Why become a member? ×

New Flea bass now available for preorder

Delberthot

I was going to add this to the original thread but I can't find it so here it is:

[url="http://www.basscentre.com/4-string-bass-guitars/fleabass-bass-guitar.html"]http://www.basscentre.com/4-string-bass-gu...ass-guitar.html[/url]

It'll be interesting to read some of the first reviews to see what people are making of this. May go over to Talkbs and see if anyone there has one yet.

Edited by Delberthot

I think it looks like a toy, and that’s a bit of a joke @ £500. I thought the ethos behind this was that kids of all backgrounds should be able to learn a musical instrument so he was going to introduce an affordable instrument that kids would love and play and be proud of and blah blah blah…

I quote – “I WANTED STUDENTS TO HAVE AN INSTRUMENT THEY COULD FALL IN LOVE WITH, AND I WANTED THEM TO BE ABLE TO DO IT WITH THE LIMITED MEANS THAT MOST OF THEM HAVE FOR ACQUIRING ONE”.

£500 seems like a lot to me for an “affordable” instrument for people of "limited means"…

I don’t know if it’s because I’m feeling a bit pessimistic today, but this seems like bullshit to me.

£500! :) I thought it was supposed to be a budget instrument!

Any £500 bass will blow a johnson or axl out of the water easily, but would a beginner be able to or want to spend twice as much as a Squier VM-series for an ugly-shaped pukey-coloured bass just because its has Flea's name on it?

I think something went badly wrong between concept and execution. It is simply priced out of the reach of its target market. I wouldn't be surprised if a few will be sold to hardcore flea/RHCP fans then the rest of the first batch will hang around until they're sold off at clearance prices then there won't be second batch.

I wonder if the free DVD that comes with it is as good as his 'adventures in spontaneous jamming and techniques' one? What a totally pointless waste of £15 that was.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='448809' date='Mar 29 2009, 05:57 PM']I wonder if the free DVD that comes with it is as good as his 'adventures in spontaneous jamming and techniques' one? What a totally pointless waste of £15 that was.[/quote]

Was that the “how to spontaneously blow smoke up your own arse whilst high” DVD? As an educational tool it’s about as much use as a banker with a fast-track teaching qualification, but for a laugh it’s alright :)

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='448814' date='Mar 29 2009, 06:07 PM']Was that the “how to spontaneously blow smoke up your own arse whilst high” DVD? As an educational tool it’s about as much use as a banker with a fast-track teaching qualification, but for a laugh it’s alright :)[/quote]

LMAO!!

I'm disappointed in the price, but the weak pound certainly might be the reason. If it's aimed at younger players, it's missed the boat at that price. I can't afford to buy my 7 year old daughter a 450 quid bass to start her off, much as she'd love one.

Does anyone know where they are made?
I seem to remember China, then shipped back to the states for inspection and set up.
So that's one hell of a round trip, with a huge carbon footprint.
The whole idea of an affordable bass for £500, or dollars is disgusting, Flea should stay out of business and stick to what he knows best, making albums that are becoming progressively duller.

The price isnt exactly 'intro' but I would like to try one or hear the views of someone who has before I condemn it. The blurb claims that each one is checked and set up before they are shipped out, maybe the quality control accounts for a big chunk of the price. As to the appearance, well the pink/green one is calling to me in a kind of 'in yer face' way :)

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='449334' date='Mar 30 2009, 11:47 AM']At £500 doesn't that compete with a second hand US fender off of ebay?[/quote]

I would say at £500 it outperforms a second hand US Fender off ebay...

*ducks*

BGM shootout of obscene coloured basses?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='449238' date='Mar 30 2009, 09:54 AM']Actually, thinking about it, this is priced to compete with not only your Fender Mex Standards, but also the Yamaha BB714BS Billy Sheehan signature. That would be an interesting comparison. I've just agreed to buy a 714, so we'll see which fairs best![/quote]

Go for the Yamaha.. It's already an established model, and the Yamaha quality control is great.