Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

5 minutes ago, verb said:

You put forward a very strong argument, I guess I'll have to order one then.

I'm sat here with my laptop on my lap staring at the Super Compact and RM EVOII in front of me.   I am very pleased with my purchase and I imagine most others would be too.  Be aware, the bargain basement £286 I paid is no more.  They are now charging an outrageous £289.00 for it.  It's still in stock though, they must have had loads.

• Like 1

I’m liking this set up, perhaps not the usual way to place two cabs but they both enjoy connection with the ground and sound good. Orange Little Bass Thing sounds good too with this rig, all set for pick playing so deep and punchy for good rock sound with a PBass 17C14F28-E9B1-46DE-A4E2-337B2DAB482F.thumb.jpeg.88273fd31f4e2b577e1b348808c9a2a9.jpeg

Edited by BassAdder27

Couldn’t resist those MP prices… and not sure how they’ve done it at that price. 
But, I’ve got a RM 112 combo on the way. 
Have wanted a small(ish) combo for ages, at £332 delivered, there’s not really any competition; even at 2nd hand prices. 

• Like 3

On 23/08/2021 at 09:41, nilebodgers said:

Errrr, I shouldn't have looked. Musik Produktiv have the RM210s very cheap. A second one would be great to go with the one I already have.

Of course I don't NEED another one.

Bah! I lasted over a week before I caved. Just bought one so I will have a pair of 2x10 now. Couldn't resist £194 - how are they doing that price???

Edited by nilebodgers
  • Like 1

Another plus point for musik prod - these are genuine EVOii combos, not old stock evo 1.

I had a discussion with someone a while ago, who had been sold an evo 1 as an evo 2, and the evo ii definitely have "Evo ii" not "evolution" written on them, and the headphone option in the rear panel. Also they have a dulled fascia plate.

Mine took about 4 days from ordering to arriving at the door.

• Like 1

Thanks all, good to hear. I just looked at the invoice, £55 quid is import duty.  The combo cost £276. Which seems absolutely mad. That must be quite a lot below a retailer’s cost?

@la bam I may be wrong, but I believe the 1x12 is a mk1. Did they do a mk2? 

Edited by M@23

There's an Ashdown RM800 in my local rehearsal room.

Although it is pretty loud, with the gain maxed, the amp doesn't get any louder after half way on the master.

Is this something RM owners have observed with their own amps?

It's being put through an Ashdown ABM-410H-EVO IV.

9 minutes ago, gjones said:

Although it is pretty loud, with the gain maxed, the amp doesn't get any louder after half way on the master.

I’ve never had to push my RM800 that hard… probably loudest I’ve got was about 11 o’clock volume, gain around 2 o’clock.

19 minutes ago, gjones said:

I would say it’s faulty !!

1 hour ago, M@23 said:

Thanks all, good to hear. I just looked at the invoice, £55 quid is import duty.  The combo cost £276. Which seems absolutely mad. That must be quite a lot below a retailer’s cost?

@la bam I may be wrong, but I believe the 1x12 is a mk1. Did they do a mk2? 

It would be the head that is the evo ii, so I'd imagine (but I'm not sure) an evo ii would be the same for a 12 as it would for the 210?

1 hour ago, gjones said:

51 minutes ago, Merton said:

I’ve never had to push my RM800 that hard… probably loudest I’ve got was about 11 o’clock volume, gain around 2 o’clock.

43 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

I would say it’s faulty !!

Yeah, in my punk band, admittedly using a Sansamp as well, my gain was at 2 o’clock, rare I ever needed to go past 9 o’clock on volume and that was on the RM500 into one of the same cabs. At the settings described above I think even Lemmy would have got earache.

1 hour ago, la bam said:

It would be the head that is the evo ii, so I'd imagine (but I'm not sure) an evo ii would be the same for a 12 as it would for the 210?

I’ll see what turns up! I’m not too worried either way, at that price. Looks like they may have discontinued the 112 combo, where’s the other seems more available and marketed more clearly as Evo II. 

Well thanks to @Merton and this thread I have also taken the plunge on an RM800 from MP for my new small pub rig.

Just need to find a cab to match with now, thinking BF210, or maybe a PJB C8 (or two C4's).   Depends on what I can find reasonably priced second hand!

• Like 4

I talked to the top bod at Ashdown a while back and he said their volume controls are designed to be fairly linear all the way to the top.  So you get top volume at top settings.  He said some other makers cram all the acceleration in the first half of the volume control, giving the illusion of serious pokiness to come but in fact there's not much improvement after that. FWIW. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MattW said:

Well thanks to @Merton and this thread I have also taken the plunge on an RM800 from MP for my new small pub rig.

Just need to find a cab to match with now, thinking BF210, or maybe a PJB C8 (or two C4's).   Depends on what I can find reasonably priced second hand!

Top choices both.  My PJ cabs (cab 27 and 47) were the mutts, as was my BF210.  Wish I hadn't sold the 210... Not sure if they're not fairly different though.The PJs are very clean, whereas the BF is quite 'dark'. YMMV, just MHO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lownote said:

Top choices both.  My PJ cabs (cab 27 and 47) were the mutts, as was my BF210.  Wish I hadn't sold the 210... Not sure if they're not fairly different though.The PJs are very clean, whereas the BF is quite 'dark'. YMMV, just MHO.

That's interesting - thanks - makes sense of a few other things I've read.  Good to have some input from someone who has used both!  

1 hour ago, MattW said:

That's interesting - thanks - makes sense of a few other things I've read.  Good to have some input from someone who has used both!  

Not sure what sense it made me calling the 210 'dark'.  More a sax term I think.  What I meant was the PJ are I think uncoloured and reflect your bass and how you play it, the BF 10s (110 and 210) are advertsied as coloured - kind of warmer, and 'smokier'.  I would and did choose the BF 210 for my blues band, where the bass is more a melodic drum. I also used the PJ for that with suitable EQ adjustment, but the PJ's more inclined towards using the bass as a melodic instrument.  Christ I type some pompous b*llocks at times, lol.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lownote said:

Not sure what sense it made me calling the 210 'dark'.  More a sax term I think.  What I meant was the PJ are I think uncoloured and reflect your bass and how you play it, the BF 10s (110 and 210) are advertsied as coloured - kind of warmer, and 'smokier'.  I would and did choose the BF 210 for my blues band, where the bass is more a melodic drum. I also used the PJ for that with suitable EQ adjustment, but the PJ's more inclined towards using the bass as a melodic instrument.  Christ I type some pompous b*llocks at times, lol.  

Ha 😀. Made sense to me.  I use a Big Twin II for big gigs which is less supposed tonally coloured (more FRFR) than the 10 inch BF models.  Guess the PJB's would have similar characteristics in that regard, which is a good thing in my book!

On 02/09/2021 at 12:00, nilebodgers said:

Bah! I lasted over a week before I caved. Just bought one so I will have a pair of 2x10 now. Couldn't resist £194 - how are they doing that price???

Got my cab last week, Musik thingy were very efficient.

Cab is nice and definitely a v2 as it says so and the tweeter is different to the one in my original cab which must be a v1 (the one that Ashdown took back and upgraded due to the original tweeter being dead on arrival).

I don’t have space to set the rig up until I get moved into the new house I’m trying to buy though. Grrr 🙁

• Like 1

• Guest changed the title to Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club