Why become a member? ×

Post punk, alt-rock corner

21 hours ago, ProfJames said:

Just before he died, guitarist Paul Fox used to play drums with my old band. Just get up and guest but he was a cool character. One night him and a few mates got up, turned the amps up full and blasted out Babylon's Burning. It was an amazing experience. His settings were basically on full for everything!

• Like 8

19 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

While I'm a big fan of Joy Division I never really got into New Order, their output deteriorating with each album having started on a high with the 1981-82 EP , which contains

and

Loved the early New Order stuff.

On 18/07/2021 at 13:36, Frank Blank said:

Blimey I forgot all about them. Used to have the attractively packaged Earth Song EP. I bought it on the strength of the reviews comparing them to Joy Division, or was it Killing Joke. For some reason I didn't check em out further

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Blimey I forgot all about them. Used to have the attractively packaged Earth Song EP. I bought it on the strength of the reviews comparing them to Joy Division, or was it Killing Joke. For some reason I didn't check em out further

They broke up after a few years, I think they must have got fed up with audiences constantly shouting out for Killing Joke songs when they played. I saw them three times in the 80s and that was the case at each gig, when I saw them at the Ace in Brixton the singer was so fed up with it he walked off after three songs. They started up again in 2014 and are still going, I haven't heard any of the new stuff though.

• Like 3

I guess REM were pretty much at the forefront of US based alt-rock, the antidote to the ghastliness of Journey, Boston, Styx, Kansas, Heart etc. Mind you IMO they started on a great high with Murmur, which they never matched. For me this is the best song they ever made

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

They broke up after a few years, I think they must have got fed up with audiences constantly shouting out for Killing Joke songs when they played. I saw them three times in the 80s and that was the case at each gig, when I saw them at the Ace in Brixton the singer was so fed up with it he walked off after three songs. They started up again in 2014 and are still going, I haven't heard any of the new stuff though.

I had and loved the "For My Country" single back in the day. Saw the reformed version at WGW a few years ago and it most mostly back catalogue but not as good as the original recorded versions. Also one of their recent spin-off bands were on the same bill as one of my bands back in 2019. Can't remember anything about their set so it can't have been my kind of thing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Still love me a bit of Specimen

Which links me to...Flesh For Lulu. Was particularly partial to this single. Thing is like about this thread is folk are digging up long forgotten names which don't get namechecked anywhere else on BC 

Edited by Barking Spiders
URL not loading

I can't believe that this wasn't a massive (indie) hit.

Catchy tune with clever lyrics. John Peel played it constantly for several moths. It was Single Of The Week in NME, and Any Trouble even covered it on their debut album:

23 Jewels released 2 more singles to almost complete indifference. Singer, songwriter Nick Simpson is now a well respected classical composer...

• Like 1

On 12/07/2021 at 08:50, Leonard Smalls said:

Remember buying the single version of this in 1981, but can't find on youtube (seems it's worth £50+! I'm rich!). So here it is, in all its glory, from the album:

I enjoyed the creations of Mr Thirlwell

try this one for size:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Bloody well love that tune ever since it came out, especially the acoustic guitar tone and Barney's vocal

Could not agree more.  Was never over keen on New Order (love Joy Division) but Electronica....superb