Why become a member? ×

Doom metal

SteveXFR

6 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

This is one of my all time absolute favorite doom rock/metal tracks:

And this one, with J. Mascis from Dinosaur Jr. on drums, is great too:

Not sure if you could characterize this doom, but it is an amazing track regardless:

Love that Seer track, reminds me of Uncle Acid and the deadbeats too 

• Like 2

I was disappointed when Hazemaze split up as well. I'd strongly recommend Saint Karloff as a current band doing a similar thing, really enjoyed their most recent album Paleolithic War Crimes: https://saintkarloff.bandcamp.com/album/paleolithic-war-crimes

Edited by Rageofklugman
Adding link
  • Like 1

Seems like i haven't mentioned yet that I actually got a doom/stoner rock project going myself, named "all I nil".

A solo project where the core main instrumentation will be a tenor bass (that is a bass tuned to A standard tuning, like the 4 upper strings on a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning), programmed/played via a weighted keys midi keyboard drums/percussion, and then vocals, with some more sparingly used additional, flavor oriented, programmed and physically played instrumentation added.

So far I got 7 more, but mostly less, traditional regular stoner/doom songs, and then an additional 4 more folky instrumentals, where almost all the bass parts and the form of the songs is in place, that just needs to be recorded down and then having drums and additional instrumentation added.

This is the "amp-less" setup that I use for this project:

My entire signal chain explained in written form  :

(*pedals listed in [ red/bold/underline text ] are "always on" effects*)

4 string 28.6" scale Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass (equipped with an EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, and strung with Elixir Nanoweb coated nickel-plated roundwound hex steel core guitar strings, gauge .068 - .052 - .038 - .028, tuned in tenor bass, A standard, tuning, that is as the 4 upper strings of a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning) ->

->> XVive Undulator (tremolo pedal, but never actually engaged and used exclusively for its great buffer) ->> EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor, with 2 preamp tubes operating at proper high 300V plate voltage, mainly used as a tube preamp stage, driven to just at the edge of the tubes's breakup point, but with some very subtle compression dialed in as well) ->> TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini (used exclusively for an 1 octave up effect, delivered by a custom made Toneprint, dialed in to mimic an 8 string bass/12 string guitar, to fill out more sonic space, mostly used in conjunction with my high gain distortion setup) ->> DigiTech FreqOut (feedback generator) ->> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (parallel effect loops mixer/switch) ={ [Loop A Send] ->> Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger (sometimes stacked into the HoTone tremolo in front of it, and always mixed with either clean signal or the Behringer phaser from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> HoTone Trem (tremolo, sometimes used with the Monarch Stereo Flanger behind it stacked into it, and always mixed with either clean signal, or sometimes the Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser, from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> [Loop A Return] ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] ->> Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser (clone of the original big box EHX Small Stone phaser, used with Color switch engaged for deep sweep and high resonance/feedback, and always mixed with the Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger from parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> [Loop B Return] ([Loop A] + [Loop B] mixed at an approximate 50/50 ratio) => [LS-2 Output] }=>->> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (parallel effect loops mixer/switch) ={ [Loop A Send] ->> Mosky Black Rat (RAT clone, in Turbo RAT, LED diode clipping, mode, quite raunchy, fuzz-esque, high gain distortion, always used mixed with the {Orange Juice -> Metal Zone} from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz (Boss FZ-2/Univox Superfuzz clone, octave fuzz, always mixed with either clean signal, or {Orange Juice -> Metal Zone}, from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> [Loop A Return] ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] ->> Joyo Orange Juice (Orange amp like overdrive, dialed in to deliver a low gain overdrive, always used stacked into the Boss Metal Zone in front of it, and mixed with the Mosky Black RAT from parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (distortion, dialed in at a rather moderate gain setting, always used with the Orange Juice behind it stacked into it, and always mixed with either the Mosky Black Rat, or sometimes the Behringer Super Fuzz, from parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> [Loop B Return] ([Loop A] + [Loop B] mixed at an approximate 50/50 ratio) => [LS-2 Output] }=>->> Zoom B1Xon (used predominantly as reverb unit, with various different reverb patches, including the always on {very subtle Plate Reverb -> subtle Spring Reverb} reverb patch that is part of my basic "clean" tone, and an extremely thick, lush reverb patch, used as a pad effect with volume swells from the build in expression pedal, though also used for a couple of additional effects, including a prominent "wah" pedal patch and a trippy reverse delay patch) ->> Danelectro Fab Metal (post reverb high gain distortion, often used stacked into the Orange Juice in front of it) ->> Joyo Orange Juice (post reverb medium gain distortion) ->> Behringer VD400 Vintage Delay (clone of the Boss DM-3 Analog Delay) ->> NUX Tape Core Deluxe (amazing digital emulation of the legendary Roland RE-201 Space Echo tape delay) ->> NUX (NBP-5) Melvin Lee Davis Bass Preamp + DI  (loaded with a digitally emulated Aguilar Tone Hammer amp, and an Ampeg SVT-212AV IR cab simulation, with a subtle low gain overdrive blended in at a 50/50 clean/drive ratio) ->

->> ART Tube MP Project Series (tube preamp and DI, with build in HPF, fixed @40Hz -12dB/Oct, engaged, tube driven to just on the verge of breakup point->

// ->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging  // ->> Home practice // ->> Home recordings //  : 

// ->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging ->> Effects Return (poweramp input) of a Peavey Solo Special 112 (160W combo amp, with the build in speaker disconnect and instead hooked up to a passive PA speaker) ->> The Box PA 502 (passive full range flat frequency response PA speaker with 1x 15"  woofer/mids driver + 1.7" high frequency tweeter horn) // ->> Home practice  ->> The T.Mix Mix 502 (mixer) ->> Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (studio grade, that is FRFR, headphones) // ->> Home recordings ->> M-Audio Fast Track (audio interface) ->> Reaper (DAW) //

But planning to at some point add an EHX Attack Decay, an EHX Freeze at some point, as well as a TC Electronic Ditto X4 looper, and then possibly an EHX Bass9 (to be able to play lower than A1), and possibly some of the other EHX 9 pedals as well, mainly interested in the B9, Mel9 and Synth9.

And I should add treating my tenor bass as sort of a hybrid bass/guitar in terms of how and what I play on it, as well as I make use of a slide, obviously for slide guitar/steel guitar like stuff, and a mallet, used to play dulcimer like stuff. 

My Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass, that I named "Dud Bottomfeeder" , with the stock pickups pulled out, replaced with just one EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, wired directly to the output jack socket, the stock side mounted barrel type jack socket having been pulled out and replaced for a front mounted regular jack socket, and tuned to tenor bass, A standard, tuning :

image.thumb.png.1ca8fae2e3b4819d29d1c6a783514b6c.png

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

36 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Seems like i haven't mentioned yet that I actually got a doom/stoner rock project going myself, named "all I nil".

A solo project where the core main instrumentation will be a tenor bass (that is a bass tuned to A standard tuning, like the 4 upper strings on a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning), programmed/played via a weighted keys midi keyboard drums/percussion, and then vocals, with some additional, more flavor oriented, programmed and physically played instrumentation added from other instruments.

So far I got 7 more, but mostly less, traditional stoner/doom regular songs, and then an additional 4 more folky instrumentals, where almost all the bass parts and the form of the songs is in place, that just needs to be recorded down and then having drums and additional instrumentation added.

This is the "amp-less" setup that I use for this project:

But planning to an EHX Attack Decay, an EHX Freeze at some point, as well as a TC Electronic Ditto X4 looper, and then possibly an EHX Bass9 (to be able to play lower than A1), and possibly some of the other EHX 9 pedals as well, mainly interested in the B9, Mel9 and Synth9.

And I should add treating my tenor bass as sort of a hybrid bass/guitar in terms of how and what I play on it, as well as I make use of a slide, obviously for slide guitar/steel guitar like stuff, and a mallet, used to play dulcimer like stuff. 

My Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass, that I named "Dud Bottomfeeder" , with the stick pickups pulled out, replaced with just one EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, wired directly to the output jack socket, the stock side mounted barrel type one having been pulled out and replaced for a front mounted regular jack socket, and tuned to tenor bass, A standard, tuning :

image.thumb.png.1ca8fae2e3b4819d29d1c6a783514b6c.png

Sounds like a great project, I'd be particularly interested to hear the dulcimer like parts

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Graham said:

Sounds like a great project, I'd be particularly interested to hear the dulcimer like parts

Thank you.

I need to have my old computer set up again though, where all my music production related software is on (can't be assed to install all that, especially not the buttload of individual VST's I got on it, on my new computer again), as well as I need to buy a dedicated screen for it and a new audio interface (cause my current one is pretty crappy and has developed issues), so I will have a dedicated music production computer/setup.

And as I am not in the best financial, or mental for that matter, situation it might take a while before I can even start to get the first recordings down.

Hopefully somewhere before next year though.

I already have some working titled and a preliminary track list in mind (which though might very well change, as I might come up with new material, or scrap some of the current ones):

Dreamscape Mystery [short instrumental]

3rd Eye of Hypnos

Daze of Our Life

A Dorian Odyssey [long instrumental]

Monolith Meadow

Spacing Out 

In Orbit

Out of Space [short instrumental]

Doctor You (we die only once...)

Crystal Meth Overdrive

Utopian Mist [long instrumental]

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Wilson_51_ said:

I saw you guys had been added to that! Congratulations and I also really enjoyed your set on Saturday in Banbury. 

Aye up mate! ahh nice one, cheers, you guys we're mint, I nearly even convinced myself we should down tune!

Hi all,

Some shameless self promotion again but my bands second album, Umbra, is launched today on Vinyl, CD and all digital formats. Single track, 43 mins...reasonably epic :)

BANDCAMP: https://gevaudan.bandcamp.com/album/umbra

Spotify: https://spotify.link/h1sdZ2PqRDb

We're playing it live tonight at The Fiddlers Elbow in London in case anyone fancies a trip out. ✌️

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

Hi all,

Some shameless self promotion again but my bands second album, Umbra, is launched today on Vinyl, CD and all digital formats. Single track, 43 mins...reasonably epic :)

BANDCAMP: https://gevaudan.bandcamp.com/album/umbra

Spotify: https://spotify.link/h1sdZ2PqRDb

We're playing it live tonight at The Fiddlers Elbow in London in case anyone fancies a trip out. ✌️

Seen the reviews mate, looking good, I finish work in 20 mins and I shall stream on my way home!

OOH and Tell Pete Riffmonkey Hi from Stoff Saturday!

Edited by Stofferson
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got a short run of dates with Gévaudan promoting our latest album Umbra starting towards the end of next week. For fans of doom/ psychedelia - fans of pallbearer/ YOB/ Warning / black Sabbath/ pink Floyd  type vibes.

Our latest album is a single 43 minute track exploring depression through eldritch horror - pretty epic. Music links and list of dates and venues below, thanks ✌️

Spotify:

Bandcamp: https://gevaudan.bandcamp.com/album/umbra

LaunchTourposter-SOCIALPOST.thumb.jpg.5e408052de48181e6171f910cf8bf712.jpg

• Like 3

On 06/09/2023 at 12:28, Graham said:

Anyone going to Damnation Festival this year?

Electric Wizard, Katatonia (twice), Amenra, Ahab, Khemmis and Tuskar would probably all appeal to folk in this thread

FB_IMG_1693999555560.jpg

wow i know they barely play live but that was electric wizards only uk show this year? damn. if theyd only come play their hometown 😩

Edited by sky
makes better gramatical sense

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...