Jump to content

Sky Arts and other music related programmes


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

It was on Yesterday...I recorded it.

I enjoyed it, but it did just skip from one venue to another with a few songs in between.

It did make the point that we need these venues.

On a personal note I was well miffed at the coverage of Nottingham's Rock City.

It's among the top venues in the Country and has a history of showcasing some amazing bands,that went on to become superstars.

It's the place that I am most proud of playing at but ...the program featured....

The  Sleaford Mods!

 

Sorry fans.... I can't stand them.

 

Two full "songs" from them too .... spot the grumpy old Rock fan comment there.

:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

It was on Yesterday...I recorded it.

I enjoyed it, but it did just skip from one venue to another with a few songs in between.

It did make the point that we need these venues.

On a personal note I was well miffed at the coverage of Nottingham's Rock City.

It's among the top venues in the Country and has a history of showcasing some amazing bands,that went on to become superstars.

It's the place that I am most proud of playing at but ...the program featured....

The  Sleaford Mods!

 

Sorry fans.... I can't stand them.

 

Two full "songs" from them too .... spot the grumpy old Rock fan comment there.

:D

I love Rock City, some of my favourite gigs have been there superb venue. Doubly happy Sleaford Mods were on, one of the most important bands since Crass for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I love Rock City, some of my favourite gigs have been there superb venue. Doubly happy Sleaford Mods were on, one of the most important bands since Crass for me.

I fully accept that I am out of line with current day thinking. They did mention that Bowie played there in the 90's and Skin from Skunk Anansie was interviewed so it's not all bad. 😉

I just can't stand the "rapping" to tracks format of The Sleaford Mods, it just winds me up.

It's easy though ...

I don't go to their gigs or listen to their songs and they don't notice.

:i-m_so_happy:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Each to their own I say, our differences, be it musical or otherwise, are to be celebrated. Whatever your musical tastes it’s an honour to know you Sir. *salutes*

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Each to their own I say, our differences, be it musical or otherwise, are to be celebrated. Whatever your musical tastes it’s an on our to know you Sir. *salutes*

Likewise Mr Blank. Likewise.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Unlike some of the old farts on here I like the Sleaford Mods. Punk ethic, a little political, passionate, honest. A lot of their stuff is bass driven, even if sampled, melodic.

 

OI!

 

I resemble that remark!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Unlike some of the old farts on here I like the Sleaford Mods. Punk ethic, a little political, passionate, honest. A lot of their stuff is bass driven, even if sampled, melodic.

 

I think Sleaford Mods are great too. Vocally and instrumentally.

I’m Ok with their methodology on record, but afraid I’m not really sure about the whole “laptop and mic” thing live. 

To my ears it would sound good with a live bass ( with processing, not a straight bass sound) .

Thoughts?
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

To my ears it would sound good with a live bass ( with processing, not a straight bass sound) .

Thoughts?

Sleaford Mods.... not for me.

Caught the end of Jonathan Ross when flippin thru the channels... Royal Blood... Drums, Keys 'n processing by Bass, bit Daft Punkish... more my cup of tea... likes the 'Trouble Coming' from it's Radio X playing... may have to get the album.

Edited by PaulThePlug
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

I think Sleaford Mods are great too. Vocally and instrumentally.

I’m Ok with their methodology on record, but afraid I’m not really sure about the whole “laptop and mic” thing live. 

To my ears it would sound good with a live bass ( with processing, not a straight bass sound) .

Thoughts?
 

 

I've seen them live and they were really good. You just focus on Jason Williamson who is a great frontman, I'm all for seeing full bands but I imagine they would just fade into the background with a frontman like him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/04/2021 at 19:41, upside downer said:

Glad you posted this, had no idea about it. Just watched, very good. KT Tunstall makes a fine job of presenting and her enthusiasm and love for Ivor's work shines through.

I loved it, but then I love KT, which helps. Have met her a few times and she comes across just the same, really lovely, funny, smart and enthusiastic. Have been introducing my Python-loving band members to a bit of Ivor.

Loved the Go-Go’s and Joan Jett documentaries, and the Lynyrd Skynyrd and Suzy Q ones (were they Sky Arts? I forget). 

Just watched the Paul Simon concert in the park from 1991, recorded last week. Great show, with Armand Sabal-Lecco absolutely killing it. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Sleaford Mods

What to say. A frontman who sounds like the totaly original and utterly unique Mr J Rotten so nowt original there and a format that is just plain weird with a programmer? stood there dancing?.....you youngans...... :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well at least Sleaford Mods are stirring emotions in people so they're doing something right I suppose. Personally, I'm not a fan. It's like watching a scumbag kicking off in Primark that his £2.99 t-shirt ripped when he fell over pissed, and his timid mate looking a little nervous at the scene being made. 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

What to say. A frontman who sounds like the totaly original and utterly unique Mr J Rotten so nowt original there and a format that is just plain weird with a programmer? stood there dancing?.....you youngans...... :)

I’m 60, hardly young, listening to a band made up of a 50 and 49 year old.

Edited by Frank Blank
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

I’m 60, hardly young, listening to a band made up of a 50 and 49 year old.

I hardly feel that anyone needs to defend their opinion of the Sleaford Mods (or any other act) on here.

Surely we are all musicians and accept that music is subjective?

I don't like them ..no biggie...they won't care, and their fans can cast sobriquets my way to their hearts content ( I'm quite proud that I have been labelled a "boring old fart" though  😉 ).It doesn't make me right (or wrong) it's just my opinion.

The esteemed Mr Blank ,and their fans have theirs...so be it.

This name calling and derision is what is wrong with the world of soshull medja (IMVHO)

Twerps!

:on_the_quiet:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

This name calling and derision is what is wrong with the world of soshull medja (IMVHO)

Twerps!

:on_the_quiet:

I feel I should point out that my description was purely tongue in cheek. But also realise that my lack of smilies means nobody knows that. 

I'll happily take the twerp tag though. 😉👍

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

I hardly feel that anyone needs to defend their opinion of the Sleaford Mods (or any other act) on here.

Surely we are all musicians and accept that music is subjective?

I don't like them ..no biggie...they won't care, and their fans can cast sobriquets my way to their hearts content ( I'm quite proud that I have been labelled a "boring old fart" though  😉 ).It doesn't make me right (or wrong) it's just my opinion.

The esteemed Mr Blank ,and their fans have theirs...so be it.

This name calling and derision is what is wrong with the world of soshull medja (IMVHO)

Twerps!

:on_the_quiet:

Absolutely. I only commented to let people know the documentary was on, come on Ray, back to the gentlemanly civility of The Den, my round.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

I feel I should point out that my description was purely tongue in cheek. But also realise that my lack of smilies means nobody knows that. 

I'll happily take the twerp tag though. 😉👍

I feel that I should point out that all my comments on here are light-hearted...

I apologise if I gave the impression that I was annoyed!....

The twerp thing is a joke we use in the DOI thread ...

it is most definitely NOT a slur on your good character sir.

:hi:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Absolutely. I only commented to let people know the documentary was on, come on Ray, back to the gentlemanly civility of The Den, my round.

See my reply to Maude Franky baby ...

I'll have a drink, as long as I don't have to watch any of those interminable train videos!

:D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...