Why become a member? ×

using that 5th string!! for real!

Shonks

[quote name='Sibob' post='449423' date='Mar 30 2009, 01:08 PM']I think playing tunes in a different position on a five string just for the sake of it is kind of missing the point! Yes it does allow you to open up the fretboard somewhat, but a low G on the B string will sound a lot different to a G on the E string. Much the same as on a 4 string, if I want a 'dubbier' sounding 'D' for example as opposed to a D with more clarity, I'll play it on the E string rather than the A, depends what the song needs!

A 5 string (and any ERB) allows you more sonic options with regards to timbre of notes, not just positions and number of notes.

Si[/quote]

Yeah, thats how i see it.
No matter how you play a 5 string its the right way of playing it. As long as your comfortable and it sounds good to your ears.

I do feel im missing out on the ease of being able to stick to the middle of the neck most of the time but i don't feel im playing it wrong.

It's complicated....

I think for a lot of stuff the E string sounds better than the equivalent notes on the B string. The B string is ideal if you want a big rumble but often you don't. So in some songs I play from or onto the B in others I'm chasing up and down the E string (or whatever). Either way it sounds crap because I'm doing it :)

I think your all missing the point somewhat.....

I'm still talking about reading technique!!

If you're sight reading an up tempo piece, in G and you spot a high octave G (2 above the lowest), its a difficult jump to make without taking your eyes off the page, but starting G on the 8th makes it considerably easier. However, when you've been doing it for almost half a century on a 4 string its weird to use the 8th fret position. That's all.

So I was looking for some reading material specifically to practice the five string. So far I'm just using the same old stuff but using new fingerings.................thats it folks!

Edited by Shonks

[quote name='Shonks' post='449452' date='Mar 30 2009, 01:36 PM']I think your all missing the point somewhat.....

I'm still talking about reading technique!![/quote]

That may be true, but your original post title was extremely misleading! your actual question was "who plays a 5 string like a five string?"

[quote name='Golchen' post='449464' date='Mar 30 2009, 01:54 PM']That may be true, but your original post title was extremely misleading! your actual question was "who plays a 5 string like a five string?"[/quote]
oops......forgive me......!!

[quote name='Shonks' post='448966' date='Mar 29 2009, 09:08 PM']you know what i mean.

When i got my 5 string (1 year ago, and I've been playing for more than 30), I realised I was just playing a 4 string with a few extra low notes.
After getting my head round the visual confusion, it all seemed quite easy.

I decided the other day, to really get into the 5th string.
particularly when reading. For example, if your playing in 'G'.
Instead of anchoring yourself to the 3rd fret as a starting position, I started on the 8th fret on the 'B' string.
Jeez- what a mind f'ck. but no problems going up two octaves, with a new sense of security about knowing where you are without even a glimpse.
Like to hear any suggestions for practicing exclusively for the five string.
Got any suggestions on good books for reading practice and playing tips?
Any thing else you got to offer, I'd like to hear.
NB. I'm mainly talking about having the lower 'B' on the 5 strings....cheers......Shonks!![/quote]

from my experience with a 5 the B string isnt all that good for the upper frets...to tubby for me
i got as far as F# and went back to the E string fingerings...i like the growl on the third fret G and only got the 5 string for fretted E and D

I found that when I started on 5 string -low b - it felt like I was transposing everything down a fourth, ie playing in D major "feels" like playing in G major - and since I also play 4 string and upright I still tend to adopt that transposing mindset. I do occasionally ask the guitarist what key we're in before a tune kicks off!

I've tried to get that '5-string'thing- through Steve Bailey's school, but, in long time I realised that his school is good only for technique (first few chapters, to familiarise with B string, first section, large intervals and such..), there are good exercises about coping with jumping a lotta strings, playing clarity and such, but, in a band context it won't give you much benefit..

It feels, like it's kinda more related to solo-bassy-stuff - solo related chords and so on..

As mentioned here before, I've bought 'Berklee Practice Method" bass book, as it's more about the music, but it doesn't actually concentrates on 5 string bass..

So, the biggest problem for me (and it lasts for looong time) is to find a versalite 5-string player, whereof I could [i]learn[/i] about accompanying in pop-band context, 5-string using, and such... Just dunno where to look at :)

Edited by Faithless

When I bought my first 5, I tended to just use the low B as a thumb anchor but then really got into it. There's something about that low D when no-one's expecting it. Now, I do tend to play my E's on the fifth fret. It certainly opens up more opportunities. Biggest killer for 4 string players is vocalists deciding they want to do stuff in Eb

[quote name='leschirons' post='451167' date='Apr 1 2009, 08:36 AM']It certainly opens up more opportunities. Biggest killer for 4 string players is vocalists deciding they want to do stuff in Eb[/quote]

Exactly why i got mine. Two bands doing similar songs but in different keys.
Trying to play a lot of the Motown stuff in D on a 4 string just didn't sound right. too high up

[quote name='leschirons' post='451167' date='Apr 1 2009, 08:36 AM']When I bought my first 5, I tended to just use the low B as a thumb anchor but then really got into it. There's something about that low D when no-one's expecting it. Now, I do tend to play my E's on the fifth fret. It certainly opens up more opportunities. Biggest killer for 4 string players is vocalists deciding they want to do stuff in Eb[/quote]

Valerie (Zutons), Black Velvet (Alannah Miles), Distant Sun (Crowded House) are three that spring to mind straight away for the Eb. I would imagine it is a right royal pain the butt on a 4 string

[quote name='Monz' post='451208' date='Apr 1 2009, 09:31 AM']Valerie (Zutons), Black Velvet (Alannah Miles), Distant Sun (Crowded House) are three that spring to mind straight away for the Eb. I would imagine it is a right royal pain the butt on a 4 string[/quote]

Build me up buttercup in A is the killer for me on 4 string.

See I kinda like the challenge of playing things on a 4, I think i'm part of the Jeff Berlin school when it comes to that! Plus I feel that I can lay into them a bit more, easier to throw about to my mind.

Having said that, I definitly see the application of 5 strings, I've used them (and am probably going to buy one) just for dep gigs whereby the singer turns up 10mins before a gig and changes all the keys, i'm an alright player but transposing on the fly stresses me out lol.

So I think my conclusion is, 4 strings are where I'm at, they're on the same wave-length as me, I love playing 4's and I have more fun doing so. 5's are a tool to me, they are there to do a job.
I know that seems like an odd conclusion, and I can't really explain it, but hey, that's the human brain huh! :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='451221' date='Apr 1 2009, 09:49 AM']So I think my conclusion is, 4 strings are where I'm at, they're on the same wave-length as me, I love playing 4's and I have more fun doing so. 5's are a tool to me, they are there to do a job.
I know that seems like an odd conclusion, and I can't really explain it, but hey, that's the human brain huh! :)

Si[/quote]

I can relate to that.
I find i have to think harder when using 5 string, playing 4 i just forget about it and enjoy it. plus im a lot faster.
While im happy to play a song a different way to suit the singer i find some things need to played in the correct register. Play that funky music sounds great in E but in D or Eb, whilst still being easy to play on a 4 string, means its too high or i need to detune.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='451235' date='Apr 1 2009, 10:09 AM']Play that funky music sounds great in E but in D or Eb, whilst still being easy to play on a 4 string, means its too high or i need to detune.[/quote]

You've mentioned quite a few songs that I think work great on a 4-string in that key - there's a lot of funk in the middle register that you're missing out on by thinking you need to be an octave lower. All in the tone and feel. If you get that right you can even lay down the bottom whilst being up around and beyond the 12th fret!

I think I found this when coming up with basslines for new songs and realising that I was always starting on the lowest octave of each note - thereafter I started trying to work that region up around and beyond the 7th fret and learnt how fat you can sound up there and how nice it is to be able to go down as well as up!

I guess I wouldn't have been forced to learn about the power of the middle and higher registers if I'd had a five sooner, though since getting one a year ago I've taken to it like a duck to water.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='451423' date='Apr 1 2009, 12:59 PM']You've mentioned quite a few songs that I think work great on a 4-string in that key - there's a lot of funk in the middle register that you're missing out on by thinking you need to be an octave lower. All in the tone and feel. If you get that right you can even lay down the bottom whilst being up around and beyond the 12th fret!

I think I found this when coming up with basslines for new songs and realising that I was always starting on the lowest octave of each note - thereafter I started trying to work that region up around and beyond the 7th fret and learnt how fat you can sound up there and how nice it is to be able to go down as well as up!

I guess I wouldn't have been forced to learn about the power of the middle and higher registers if I'd had a five sooner, though since getting one a year ago I've taken to it like a duck to water.

Alex[/quote]

Thanks Alex, i understand what you are saying but i want and need to play in the lower register. I feel comfortable and it fits.
My band isnt what you would call...er...good :-( so we need a solid bass end. playing in the higher register leaves a gap and there isnt anyone to fill it.

Guess im more a traditional bass player.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='451443' date='Apr 1 2009, 01:15 PM']Thanks Alex, i understand what you are saying but i want and need to play in the lower register. I feel comfortable and it fits.
My band isnt what you would call...er...good :-( so we need a solid bass end. playing in the higher register leaves a gap and there isnt anyone to fill it.

Guess im more a traditional bass player.[/quote]

That's exactly my point! There is a misconception that traditional and solid bass playing involves always staying down low. However if you look at a lot of old rock and soul the bass player often spends most of their time in the middle register but it still sounds fat, solid and traditional. If your tone is right you will not leave a gap, in fact you will fill the space between the bottom and the keys/guitar/vocals that much better.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='451462' date='Apr 1 2009, 01:31 PM']That's exactly my point! There is a misconception that traditional and solid bass playing involves always staying down low. However if you look at a lot of old rock and soul the bass player often spends most of their time in the middle register but it still sounds fat, solid and traditional. If your tone is right you will not leave a gap, in fact you will fill the space between the bottom and the keys/guitar/vocals that much better.

Alex[/quote]

True but we dont have keys. just a lead guitarist who tries to do rhythm (but not the one we are playing at the time), a singer whow sometimes hits the right chords without looking and a drummer who....well, you get the point.

I just like hearing those low, thumpy notes. I tried to play Living on a Prayer once in D on a 4 string and i was al lover the place.

As i said, i know there is life beyond those low notes but having a full time job, two kids at home and playing covers every weekend i dont have the time or inclination to learn to play something that already works on a 5 string.
No offence, just putting my reasons forward.

• 2 weeks later...

OK OK OK!!!!
I got it sussed!!!
This is a really excellent way to get used to your 5 string in a new way!!

When you practice:

read the stuff you have used in the past for practicing, and are semi familiar with. This means you're only half sight reading, as you've played it before.
Do this in alternative positions using the 5th string as much as possible (be prepared to go back a few paces, cos this can do your head in a bit)
:eg. If your in the key of 'G' 1 #, then anchor yourself on the 8th fret. Don't use open E if it comes up, but play it on the 5th fret 5th string.
This is not about getting he best sound, it about familiarising yourself with the new possibilities of your 5 string bass.

Try this idea, too, on tunes you already know.
This is for practice only, so again, its nothing to do with good sounds, or convenient methods of playing the tunes.

Looking constantly for alternative fingerings, other than the one's your used to is a great way of getting familiar we the 5 string, and a great way of improving your playing generally.

That's it, try it, it works!!!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='451218' date='Apr 1 2009, 09:42 AM']Build me up buttercup in A is the killer for me on 4 string.[/quote]

Small world! just learning that last night for a dep gig for a band called 208. Not your band is it Dave?

Edited by lonestar

If you want a few low tuned tracks / bands try

Slipknot tune to A / A# recommended tracks Duality /Psychosoical

Stone sour to B recommended tracks 30 30 150 / Scars

Korn B recommended tracks Freak on a leash / ADIDAS

Drowning pool to B recommended track Bodies

My band plays all of these and I tend just to retune the B string. It does mess with the mind when the strings aren't in the normal set up because of this, but we get through ;-)

Ta

Mike

I'm pretty new to bass playing, but usually play a 5er. I sometimes play with a dance band (glenn millar style etc) and find the key to be gflat, dflat or aflat. Trying to play these on a 4 string would be too much for my limited ability. At least on the 5 I can anchor myself somewhere and have the guts of two octaves to work with.

Sometimes the music throws up high f,g etc. and this is where I would actually like a 6 string (currently I just panic and leave it out) or maybe I'm lazy

[quote name='lonestar' post='459665' date='Apr 10 2009, 10:34 PM']Small world! just learning that last night for a dep gig for a band called 208. Not your band is it Dave?[/quote]

Not my band but good luck.
I find it quite easy now to play it in A with the 5 string. Before i had to play it differently to how it should go but now i can just transpose it down from C.

This thread has opened my eyes a bit and made me realise i was missing out on something. Ive now been making more of an effort to use the 5th string more and so far i like it.
Its been dependent on the gig though. some of them have been a bit boomy and i find playing E-A on the B string can sound a bit muffled but at some of the gigs ive had such a nice, clear and punchy sound using the higher notes has been a pleasure.