting in more time and effort would have led to more frustration. I had quite a few nights after rehearsals where I couldn't sleep for a few hrs just thinking about things. I don't have that with the band I joined that was already established and I just slot in, learn my parts and when someone isn't so sure on a bit we are well rehearsed enough to pull that person through. 

Take a step back and see is it one person slowing things down, are people saying they want to do X but their commitment won't get them there? Might be a harsh decision to be made. Or be honest, tell them it's all good fun but it's going slow so you're prioritising another band that moves faster. 

Edited by uk_lefty

The point is I like rehearsing and band practice as it makes the band tighter and you get to know your band buddies better 

My current band feels like a group of strangers !! 

I get a buzz out of playing as a band and I’m missing that in this slow band 

last night I rehearsed with my Stereophonics band. We last played together 2 years ago. We have only done one gig and we had 2 rehearsals for it.

Ran through the set last night twice. 2nd run through was really good.

The point is here, everyone does their homework before rehearsal and the result is good.

I joined a function band this year too. It was all on me to learn the stuff, which I did. we gigged, it was great, got rebooked immediately.

If it takes too long to come together, it doesn't work IMO

• Like 2

That’s a good point, in a band I was in years ago it would take at least 2 months of weekly rehearsals for a new (cover) song to bear any semblance to  the original. At the time I didn’t know better but the band I joined afterwards it would take us a few goes through to get a song pretty much spot on. 

• Like 1

I'm lucky to have been playing for ten years with the same two blokes - the singer/guitarist/keys-when-he-has-to is the band leader, the drummer reads (and is the best I've ever played with, he spent years on the cruise circuit)...we're at the point where, for instance, the BL has just sent us four new covers for our first gig back a week Saturday, and we won't bother rehearsing them...when we go out as a four-piece (usually for weddings and functions), we use good deps, so we don't rehearse with them, either...

On the other hand, I was in a Rock covers band a while back, and despite the two guitarists (one was the singer) being technically very, very good, it just seemed to be endless bi-weekly rehearsals, and live we weren't half as good. The drummist was the forgetful one...the band didn't last all that long...

Funnily enough, we also have an originals band, we've recruited one of the Rock band guitarists into it, and he's had a real culture shock - the BL is the same, and he chops and changes stuff all the time e.g. 'Can you put some slide guitar over the intro? OK, 2-3-4...', so your improv chops have to be pretty good. After the first rehearsal the new guy came over to me and said 'Is he always like that?'  As I say, he's a great guitarist in a learned-it, note-for-note way, but for the first time in a long time he's out of his comfort zone...and he's enjoying it... 🙂

If I joined a new band, I'd expect to have three or four songs a rehearsal done and dusted, then, once gigging, we'd only rehearse for new stuff...

IMHO it's possible to do covers when meeting once a month BUT I've always found that the band sounds like a bunch of guys playing covers rather than a good covers band.  Rehearsals are required to build the chemistry and tighten it up.  I suppose once a month and then intensive sessions prior to a gig would work, but it's no substitute for building a proper relationship.

• Like 2

Actually, when I said 'I'd expect...', I should really have said 'I'd hope...', because that'd indicate I was playing with some very good musicians...

We had a guitarist dep for a couple of wedding gigs a while ago who was a session player for some big names - he was in between jobs and wanted some quick cash (and he wasn't cheap, either), but maaaaan, he was a revelation; no rehearsal  - we did offer, but he said he didn't need it, and he was right - absolutely fantastic. It was a pleasure and an education playing with him...you know that thing they say about 'Don't be the smartest person in the room, or you'll never learn'? That.

Quick example; we do/did Jump for weddings, and I jokingly said 'You been practicing the solo?' and he said 'Yeah, I had a quick look at it last night...I've heard the song' (he'd had three days' notice for the gig) and we all sideyed each other a bit*, but...nailed, note for note...

* That Jump solo usually sorts the Dep Men from the Boys... 🙂

Edited by Muzz

19 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

The point is I like rehearsing and band practice as it makes the band tighter and you get to know your band buddies better 

My current band feels like a group of strangers !! 

I get a buzz out of playing as a band and I’m missing that in this slow band 

Wish we lived closer, id come and play keys with you. we have exactly the same feelings toward this.

As i dont work at the moment its quite frustrating that im sitting around going over the songs, ready for the next rehearsal, only for something to cause the rehearsal to not happen. it cant be helped, but i dont think the rest of the band realise how 'in to it' i am.

For this reason ive also joined another band. They arent much better, but the two are going to offset each other hopefully, at least until my guitarist's wrist has healed.

I had a meeting with the founder of the band and we both agreed it’s on a path to failure and certainly not giving us the band fun we wanted 

The guitarist needs to be honest with himself and the band that if you haven’t got time to be in a band then don’t be in a band !! 

A slow part of the band drags it backwards and I’m sure this has been the demise of many a band 

Edited by BassAdder27

On 11/08/2021 at 14:40, BassAdder27 said:

Band progress is often something that can lead to frustration and upset

My current band formed during lockdown and since we have been allowed to meet for real we have had only three practices and have about 15 covers sorted with 15 more to make our setlist 

The speed of progress has been delayed by lack of practices/ rehearsals and where I’m more enjoying weekly or fortnightly practices until the band gets tight we are lucky if we get together once per month. 

Half the band have jobs that make it difficult to plan dates for rehearsals and that leaves me waiting around of course 

For this reason I’ve started a second band to fulfil my appetite for playing etc 

Interested in what you guys think, is a band really going to make progress if only meeting once a month ?

We are a mature bunch playing rock covers 

In the past I would only focus on one band but today seems quite common to have multiple projects running. 

I used to be the same and just focus on one band.

I see the same issues as yourself in that band members work commitments have slowed down rehearsals and we struggle to arrange rehearsals.

Before covid we rehearsed every 2 weeks but did a 6hr session which cut down on travel times and fuel costs for us all.

I went with a 2nd band but they changed attitude and only wanted to play 5 or 6 gigs a year but still rehearse for 2hrs every week which for me was 40 miles away along country roads which took me 75-90mins each way. It was costing me £50/mth just to rehearse. That band folded this week.

I was then asked if i was interested in taking over bass duties in mates punk band who gig every couple of weeks and sometimes more. He is the drummer in my other main band so that works out quite well.

I've spent a lot of money on new Mesa gear during covid and just want to get out there and gig with it and have a bit of fun as well. 

There's no reason why you need to stick with one band provided you have the time to learn the songs.

Dave

On 11/08/2021 at 14:40, BassAdder27 said:

This is where I’ve found platforms like JamKazam most useful. My most recent band is a rock covers affair. We’ve put together three x 1 hour sets and have been in a room together twice since we started last year. Our first gig is in three weeks time. As @ambientsays, the learning is done beforehand. We use JamKazam to get to the next stage which is making sure we’re all playing the right thing at the same time and we then use our valuable rehearsal room time for the final polish.

It’s the first time I’ve been down this route and it does seem to work very well. We had a quick practice on line last night, running through the most problematic songs (Rush/The Who/Genesis) for an hour or so and then switched off when we were done.

So yes, I think it can work for you, it just depends on which approach you take. Accepted it can be tricky if you can only rehearse face to face, but JK and the like are a useful alternative.