Jump to content

Garden Studio Build Diary


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, WHUFC BASS said:

The foundations, brickwork and roof were all done by a local building company as will the electrics (I'm not going anywhere near them!). The door and window I'm in two minds whether to tackle it or get a proffessional in. I've never fitted double-glazing or hung a door and I don't want to radge that up. The internal insulation, stud work, plasterboarding, flooring etc. will be done by me. 

The last DG windows I had installed, I got them supplied and fitted by a local firm - was a no brainer, they fit windows all day long and didn't charge very much for the labour. Really interested to hear (as I'm sure others are) the final budget figures for the project. This build would make a cracking series of videos for youTube

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WHUFC BASS said:

The foundations, brickwork and roof were all done by a local building company as will the electrics (I'm not going anywhere near them!). The door and window I'm in two minds whether to tackle it or get a proffessional in. I've never fitted double-glazing or hung a door and I don't want to radge that up. The internal insulation, stud work, plasterboarding, flooring etc. will be done by me. 

I am in awe of folks who can diy.  DIY = Damage It Yourself when I'm involved! 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What are you going to do internally to further sound proof? I suspended double thickness plaster board off the wall to provide a further gap / sound proof. Triple glazed windows too would help. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dodge_bass said:

...Triple glazed windows too would help. 

But of a misnomer that one , mass helps, so 6mm or 8mm glass will cut down noise transmission , but triple 4mm is nothing special and not worth the added cost , argon gas in the units will help 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, WHUFC BASS said:

. The door and window I'm in two minds whether to tackle it or get a proffessional in. I've never fitted double-glazing or hung a door and I don't want to radge that up.

It’s not that difficult , but there are plenty of subtleties , one thing to consider is how to seal the door to the floor as the floor is a continuous slab from the path , it could be difficult keeping moisture from under there 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sammybee said:

 Really interested to hear (as I'm sure others are) the final budget figures for the project. This build would make a cracking series of videos for youTube

It's won't be cheap, I'll tell you that now. I reckon if someone can do all the work themselves, they'd save a lot, but unfortunately I put my back out years ago (bulging disc and sciatica) and it's been a constant niggle ever since. The most annoying thing was I was a bricklayer for years but have come to the conclusion that I can't do it any more unless I want to spend my time in a hell of a lot of pain.

4 hours ago, dodge_bass said:

What are you going to do internally to further sound proof? I suspended double thickness plaster board off the wall to provide a further gap / sound proof. Triple glazed windows too would help. 

Good question. Just for the sound proofing (not the acoustic treatment) I'm going to insulate with soundproof with 50mm Celotex between a wooden stud and then use 12.5mm soundproof plasterboard. On the ceiling I'll be going for 100mm Celotex along with 15mm soundproof board. For the window I'm just going for standard UPVC window and probably hang a heavy lined curtain in front. Same goes for the door too.

52 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

It’s not that difficult , but there are plenty of subtleties , one thing to consider is how to seal the door to the floor as the floor is a continuous slab from the path , it could be difficult keeping moisture from under there 

I've thought that about that and am thinking either coating the entire floor in blackjack before the flooring goes down or as well as that, building a single course of bricks under the door with another damproof membrane which goes behind the skirting and under the door. No doubt there'll be some expanding foam involved too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, WHUFC BASS said:

It's won't be cheap, I'll tell you that now. I reckon if someone can do all the work themselves, they'd save a lot, but unfortunately I put my back out years ago (bulging disc and sciatica) and it's been a constant niggle ever since. The most annoying thing was I was a bricklayer for years but have come to the conclusion that I can't do it any more unless I want to spend my time in a hell of a lot of pain.

Good question. Just for the sound proofing (not the acoustic treatment) I'm going to insulate with soundproof with 50mm Celotex between a wooden stud and then use 12.5mm soundproof plasterboard. On the ceiling I'll be going for 100mm Celotex along with 15mm soundproof board. For the window I'm just going for standard UPVC window and probably hang a heavy lined curtain in front. Same goes for the door too.

I've thought that about that and am thinking either coating the entire floor in blackjack before the flooring goes down or as well as that, building a single course of bricks under the door with another damproof membrane which goes behind the skirting and under the door. No doubt there'll be some expanding foam involved too.

I was advised by a number of folk that using double plaster board was a cheaper and better alternative to special acoustic plasterboard....might be worth looking into. Also I hung the plasterboard off the wooden stud with aluminium rails so that it was basically 'floating' so less vibrations could get though.  

https://www.noisestopsystems.co.uk/shop/wall-soundproofing/soundbreaker-bars/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lurksalot said:

But of a misnomer that one , mass helps, so 6mm or 8mm glass will cut down noise transmission , but triple 4mm is nothing special and not worth the added cost , argon gas in the units will help 

 

That's interesting to know, I think the side window (triple glazed) in my studio had argon but not sure about the thickness of the glass. Not sure about the two Velux loft windows though Having said that though they all do an excellent job of killing the sound which is the main thing.  But I'm gonna make a note of that in case I ever get the chance to build another home studio. Thanks! 

Edited by dodge_bass
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought I'd revisit my decibel readings as well cos, well why not, this is a cool thread. 90db inside the studio (VERY loud for me, I monitor much more quietly than that  and 55db ish outside the studio next to the side window. Tiny bit of noise of the back alley but hard to pin point exactly where it's coming from if you didn't know.

Pretty good I reckon, and basically at lower volume there's no obvious bleed out of the studio so I"m not disturbing anyone nor alerting 'ner do wells' to its presence :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Your pug looks baffled (default expression for mine) - I’m sure our Labradors are laughing at them in dog fashion 

Baffled or worried, they're the only two expressions pugs have from what I've seen!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ours isn’t really a dog, more a random collection of reflexes with the ability to walk. It’s available expressions amount to one word plus punctuation “what?” Or “what !”

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

Ours isn’t really a dog, more a random collection of reflexes with the ability to walk. It’s available expressions amount to one word plus punctuation “what?” Or “what !”

Sadly ours isn't even that. It's a methane fuelled, food dustbin with the ability to trample over everything breakable and snore like a Tajikistani tractor with a blown exhaust after he's done so.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have two - one previously described is so stupid that it runs right into parked cars whilst looking at them, the other is her full blood cousin, tiny even for a pug and so insanely clever that I honestly believe that she can secretly read books on astrophysics and speak five human languages fluently - take a guess which one the Labradors respect and don’t mess with 

 

clever <—.      Stupid —->

2EA0A3C6-2E4E-459F-B4E4-DF42270CFBBD.jpeg

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@WHUFC BASS and @Geek99 just to add to the Pug discussion, my boy Pug’s expression is permanently ‘worried’. Both of them though would be doing the same as yours in the build pictures, which in my household is what we sarcastically refer to as ‘being helpful’ (I.e. following you around everywhere and getting in the way). 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

@WHUFC BASS and @Geek99 just to add to the Pug discussion, my boy Pug’s expression is permanently ‘worried’. Both of them though would be doing the same as yours in the build pictures, which in my household is what we sarcastically refer to as ‘being helpful’ (I.e. following you around everywhere and getting in the way). 

Our stupid one’s more permanent expression is literally vacant ...

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, WHUFC BASS said:

... Ran out of timber ...

How can that happen..? Did you not measure it up before starting..? :scratch_one-s_head:

...

xD :P

Edited by Dad3353
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

How can that happen..? Did you not measure it up before starting..? :scratch_one-s_head:

...

xD :P

I did, but that was all I could get in the motor at the time. That was interesting journey home with all that timber in the back. I'm getting it delivered this time!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, WHUFC BASS said:

I did, but that was all I could get in the motor at the time. That was interesting journey home with all that timber in the back. I'm getting it delivered this time!

Buy a roof rack..? ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...