Why become a member? ×

Doom metal

SteveXFR

I went to see sunn O))) in Glasgow last month.  Saw hee haw ( it's a Scottish expression) and left after an hour. They seemed to be playing the same piece over two chords.  This was all we were treated to visually.  20240326_204159.thumb.jpg.93cc67defa976971d59ceadabaa4a529.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

50 minutes ago, NoRhino said:

I went to see sunn O))) in Glasgow last month.  Saw hee haw ( it's a Scottish expression) and left after an hour. They seemed to be playing the same piece over two chords.  This was all we were treated to visually.  20240326_204159.thumb.jpg.93cc67defa976971d59ceadabaa4a529.jpg

I saw them in Bristol several years ago. That's kind of their thing. Loads of smoke and even less chords than Status Quo.

I'm not sure they're really doom, it's more like experimental soundscape type stuff.

6 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I saw them in Bristol several years ago. That's kind of their thing. Loads of smoke and even less chords than Status Quo.

I'm not sure they're really doom, it's more like experimental soundscape type stuff.

Worked on a metal festival in 2005 lasting three or four days - they played on the last day. Drunk and wrecked people were lying everywhere so we thought excessive use of smoke cannons was a bad idea and turned them off to prevent people get trampled over. The room was filled with smoke when the decision was made and it made for an interesting half hour at work.

To their credit they were loud enough to make most people pinch their eyes anyway so no smoke was really needed .

Man they were loud.

Which reminds me of an anekdote: A friend did lights at a Motorhead show and asked their sound engineer if they were always this loud and got told they used to be way louder in a manner that made me laugh:

"It wasn't LOUD, it was like -squints eyes and shouts desperatly- YOU COULDN'T SEE!!".

For further interesting info , look up the Tensor Tympani muscle which is usually coming into work when people squint their eyes because of noise. I can control it without squinting and probably many here can out of necessity for blocking loud noise/music. It produces a "distant thunder like" sound. 

Edited by HornetPinata
  • Like 2