Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

mattbass6

3 hours ago, Wally Gogg said:

All over a few ounces ? Who really gives a **** ?

Not that you deserve a civil answer, but for the benefit of the rest of the thread's readership:

I've a P that I like very much. It weighs 9.15 lbs. My damaged left shoulder has informed me that 2022 is my final year with it. I know for a fact that my shoulder would be happy with an 8.0 lb P bass, so, wanting something to string with flats, I've been looking for one around that weight. If I can't find one, I could order another empress-bodied LB-100, which would be below 7.5 lbs, but would also be well over 6 months wait and £££££. The lower the weight, the more of a long term solution it is, the wiser I'll have spent my money.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Not that you deserve a civil answer, but for the benefit of the rest of the thread's readership:

I've a P that I like very much. It weighs 9.15 lbs. My damaged left shoulder has informed me that 2022 is my final year with it. I know for a fact that my shoulder would be happy with an 8.0 lb P bass, so, wanting something to string with flats, I've been looking for one around that weight. If I can't find one, I could order another empress-bodied LB-100, which would be below 7.5 lbs, but would also be well over 6 months wait and £££££. The lower the weight, the more of a long term solution it is, the wiser I'll have spent my money.

It weighs 8lb  3ozs Maybe it is below the quality you are wanting. But I can tell you it has a nice action and does play nicely. Sounds good as well. One of these might be the answer to your need.

YN - Y = Yako (Taiwan) Allegedly these Yako Taiwan built models were higher speck than the CN China built models.

Personally I have no knowledge to confirm that either way

16662462057155394402020096198876.jpg

16662462539207141474561612981764.jpg

16662463095354589367819860819458.jpg

16662463548705077112962105605427.jpg

16662465175985837696337943285263.jpg

Edited by Ralf1e
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Guitars are lighter than bass. 😆

7 hours ago, Ralf1e said:

It weighs 8lb  3ozs Maybe it is below the quality you are wanting. But I can tell you it has a nice action and does play nicely. Sounds good as well. One of these might be the answer to your need.

YN - Y = Yako (Taiwan) Allegedly these Yako Taiwan built models were higher speck than the CN China built models.

Personally I have no knowledge to confirm that either way

16662462057155394402020096198876.jpg

16662462539207141474561612981764.jpg

16662463095354589367819860819458.jpg

16662463548705077112962105605427.jpg

16662465175985837696337943285263.jpg

Is that not resting on the worktop there?

12 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Is that not resting on the worktop there?

Yes it is its why the photo shows it as 8lb 1 oz instead of the 8lb 3 oz I quoted.

I will get the electronic fishing scale out and check it then we will know for sure.

10 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

I remember very well the first time I picked up the late 60s/7-s Les Paul of a guitarist I played with. I was shocked that it weighed noticably more than my bass.

I remember trying one out in Denmark St in London before I chopped the end off my left hand forefinger and thinking the carved top sits far too high and makes it almost unplayable for us mere mortals. The guys that can get the best out of one of them deserve everything they get. oops Even if they have got 6 strings sorry

32 minutes ago, MungoBass said:

Am I the only person thinking this thread appears to be going off at a tangent? 😀

You are probably right. I have offered my ideas to the OP with pictorial evidence of what is out there. If he can't find one to help out the weight problem. If he cant he can borrow mine.

Maybe he was not the original poster in which case I apologize in advance.

We are at page 20?

Edited by Ralf1e

2 hours ago, MungoBass said:

Am I the only person thinking this thread appears to be going off at a tangent? 😀

Okay, back to Bass Direct.

They have my address on file, I've bought bits and bobs from them. I paid by PayPal, which automatically gives my address. They asked for my address, again, I gave it. And they...

... and they put a different address on the bass I had just bought. I had stayed in for the delivery, so when DHL sent me a text saying, your parcel has been delivered, I was surprised.

They also emailed me a photo of the front door they had attempted to deliver to. That's a holiday home, so no one was in. I went down the street knocking on doors until someone answered, and was only too happy to be shot of the huge parcel that had been dumped on them :D

• Sad 4

BD have form for wrongly addressing items they send out.

If they are not earlier in this thread then it will be in one of the others complaining about their (lack of) service.

I've had my own problem with wrongly addressed parcels from them. Back in 2015 I needed some rack ears for an amp I had bought off another Basschatter, and after looking on line and making a couple of phone calls I discovered the BD were the only supplier who had them in stock and more importantly could deliver them in time for me to be able to complete my rack system for a gig I had coming up. I had a telephone conversation with one of the staff (IIRC it was actually Mark) and confirmed everything in a follow-up email which contained all my contact details including my address. The following day my parcel from BD arrived, but when I opened it, I found no rack ears but instead a rather expensive pre-amp. I was immediately on the phone to BD so they could sort out the mistake and hopefully I would still get my rack ears before the gig, and was somewhat surprised to be asked to return the pre-amp at my own expense. I told BD in no uncertain terms, that if they wanted it back they needed to pay my postage and also confirm that the rack ears would be sent by a method that would ensure they arrived the next day (Saturday). In the end I got the right item and in time, but it was far from straight-forward and TBH should never have happened in the first place.

• Sad 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/10/2022 at 15:44, MungoBass said:

Well given that most other posts are either "Bass Direct are great and here's why" or "Bass Direct are stinky poo and here's why", thank god for tangents 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...