Why become a member? ×

Garden Studio Build Diary

WHUFC BASS

1 minute ago, WHUFC BASS said:

That's really good to know and thanks for the info.

It's funny, I was talking to our drummer yesterday about electric kits and he said that his main bug-bear was the bass drum. He found that there was no "kick back" (his words, not mine) like you were hitting a wall with the beater, whereas on an acoustic kit you get some rebound. He also stated that on most of the electric kits he's played, you get some excessive rebound from the snare and toms  which takes some getting used to. He did concede that he range of sounds was a plus with an electric kit though, just as you've pointed out here.

It's all down to getting used to the nuances of the electric kit. You can get used to anything and it becomes normal.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, WHUFC BASS said:

...He found that there was no "kick back" (his words, not mine) like you were hitting a wall with the beater, whereas on an acoustic kit you get some rebound...

Again, there are bass drum e-pads that are very good, these days, so maybe he could have a scout around in a good e-drum shop and try some out..? The snare and tom rebound is, similarly, catered for with modern heads. Not the cheapest ones, I'll agree, but there are some that are just like acoustic drums, but which trigger e-brains. Get him up-to-date before investing; he'll thank you for it afterwards..! :friends:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

To improve the basic internal acoustics even though the building itself is perfectly rectangular, you could angle one or more of the internal walls, maybe the ones that don't have either a window or a door in them?

I'm planning on building some home made bass traps and using them to create angles in each corner. I've read about software that you can buy that will take the shape of your room into consideration and make recommendations.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Plasterboard and power sockets all done. Being plastered tomorrow. Originally I was going to dry line and paint it but I just thought if I got it plastered the finish would look nicer, it'd be less hassle for me as I've never done taping and jointing before and it's pretty time consuming. Managed to get a reasonable price fo834363020_WhatsAppImage2021-08-26at08_53_23.thumb.jpeg.d1ff57eedfc9aeb0e97f2a93426ba0cd.jpeg432544666_WhatsAppImage2021-08-26at08_53.23(1).thumb.jpeg.0f2a134bc332ca4d8b0eb61e910808ef.jpeg539504831_WhatsAppImage2021-08-26at08_53.23(2).thumb.jpeg.d817e62c820e07c60414ee4496d56d88.jpeg351352425_WhatsAppImage2021-08-26at08_53.23(3).thumb.jpeg.695747dd0ab6843e873fdcc5fedbe61d.jpeg317472670_WhatsAppImage2021-08-26at08_53.23(4).thumb.jpeg.b395dcbc5a8cd88769d9d16c9a58fd17.jpeg710613030_WhatsAppImage2021-08-26at08_53.23(5).thumb.jpeg.c38fce50967fdf5b52fdd271e4d357c8.jpegr the plastering too so happy days!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bassybert said:

Looking great!

Are you planning on treating the walls acoustically at all once they're plastered/painted?

They're acoustic plasterboards that are up there now (that was no fun lugging 40kg plasterboards through the house into the garden on my own!) and there's acoustic Rockwool behind them. Then there's the cavity wall behind that so I'm hoping that will block most of the sound. The ceiling has a double skin of plasterboard and is sealed with acoustic sealant.
I plan on putting bass traps in as well as some acoustic panels along the walls and ceilings. I'm also toying with the idea of doing a vocal booth if the results on vocals aren't satisfactory.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bassybert said:

Sorry mate I meant internally in the room, such as bass traps, sound absorbing drapes etc

Well, as mentioned I'm planning on getting bass traps and acoustic boards (probably the Sound Mafia sort which look good value). I'm also looking at the Producer's Choice sound blankets for using over the doorway and window and also around loud guitar amps. I'll adjust accordingly depending on the results.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Is a window enough for ventilation? By opening it you’ll defeat the soundproofing and you can’t leave it open when not using as a scrote may invade 

That's something I'm going to look at. There's a ventilation strip on the window and it has a notched handle so it can be opened slightly and secured. I'll see how they perform and go from there. I've also looked into noiseless soundproof vents which I can fit into the door if need be.

Edited by WHUFC BASS

On 26/08/2021 at 08:57, WHUFC BASS said:

P351352425_WhatsAppImage2021-08-26at08_53.23(3).thumb.jpeg.695747dd0ab6843e873fdcc5fedbe61d.jpeg 

Now THAT'S the way to do it.

You can never have too many power sockets in a studio. It's not just the absolute number ...  it's also having sockets at just the right place on the wall for this particular kettle lead, or to make up for that one being hidden by a double bass etc.

• Like 2

On 27/08/2021 at 15:56, Happy Jack said:

Now THAT'S the way to do it.

You can never have too many power sockets in a studio. It's not just the absolute number ...  it's also having sockets at just the right place on the wall for this particular kettle lead, or to make up for that one being hidden by a double bass etc.

Indeed mate, that was the number one consideration when it came to power. They're all double sockets too which also have USB power to them as well. If I had my way, I would have had more but we've only got one 32amp fuse spare in our house so the recomended number of sockets was around 20. I'm also limited to what I can run so no fan heaters, tumble dryers or kettles. The sparks reckons it should be perfectly adequate for what I'm using it for and said there's no problem using adaptors as long as I'm aware of the ampage of the equipment I'm using.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update:

The plastering got done in a day and took over a week to dry fully, even with the window open! The walls are really out of kilter to in parts, there was quite  bit of plaster that needed to go on.

Finally got round to painting when it dried. Bought some Leyland trade emulsion. BIG MISTAKE! I was hoping to use my Wagner spray gun but the paint was full of small lumps which continually blocked the spray gun. Eventually decided to use a roller instead. One mist coat and one normal coat did the trick. Toyed with the idea of giving it another coat but it didn't really need it.

Bought the flooring second hand from Gumtree and bought the 7mm Royale Sonic Gold underlay which is the top of the range underlay for both soundproofing and temperature insulation.

Flooring going down tomorrow.

613891777_WhatsAppImage2021-09-08at13_28_29.thumb.jpeg.f24800cec46853b572793df4b89f8ebb.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-08 at 13.28.29 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-08 at 13.28.29 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-08 at 13.28.29 (4).jpeg

• Like 7