Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

The RM800 is a great amp but I can hear an improvement in the sound with the ABM 

The notes have more weight and authority to them.

I can understand why people say on larger stages these have the edge over class D 

Ok they cost a lot more that the RM series so it should have something otherwise I wouldn’t want one ! 

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

I really must try the RM at some point.

Especially as the fans seem to be very quiet compared to the big brother!

The dual fans on the new ABM600 are quiet and acceptable.

The RM800 is quieter though so better for home / studio 

32 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

The dual fans on the new ABM600 are quiet and acceptable.

The RM800 is quieter though so better for home / studio 

The ABM600 fans are not acceptable to me in the slightest!

Sometimes I'm playing with a single clarinet and the fan noise is obvious and distracting.

18 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

Mine is very quiet regarding unwanted noise 

You sure it’s not the bass pickups adding to the noise ? 

It does it with all basses. I think it's because I'm playing in a garage room and using a powerline internet extender. The amp doesn't sound like this in other rooms. I hope that's the answer anyways!

Off on a slight tangent, I recently discovered that I quite like the ABM Pro Neo cabs. They're a bit heftier sounding than the Rootmaster cab, but double the price.

IMG20211103095935.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

It does it with all basses. I think it's because I'm playing in a garage room and using a powerline internet extender. The amp doesn't sound like this in other rooms. I hope that's the answer anyways!

Off on a slight tangent, I recently discovered that I quite like the ABM Pro Neo cabs. They're a bit heftier sounding than the Rootmaster cab, but double the price.

IMG20211103095935.jpg

How on earth did you manage to reverse only half the photo?

Weird!

• Like 1

After 3 years with my RM500 Evo, I'm still not sure how to properly set the Input gain. I usually add gain until the red light appears. Then I take some off. It clips a little bit from time to time, more often when I play the 5th string. The VU meter doesn't move away from the 10, but I just have to ignore it I guess. How do you guys set your RM? 

Edited by javi_bassist

My RM800 EVO II is set by getting my loudest input level ( set with output turned off ) and the green / yellow light shows and as it hits the red zone I stop increasing. Mine has never shown a red light !

I tend to use my ears to judge if a clean signal and go from there. 
Recently I asked Ashdown about input signal ( more to do with ABM600 but also RM ) and they said occasional dips into the red zone is fine but not hard over in the red zone all the time !

3 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

Just checked and “10” is very low on the VU 

You may want to get it checked out as the needle should move across ideally to “0” or into the red just on loudest playing 

It is very low. However, increasing the input it makes the amp to clip (and the rid light shows)