Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

xilddx

[quote name='radansey' post='672869' date='Dec 3 2009, 09:24 AM']Interesting how Andrew McKinney's 62 Fender Precision has morphed into a Squier Precision in the photo on page 28. :)[/quote]

Well spotted! I was coming back from some gigs abroad and had to go straight to the photo shoot from the airport. I don't like to take my original 62 P-bass on planes so I had my 'touring bass' with me. It's a 1983 JV Squier 62 reissue with a Lindy Fralin pickup, also with flats.

Andrew

[quote name='bethnalgreen' post='673160' date='Dec 3 2009, 02:35 PM']My subscriber copy still hasn't arrived. I phoned them again (third time). They say they're posting another copy to me today.

Suggest that anyone else still waiting calls them as well - 01884 266 100 .[/quote]

Well if my copy hasn't arrived when I get home I will be contacting them.

Interestingly I remember when I used to phone to re-subscribe, I would get a very polite and helpful older-sounding gentleman who would send out the mag next day (if a copy hadn't come etc) but have found since a new person has taken over that this isn't necessarily the case...lol!

And it is improving and IMHO a better read than the US one.

[quote name='62P-Bass' post='673165' date='Dec 3 2009, 01:36 PM']Well spotted! I was coming back from some gigs abroad and had to go straight to the photo shoot from the airport. I don't like to take my original 62 P-bass on planes so I had my 'touring bass' with me. It's a 1983 JV Squier 62 reissue with a Lindy Fralin pickup, also with flats.

Andrew[/quote]

Nice :)

BTw chaps... the audio and video files for my latest style file are not up online yet.

A bereavement threw a spanner in the works, and we couldn't get everything done before the print date.

All I need are the keys parts... then a mix.. then it'll be up there.

It's sounding wicked so far :-)

d

[quote name='62P-Bass' post='673165' date='Dec 3 2009, 01:36 PM']Well spotted! I was coming back from some gigs abroad and had to go straight to the photo shoot from the airport. I don't like to take my original 62 P-bass on planes so I had my 'touring bass' with me. It's a 1983 JV Squier 62 reissue with a Lindy Fralin pickup, also with flats.

Andrew[/quote]

Is that a natural JV?, I haven't seen the pictures.
If so, I think my mate Dave has borrowed that on a couple of JTQ gigs!? Says it's an absolute peach! :)

We still haven't found him one though haha

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='673280' date='Dec 3 2009, 03:26 PM']Is that a natural JV?, I haven't seen the pictures.
If so, I think my mate Dave has borrowed that on a couple of JTQ gigs!? Says it's an absolute peach! :)

We still haven't found him one though haha

Si[/quote]

Dave Troke? Yes - he has depped for me in JTQ and borrowed the Squier. Top bloke and great player!

It's not natural finish though if that's what you mean. I think they call it Fiesta Red, but it looks more like pink or orange really. I just got that colour cos it looks like Pino's!

Andrew

[attachment=37610:IMG_0367.jpg]

[quote name='62P-Bass' post='673289' date='Dec 3 2009, 03:38 PM']Dave Troke? Yes - he has depped for me in JTQ and borrowed the Squier. Top bloke and great player!

It's not natural finish though if that's what you mean. I think they call it Fiesta Red, but it looks more like pink or orange really. I just got that colour cos it looks like Pino's!

Andrew[/quote]

Ah, that makes more sense as he's been going on about a Fiesta Red one haha, not sure where I got Natural from then!
Yeah Davey T is a good mate, and like you said, a very good, hard-working player! :)

Anyway, it looks like a beaut indeed. Maybe I'll point Dave in the direction of a Pino CS haha.
Si

[quote name='bethnalgreen' post='673160' date='Dec 3 2009, 01:35 PM']My subscriber copy still hasn't arrived. I phoned them again (third time). They say they're posting another copy to me today.

Suggest that anyone else still waiting calls them as well - 01884 266 100 .[/quote]

My sub. copy only arrived today....

Edited by yorks5stringer

Come on, cut them a bit of slack, will you guys? I had a subscription to the Angling Times (a weekly) until recently, it would almost always arrive days, even a week late, sometimes not at all. I cancelled it. It was sh*t. I've not seen complaints about BGM arriving late until now, give them a chance eh?

[quote name='silddx' post='673795' date='Dec 4 2009, 12:08 AM']Come on, cut them a bit of slack, will you guys? I had a subscription to the Angling Times (a weekly) until recently, it would almost always arrive days, even a week late, sometimes not at all. I cancelled it. It was sh*t. I've not seen complaints about BGM arriving late until now, give them a chance eh?[/quote]

Understand the semtiment but ...... if something you've paid for doesn't arrive, you phone them. They can't tell you why; the person who deals with subs is always out; they don't call you back.

I'm happy to accept that this is a one-off.

[quote name='silddx' post='673795' date='Dec 4 2009, 12:08 AM']Come on, cut them a bit of slack, will you guys? I had a subscription to the Angling Times (a weekly) until recently, it would almost always arrive days, even a week late, sometimes not at all. I cancelled it. It was sh*t. I've not seen complaints about BGM arriving late until now, give them a chance eh?[/quote]

Yes, but Anglers have lots of time on their hands, it sort of goes with the territory...........................?

Hey guys - I've got the tracks up on my site for the latest style file column.

[url="http://davemarks.com/?page_id=1012"]http://davemarks.com/?page_id=1012[/url]

It's a wicked sounding funk track - I'm really pleased with how it turned out :-)

I'd love to hear back from any of you who download it to see what you think....

d

[quote name='62P-Bass' post='673289' date='Dec 3 2009, 03:38 PM']It's not natural finish though if that's what you mean. I think they call it Fiesta Red, but it looks more like pink or orange really. I just got that colour cos it looks like Pino's!
[attachment=37610:IMG_0367.jpg][/quote]

That looks to be in lovely condition for a 'gigging' Squier JV bass from 83. :rolleyes:

I have to confess it's not a colour bass I've ever owned but they always look tasty when owned by other people. :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='674434' date='Dec 4 2009, 06:57 PM']Haven't rated Angling Times for a while now. Much prefer Improve your Coarse Fishing and similar titles. Lots more to read whilst idling time away waiting for the next big bite.[/quote]
It's essentially the Daily Mail for anglers. I cancelled my subs after a while. A lot of the readership are pretty Daily Mail too, lots of anti-Eastern European crap going on. I've given up on the periodical stuff. I only read Chris Yates and Richard Walker these days.

[quote name='silddx' post='675904' date='Dec 6 2009, 05:24 PM']It's essentially the Daily Mail for anglers. I cancelled my subs after a while. A lot of the readership are pretty Daily Mail too, lots of anti-Eastern European crap going on. I've given up on the periodical stuff. I only read Chris Yates and Richard Walker these days.[/quote]

Surely that should read anti- Eastern European carping

Its Ok I know where my coat is :)

[quote name='silddx' post='669287' date='Nov 29 2009, 05:53 PM']Got mine from WH Smith today, there's a small feature by ped on the BC SE Bass Bash, with photo.[/quote]
YAY! I'm in BGM - well lurking in the background of the photo, and that's about as close as I'll ever get I suspect not counting the letter I got published years back

[quote name='Davemarks' post='643771' date='Nov 2 2009, 07:48 PM']Hey guys -

Sod's law. I worked really hard over the last few weeks to get the backing track for Skattershot ready and wouldn't you know, after getting them up on deadline last monday.. my site gets a massive bug and crashes.

For those of you who'd like to get hold of the audio files, just click on this link and you can download the full track and a backing track for only £1!

[url="http://store.payloadz.com/detail_html.asp?Id=760719"]http://store.payloadz.com/detail_html.asp?Id=760719[/url]

I'm working hard to get the site back up and when it does, I'll have the transcription of the bass solo, along with a video lesson to teach you the parts to the song.

Let me know what you think of this new format for style files and also, if you like the tune...

d[/quote]

Good stuff, Dave. It kept me amused whilst staying in a hotel somewhere in Suffolk the other week. It's a good primer for a genre of music that many of us overlook.

I used to subscribe to Amnesia Monthly. They were always forgetting to send it out in time, & often it never turned up. But I didn't mind, as I'd forgotten I was expecting it.
:)

[size=1]Look, it's first thing on a Monday morning and that's the best I could do, OK..?[/size]

[quote name='Davemarks' post='675856' date='Dec 6 2009, 04:52 PM']Hey guys - I've got the tracks up on my site for the latest style file column.

[url="http://davemarks.com/?page_id=1012"]http://davemarks.com/?page_id=1012[/url]

It's a wicked sounding funk track - I'm really pleased with how it turned out :-)

I'd love to hear back from any of you who download it to see what you think....

d[/quote]

Looking forward to hearing it. I used the article to practise my reading and recorded some of the parts against some funky drum loops so once I get home (from the IT Nazis at work) I'm going to compare the two.

Has anyone submitted a video of themselves playing it yet? I think I'd be far too self conscious :) :blush:

Funny that. I have got Angling Times and Anglers Mail weekly since the early 80's and about a month ago, I just decided they weren't worth it anymore.
Only really looked at the Tackle Tart, sorry, new gear pages.
Still get Advanced Pole Fishing and Match Fishing, but not really enthralled by them now.
Must be a know it all, "I didn't get where I am today without knowing my Scopex from my Scillit Bang" age knda thing.
Now, where's this BGM thing.

Best BGM for ages, if not ever. Great balance. I loved it when the Brit Funk pack went completely off topic and started taliking about Pino's playing on Voodoo (surely an R&B recording and nowt to do with funk). Still the odd printing error, but these happen and when the mag is properly entertaining these cease to be an annoyance. More like this please (and the often requested interviews with Pino and Bruce Thomas).

PS. Love the look of your red Squier P Andrew.

[quote name='silddx' post='675904' date='Dec 6 2009, 05:24 PM']It's essentially the Daily Mail for anglers. I cancelled my subs after a while. A lot of the readership are pretty Daily Mail too, lots of anti-Eastern European crap going on. I've given up on the periodical stuff. I only read Chris Yates and Richard Walker these days.[/quote]

I agree entirely. Always admired Chris Yates' approach to fishing.

I wasn't going to buy BGM this month but flicked through it in Smiths on saturday and well the inevitable. Specifically Andrew Levy.
Very good this month.

Edited by Marvin