Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club

Guest BassAdder27

1 hour ago, Merton said:

What are all your various EQ/drive/comp/sub settings? The clip LED will be affected by all of these…

A little bit bass (between 12-1), a little bit of low-mid cut (11) and a little bit of mid (12-1). Comp at 9 (today, it's usually off) and drive at 7-8. Nothing extreme I think. But I have tried with no Drive, no eq and no comp and it's the same.

8 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

A little bit bass (between 12-1), a little bit of low-mid cut (11) and a little bit of mid (12-1). Comp at 9 (today, it's usually off) and drive at 7-8. Nothing extreme I think. But I have tried with no Drive, no eq and no comp and it's the same.

It’s definitely not right 

I think you get 5 years warranty 

Edited by BassAdder27

8 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

Yep nothing extreme at all! Give Ashdown a buzz or drop them an email :)

• Like 1

I've been talking to Ashdown the last couple of days. Apparently the amp is fine, but the VU is reading low. I could send it back to the dealer to be checked. However, since I'd have to send it to Germany, I think I will just keep it.

Checking some reviews on Youtube I saw that, in none of the heads, the needle in the VU moves past 10, which is the same as mine. I guess it's a common thing and we all set it this way. The amp still sounds good. I have to say that it's a little bit annoying to have the VU meter and it being useless. But after three years using it this way, I got used to its sound.

I sometimes when playing watch mine and think oh crap it’s gone into the red zone !!

I end up turning it down and upping the output volume a little 

I wouldn’t worry about it and use your ears to judge if clean sounding or distorted 

Shows up more in low E string or low B string for 5 string players 

43 minutes ago, Merton said:

I have to say I pay very little attention to the VU, it’s not actually as useful as a clip LED etc, it’s more just a nice thing to look at

Even though I had been setting it properly for the last 3 years, this all started because I read the manual. In the manual (at least the RM500 manual) says that you should use the VU meter to set the signal. It doesn't say anything about the clipping light. Thinking about someone who is starting and gets his/her first amp, it is a mistake. They should take care more about this things.

I've always been an Ashdown fan. I've played a lot of amps, and I always come back to Ashdown. I love the sound of my RM500 and when I go ampless, I always use my OriginAL preamp. However, I think Ashdown has always failed when it comes to little details, like the VU meter in the RM500. There is a thread about someone who has bought an ABM 600 and the push buttons are reversed. In my OriginAL preamp, not all of the buttons are the same size when pushed out. These things do not affect the good sound all these devices produce, but IMO they give the wrong impression that Ashdown is not a top-serious company (and it is).  

• Like 1

Is anyone using a RM 500 head with a pair of ABM 112H EVO IV PRO NEOs? They look a good match and mean I can use just one cab for smaller gigs and then add the second one if needed. Seem to be a very good price here as well. https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gb/ashdown-abm-112h-evo-iv-pro-neo.html

19 minutes ago, SuperSeagull said:

Is anyone using a RM 500 head with a pair of ABM 112H EVO IV PRO NEOs? They look a good match and mean I can use just one cab for smaller gigs and then add the second one if needed. Seem to be a very good price here as well. https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gb/ashdown-abm-112h-evo-iv-pro-neo.html

I use the 500 head with a pair of fifteen inch ABM Pro Neos. There's a NCD thread about it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SuperSeagull said:

Got it thanks. Sounds like you are pleased with them. 

Definitely. Used one last night for rehearsal, very happy. There's a bit more depth and roundness to the sound than I had with the Rootmaster cab. And I liked the Rootmaster cab a lot. This is just a step up from that. 

• Like 1

As the OP of this topic I find myself feeling somewhat guilty as I’ve just sold my new RM800 EVO II head

With the ABM600 I didn’t see the need of keeping it ( both excellent amps ) and I still have my Orange LBT as a backup amp which I nearly sold too !

Seems a waste to have a new amp head doing very little so I may still let the LBT go but get an old A/B head as back up 

9 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

As the OP of this topic I find myself feeling somewhat guilty as I’ve just sold my new RM800 EVO II head

With the ABM600 I didn’t see the need of keeping it ( both excellent amps ) and I still have my Orange LBT as a backup amp which I nearly sold too !

Seems a waste to have a new amp head doing very little so I may still let the LBT go but get an old A/B head as back up 

🙄🤪🤣

6EAjlX.gif

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys,

I had been gigging hard my RM500. However, in my last gigs, the sound guys are telling me that the DI from the head has some noise. They can hide it, but it's there. They also ask me if it has a ground lift switch (I don't know why Ashdown doesn't include it). Do you people have any noise coming from the DI? I have to admit that no one had told me that before the pandemic and I don't listen to any noise when I try it at home.

• Guest changed the title to Ashdown Rootmaster RM owners club