Why become a member? ×

using that 5th string!! for real!

Shonks

you know what i mean.

When i got my 5 string (1 year ago, and I've been playing for more than 30), I realised I was just playing a 4 string with a few extra low notes.
After getting my head round the visual confusion, it all seemed quite easy.

I decided the other day, to really get into the 5th string.
particularly when reading. For example, if your playing in 'G'.
Instead of anchoring yourself to the 3rd fret as a starting position, I started on the 8th fret on the 'B' string.
Jeez- what a mind f'ck. but no problems going up two octaves, with a new sense of security about knowing where you are without even a glimpse.
Like to hear any suggestions for practicing exclusively for the five string.
Got any suggestions on good books for reading practice and playing tips?
Any thing else you got to offer, I'd like to hear.
NB. I'm mainly talking about having the lower 'B' on the 5 strings....cheers......Shonks!!

I started on a 5 string so I use it like you guys use the E just I start all my lines at the 5th lol

I couldnt imagine being limited to four and having to jump up octaves all the time when you run out of low notes.

The other advantage is it really screws with the guitards mind when he looks at you to see what root you are playing haha

Edited by Monz

Im still fairly new to 5 string so yes, i do play it more like a 4 string.
I think this is mostly due to me not learning many songs on it and so im already programmed to play then like a 4 string, no real advantage to changing right now.
Also i dont feel the mid to upper notes on the low B have as much punch and clarity as playing them on the E string.

Saying that i will use the B string more as i progress.

I think that I do but often when playing songs originally recorded on a 4 string around F G or C it kind of sounds right to me played up near the nut as we do quite a few soul and Motown covers.
I like the choice though of starting from the middle of the neck and it certainly works well on newer material . We play killer by seal in Eb; couldn't get away with that on my 4 string.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='449060' date='Mar 29 2009, 10:43 PM']Im still fairly new to 5 string so yes, i do play it more like a 4 string.
I think this is mostly due to me not learning many songs on it and so im already programmed to play then like a 4 string, no real advantage to changing right now.
Also i dont feel the mid to upper notes on the low B have as much punch and clarity as playing them on the E string.

Saying that i will use the B string more as i progress.[/quote]

I use a Stingray5 - love the big full bottom end of the 'B' string all the way up the neck (to the octave anyway) - it reminds me of the wife! :)

I think its down to me using flats as well.
I know a lot of people wont have a problem but for me it just sounds a bit, well, too round i guess. Certainly not un usable and i do use it for runs but i think when i switch back to rounds ill find the notes around the 5th-9th fret a bit clearer.

I don't have a 5 (yet), but if I was to play something in G (which quite a few of our songs are) I'd most likely be using the low B, C & D within what I'm playing (one of the reasons I want one).

& Monz' reason for having one is pure class. I think the drummer would be the only person who likes it.

Edited by xgsjx

I use the big mooring cable all the time now, I'd be lost without it. When I first started playing fives, I had to change my playing style to suit and it took a bit of work. Now I find that when I pick up a four, I have to change my playing style to suit :)

[quote name='Rich' post='449204' date='Mar 30 2009, 08:36 AM']I use the big mooring cable all the time now, I'd be lost without it. When I first started playing fives, I had to change my playing style to suit and it took a bit of work. Now I find that when I pick up a four, I have to change my playing style to suit :)[/quote]

Me too.
It may be the nature of my 5string, a Peavey TL5, but I find that it doesn't respond as well to "digging in" as my Jazz 4 string. It sounds great with a lighter touch though.

Edited by lonestar

i've played 5 strings for around seven years now. when i go to a 4 i've got to admit i find myself quite lost when playing songs (improv is fine). but not because it's missing those extra 5 notes, because i very rarely use them (things have more impact when used sparingly). it's because i use the 5th string to play in different positions. and for this, i find it invaluble!

i'd be inclined to agree with Dave Bass about the remark regarding playing 8th fret B instead of 3rd fret E. but i prefer to look at it as 'more phat' as opposed to 'less punch' :)

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='449228' date='Mar 30 2009, 09:27 AM']i prefer to look at it as 'more phat' as opposed to 'less punch' :)[/quote]

I agree with that. I find my P5 has plenty of volume and roundness up the neck on the B string, just not quite the clarity of the other strings.
Still usable though and when it does come to learning new songs ill make more of an effort to play above the 5th fret.

[quote name='Monz' post='449003' date='Mar 29 2009, 09:51 PM']I started on a 5 string so I use it like you guys use the E just I start all my lines at the 5th lol

I couldnt imagine being limited to four and having to jump up octaves all the time when you run out of low notes.

The other advantage is it really screws with the guitards mind when he looks at you to see what root you are playing haha[/quote]

This for me is reason enough to own a 5 string !!!!

.... maybe even the reason i've been looking for !!!

mmm.....interesting...

I think the fact is: basses with different amounts of strings require a a different 'mind set'.
They're different instruments, and that's that. You gotta learn to play each of them according to their attributes.
The one thing I'll never give up is playing my 4 string, its the the width between the strings. It feels wide, it feels big, and it feels like a bass.
The restrictions in the overall scope is what makes it sound like a bass. Beyond five strings, i recon your getting into the realms of an obese guitar.
Don't forget we're playing bass here. Generally the bass provides the bottom end groove, and so too much crap above a certain point calls for extreme virtuosity, and even then, it can all get a bit tiresome.......blah blah blah.......blah..

[quote name='Shonks' post='449251' date='Mar 30 2009, 10:07 AM']mmm.....interesting...

Don't forget we're playing bass here. Generally the bass provides the bottom end groove, and so too much crap above a certain point calls for extreme virtuosity, and even then, it can all get a bit tiresome.......blah blah blah.......blah..[/quote]

OMG :) , you cant say that here. you'll be sent to hell now, or even worse, banned for life LOL.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Shonks' post='449251' date='Mar 30 2009, 10:07 AM']The restrictions in the overall scope is what makes it sound like a bass. Beyond five strings, i recon your getting into the realms of an obese guitar.
Don't forget we're playing bass here. Generally the bass provides the bottom end groove, and so too much crap above a certain point calls for extreme virtuosity, and even then, it can all get a bit tiresome.......blah blah blah.......blah..[/quote]

you know in most cases, the 5th string is a lower one yes?

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='449262' date='Mar 30 2009, 10:18 AM']you know in most cases, the 5th string is a lower one yes?[/quote]

doh...really..??

Most tune their 5 bass with a lower B, but it is also quite common to go soprano with the hi C, although we weren't discussing that aspect of the 5 string.........pay attention!

I was, at the beginning of this item, really thinking about reading techniques. When the notes shoot up the stave, its less of a task on a five sting if you position yourself appropriately on the B string, however, I was really just pointing out, that if you're on the 8th fret in the key of G, that, that wasn't actually a visa for over playing, just cause you're half way up the neck.

You get it now?? any more queries as to my train of thought, feel free to try and insult me, no problem!

[quote name='Shonks' post='449347' date='Mar 30 2009, 11:56 AM']doh...really..??

Most tune their 5 bass with a lower B, but it is also quite common to go soprano with the hi C, although we weren't discussing that aspect of the 5 string.........pay attention!

I was, at the beginning of this item, really thinking about reading techniques. When the notes shoot up the stave, its less of a task on a five sting if you position yourself appropriately on the B string, however, I was really just pointing out, that if you're on the 8th fret in the key of G, that, that wasn't actually a visa for over playing, just cause you're half way up the neck.

You get it now?? any more queries as to my train of thought, feel free to try and insult me, no problem![/quote]

i got it from the beginning thankyou. it was a simple question to avoid crossed wires.

i have a lot more than that to say, but will do so through PM.

I think playing tunes in a different position on a five string just for the sake of it is kind of missing the point! Yes it does allow you to open up the fretboard somewhat, but a low G on the B string will sound a lot different to a G on the E string. Much the same as on a 4 string, if I want a 'dubbier' sounding 'D' for example as opposed to a D with more clarity, I'll play it on the E string rather than the A, depends what the song needs!

A 5 string (and any ERB) allows you more sonic options with regards to timbre of notes, not just positions and number of notes.

Si