Why become a member? ×

New Trace Elliot amp

Merton

£5 says it's a 500W or 800W version of the Elf.  the only question is why it took them so long to do that.

but i wish they'd ditch the TE branding and just sell them as Peavey gear.  buying the name of a dead company to market your products under just feels tacky.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Witch Hazel said:

£5 says it's a 500W or 800W version of the Elf.  the only question is why it took them so long to do that.

but i wish they'd ditch the TE branding and just sell them as Peavey gear.  buying the name of a dead company to market your products under just feels tacky.

It took them so long because it really is a very small Trace Elliot team within Peavey. They did a good job putting the SMX into the Transit pedal and adding a overdrive. It may be a combination of parts of that with power.

One guesses they have made another breakthrough and 500w 'Donk' with fuller featured preamp is GK MB200 size. I was hoping for 'Gnome' but Warwick stole that.

3 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

It took them so long because it really is a very small Trace Elliot team within Peavey.

that might have come off harsher than i intended - i just meant that with the huge popularity of small class D heads around that size, mating the Elf preamp with a larger power section seemed like an obvious thing to do sooner rather than later.  but apparently (or so i read just now) they're designing their own power sections rather than using off the shelf ones, which would explain why it took a bit longer.

squinting a bit closer at the pic, the smaller one seems to say "TE-1200" on it. 

I am intrigued. 

I have a bit of a 'no graphic preamp = no Trace Elliot' mindset, which makes no sense whatsoever given that I have a Trace V6 which also has no graphic preamp. It isn't a 'British' company any more, or even a company given it is now a Peavey sub-brand. However, I do get the feeling that the team within Peavey are really committed to re-establishing the brand so I will credit them for that. 

If the product is good then it will sell. Truth be told I am more interested in the prospective line of cabs. If there is a lightweight 4ohm 4x10 then I am frankly just going to buy one to pair with the said V6!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Merton said:

For me, it's the same argument as is Seat really Seat, or is it just VW... Sure, it's not the same company it was but the brand exists still and that is OK by me :)

Hang on there... A Seat is a VW chassis and engine assembled in a lower cost country and sold for a lower price under a different brand which is targeted at a different group of people. I could understand where bass amp companies are bought if they did a "premium" brand and a budget or lower cost brand... Say Trace Elliot is Peavey's top range amp and their own brand stuff was "pile high sell cheap" effective for beginners and weekend warriors like myself... But I'm just confused by the whole arrangement. Peavey made fantastic bass amps for a long while, why did they need Trace if they're not going to make it sound like a Trace any more, and Peavey are still making their own bass amps.... Makes no sense to me. 

• Like 1

Good question about whether TE has really disappeared without a trace? Some owners are better at letting their acquisitions thrive whilst others simply gut them private-equity style.

From what I've observed, Japanese new owners are some of the best at getting this right e.g. Yamaha --> Line 6. The latter are doing superbly well with their Helix range of pedals.

Intrigued by the new offering, though. Besides, I wouldn't be ashamed at owning a Peavey one bit - my Peavey Tour 450 was a great bit of kit!

19 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Intrigued by the new offering, though. Besides, I wouldn't be ashamed at owning a Peavey one bit - my Peavey Tour 450 was a great bit of kit!

Exactly! Proper amps!! When I started out seeing Peavey across a speaker, whether bass amp or PA, meant sturdy, quality, and loud as f@%*!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Hang on there... A Seat is a VW chassis and engine assembled in a lower cost country and sold for a lower price under a different brand which is targeted at a different group of people. I could understand where bass amp companies are bought if they did a "premium" brand and a budget or lower cost brand... Say Trace Elliot is Peavey's top range amp and their own brand stuff was "pile high sell cheap" effective for beginners and weekend warriors like myself... But I'm just confused by the whole arrangement. Peavey made fantastic bass amps for a long while, why did they need Trace if they're not going to make it sound like a Trace any more, and Peavey are still making their own bass amps.... Makes no sense to me. 

Fair enough, understand that viewpoint too but I just see it as a way for Peavy to get a bigger slice of the bass amp market with a renowned brand. They make a big deal about it sounding like Trace of old, but people seem to hear with their eyes and the lack of graphic EQ means it can’t possibly do so… ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Merton said:

Fair enough, understand that viewpoint too but I just see it as a way for Peavy to get a bigger slice of the bass amp market with a renowned brand. They make a big deal about it sounding like Trace of old, but people seem to hear with their eyes and the lack of graphic EQ means it can’t possibly do so… ;)

If Peavey released a premium Trace rig that really sounded like a Trace but had modern features such as lightweight, a 2x12 cab because nobody wants 1x15s anymore (wtf is all that about?!) they'd be up there competing with the best. 

Maybe it's our little BC echo chamber though... Maybe no other bassists actually care about TE like we do? Or they see it as something that's been and gone? 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Exactly! Proper amps!! When I started out seeing Peavey across a speaker, whether bass amp or PA, meant sturdy, quality, and loud as f@%*!

Yup and they made some very attractive neck through basses, too, that I was too late to the party to enjoy! 

• Like 1

I ordered my Elf at the LBGS when they first came out and waited 6 months before it arrived. When it finally arrived I was so disappointed. NOT a Trace Elliot!!!

I, for one, won't even be thinking about the new amp. If I want a well built British amp I'll buy an Ashdown.

To quote The Who, "I won't get fooled again".

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 2elliot said:

Looks like 1200w. I need try one...

20210708_121659.jpg

Agreed :)

8 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Can't we just be excited at a new Trace Elliot amp without having to dissect the history of the company's ownership?

I am very excited to know more about it.

Agreed :)

• Like 2

I don't want to wee on anyone's parade, but we do have a tendency to go straight onto the attack when we hear about a new product.

Remember the appalling reaction to Barefaced and their pedal?

Simple fact is we're consumers of products, we don't make them nor do we have any input to the R&D. 

If the product is badly thought out, designed or overpriced, we won't buy it.

Having said all that, it's only my opinion. I just prefer us to be happy and excited not carping and miserable. Everyone else is of course free to explore their own response to the news.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Having said all that, it's only my opinion. I just prefer us to be happy and excited not carping and miserable. Everyone else is of course free to explore their own response to the news.

Good point. I'll change my way of thinking on this to I *hope* it's a great amp that sounds like a good old fashioned TE. 

And I really do. 

• Like 2