Why become a member? ×

using that 5th string!! for real!

Shonks

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='461336' date='Apr 13 2009, 05:15 PM']Not my band but good luck.
I find it quite easy now to play it in A with the 5 string. Before i had to play it differently to how it should go but now i can just transpose it down from C.

This thread has opened my eyes a bit and made me realise i was missing out on something. Ive now been making more of an effort to use the 5th string more and so far i like it.
Its been dependent on the gig though. some of them have been a bit boomy and i find playing E-A on the B string can sound a bit muffled but at some of the gigs ive had such a nice, clear and punchy sound using the higher notes has been a pleasure.[/quote]

It's been a useful discussion hasn't it?
I think that on reflection tend to use the 5th string around the bottom end fairly sparingly to to punctuate lines with 4ths or 5ths, sometimes as almost passing notes, and play root notes and bass lines from up past the 5th fret onwards if that makes any kind of sense.

[quote name='lonestar' post='461441' date='Apr 13 2009, 07:30 PM']It's been a useful discussion hasn't it?
I think that on reflection tend to use the 5th string around the bottom end fairly sparingly to to punctuate lines with 4ths or 5ths, sometimes as almost passing notes, and play root notes and bass lines from up past the 5th fret onwards if that makes any kind of sense.[/quote]Makes sense to me but there are so many different intervals to use on passing notes. 6ths, minor 7ths, oh no, Jazz has just started to secreet from my pores...NURSE!!! :)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='461476' date='Apr 13 2009, 07:56 PM']Makes sense to me but there are so many different intervals to use on passing notes. 6ths, minor 7ths, oh no, Jazz has just started to secreet from my pores...NURSE!!! :)[/quote]

Surely you mean Niiice!!!
Good point though

[quote name='lonestar' post='461441' date='Apr 13 2009, 07:30 PM']It's been a useful discussion hasn't it?
I think that on reflection tend to use the 5th string around the bottom end fairly sparingly to to punctuate lines with 4ths or 5ths, sometimes as almost passing notes, and play root notes and bass lines from up past the 5th fret onwards if that makes any kind of sense.[/quote]

Yeah it has.
I guess im still only using the B for passing notes at the moment. I still find i get more punch and bite with the E and A string but its coming along.
The thing i struggle most with at the moment is playing root/5th at the 5th/6th fret. It just seems very alien to me as its not something i could do on a 4 string at that position for a E or F and the gap feels odd.

Edited by dave_bass5