Why become a member? ×

Digital or Analogue?

stewblack

A good indicator is current consumption - the vast majority of analogue pedals will be happy with roughly a hundred mA, digital stuff will a usually in the region of 500mA.

Unless you’re running a valve pedal - they need lots of juice too.

the obvious exception is digital delays - they can quite happily run at 40 or 50mA, but they will have delay times going into a few hundred milliseconds - much longer than analogue delays.

Edited by paul_5

On 05/06/2021 at 17:32, paul_5 said:

A good indicator is current consumption - the vast majority of analogue pedals will be happy with roughly a hundred mA, digital stuff will a usually in the region of 500mA.

Unless you’re running a valve pedal - they need lots of juice too.

the obvious exception is digital delays - they can quite happily run at 40 or 50mA, but they will have delay times going into a few hundred milliseconds - much longer than analogue delays.

All the analog pedals in my current setup (that is 14 units) require less than 50mA pr unit to run properly, actually far less on an average, and of the digital pedals I have in my setup (that is 5 units) the one requiring most power to run properly consumes no more than 150mA and the one requiring least just about 100mA, which as far as I know, unless, as you correctly point out, utilizing tubes, is more in line with what you typically would expect.

Most digital pedals that require more than 250mA to run properly will be multi effects, stand alone digital effects will typically require a minimum of just around 100 to 150 mA or (though you are right about certain digital pedals requiring a bit less, more in the realms of around 60 or 70 mA or so), but rarely over 250mA (unless, as said, being multi effects), and I've yet to run into an analog pedal that doesn't utilize tubes that require more than 60mA to run, and by far most analog pedals even being happy with way less, typically something more like in the range of 5 to 30 mA.

Pedals that utilizes tubes will typically require something more like in the range of 500 mA to 2000mA (0,5 to 2 A) to run properly.

So if the power consumption of you pedal is 60mA or beyond it by far most likely is digital, if bellow it by far most likely is analog, 100mA or beyond and you can almost be certain it is in fact digital, and 30mA or bellow you can be absolutely certain that it is an analog pedal.

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of the power consumption (aka minimum power requirements to run without issues) of different effect pedals : https://stinkfoot.se/power-list 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

…. as there are so many effects out there anyhow I just set myself some parameters for my current builds of analogue. Been playing ages but not ever into effects, until the first lockdown, now I have a few boards and a fair bit lighter in the wallet 😳! I did have a Stomp but wasn’t the direction I wanted to go in at the time. However it was great and would have been very practical for gigs etc. I’ll probably get another similar type thing when the Medivac eventually finds the hill I’ve been left on he he 😁