Why become a member? ×

Post punk, alt-rock corner

On 04/08/2021 at 23:58, BillyBass said:

Adam &the Antz Peel session

Not strictly post punk but not mainstream punk either.

The 2nd song is about Westside Story, the first also has an anti racist element, unfortunately, Nick Kent and other NME journalists labelled them as Nazi, hence Dave Barbe, the drummer attacking a copy of the rag.  Adam and the Antz also wrote a song called 'Press Darlings' about music press journalists.

I saw them play over 20 times.

We've just bought tickets for his upcoming tour. We caught him at Kubix festival a couple of years ago, he was excellent. 

• Like 1

On 05/08/2021 at 07:30, tegs07 said:

And Fields of the Nephilim though:

We do a cover of For Her Light as a  warm up at rehearsal...  I can't take them seriously though.  Proper comedy goth voice, they make me laugh whenever I hear them.

• Like 1

At the moment I'm checking out Weezer stuff other than the blue album and Pinkerton. Still love the former while the latter grew on me over time but they fell off my radar after that. They subsequently received a loads of hate so I'm now going through the rest of their albums to see if any of it was deserved.

2 hours ago, 2elliot said:

We do a cover of For Her Light as a  warm up at rehearsal...  I can't take them seriously though.  Proper comedy goth voice, they make me laugh whenever I hear them.

That was what I liked about them. The whole nonsense with flour. Viz taking the p155 out of the drummer. I never took any of the Goth stuff seriously. It’s all pantomime to me. Others would really disagree!

Was fortunate to have seen this band many times, they whizzed all over the Jam at the Lyceum, destroyed Dingwalls and was here at the Reading Rock in 1978.......... Frank Farley on drums, Johnny Spence on a Stingray and the incredible Mick Green.......

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

Just for fun - cover of PIL's Death Disco by the Top Of The Pop album people

I guess this is the most post-punk song they ever did...... 

Well, that sits lovely in between Breakfast in America and Bad Girls.

'Final in a fade, Mr Grimsdale.....'

I think the Dog Faced Hermans qualify as post-punk, even though a bit later than the first wave, more like Sugarcubes time. Although much lesser know than the Sugarcubes.

Here is their best known song (although not representative IMO except the last minute or so) 'Beautiful', plus one of my personal (more representative IMO) faves 'Ballon Girl'

1 minute ago, Nail Soup said:

Andy should get the same acclaim as Johnny Marr IMO

Apparently he is as replaceable as the parts of a Lawnmower according to Morrisey. He doesn’t go on to explain why 90% of his own solo career sounds worse than a lawnmower with faulty parts though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 06/08/2021 at 11:00, 2elliot said:

They look like they need a bloody good wash too.

• 2 weeks later...