Why become a member? ×

1958 P Bass, £7000

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

As he says..."The Bass has its originality issue "...

Yep, and if I was asking for £7k I'd be showing its originality too. Not suggesting it is fake or misrepresented but some neck pocket and serial numbers would be helpful rather than conjecture about the hardness of the wood...

• Like 1

First line of description. 'Original 1958 Fender Precision Bass'. 

Second line of description. 'Restored about 12 years ago.......' and goes on to say that nearly every part of it has been messed with. 

Soooo, talk to me about this word 'original' that you led with. 🙄

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Maude said:

First line of description. 'Original 1958 Fender Precision Bass'. 

Second line of description. 'Restored about 12 years ago.......' and goes on to say that nearly every part of it has been messed with. 

Soooo, talk to me about this word 'original' that you led with. 🙄

Don’t forget how original Trigger’s broom was......🤫

• Like 1

Seems quite an honest description to me, can't really fault the seller for listing everything that might put buyers off. It's a 60yr old working instrument at the end of the day and has had some work done to keep it going, could do with more pictures but I assume anybody spending £7k on a bass is going to be checking it out first.

I'm really hoping that his bass really is worth £7k.

If a bunch of replacement parts and after-market paint, all of dubious origin (no provenance or documentation, just what he claims the previous UK owner told him) is worth that much, then my all-original, unmolested 1957 P is worth a lot more than I ever realised.

I wouldn't touch this listing with a bargepole. 

This is not a reflection on the vendor's honesty, more on the sanity of anyone who would buy this bass at this price.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

If a bunch of replacement parts and after-market paint, all of dubious origin (no provenance or documentation, just what he claims the previous UK owner told him) is worth that much, then my all-original, unmolested 1957 P is worth a lot more than I ever realised.

This is not a reflection on the vendor's honesty, more on the sanity of anyone who would buy this bass at this price.

My favourite sellers are the antagonistic ones that want to sell a vintage bass for £3000 but won’t ‘take it apart or photograph it’.

”Just trust me, it’s definitely legit. Honest...”

23 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

it is worth a bit more than £7k... https://www.andybaxterbass.com/collections/fender-precision-bass/products/1957-fender-precision-bass-2-tone-sunburst-2 

In my search for a precision I actually ended up chatting to the seller the OP links too about vintage fenders. From chatting to him I think you're right that the vendor is probably ok, the sanity of vintage fender prices....  

2 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

it is worth a bit more than £7k... https://www.andybaxterbass.com/collections/fender-precision-bass/products/1957-fender-precision-bass-2-tone-sunburst-2 

In my search for a precision I actually ended up chatting to the seller the OP links too about vintage fenders. From chatting to him I think you're right that the vendor is probably ok, the sanity of vintage fender prices....  

Blimey Luke, talk about apples & pears!

That Andy Baxter bass is a genuine, all-original Precision from one of the UK's best-known and most reputable dealers. It is also IMHO horribly over-priced, and it will only be worth that amount of money if someone buys it for £13,500. Which patently has not happened. Yet. 😉

The bass in the OP for this topic may very well be built on a genuine 1958 but there is no way of knowing. With no provenance, no evidence, but plenty of admissions about refins and parts replacements, it could be just about anything.

25 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

That Andy Baxter bass is a genuine, all-original Precision from one of the UK's best-known and most reputable dealers. It is also IMHO horribly over-priced, and it will only be worth that amount of money if someone buys it for £13,500. Which patently has not happened. Yet. 😉

The bass in the OP for this topic may very well be built on a genuine 1958 but there is no way of knowing. With no provenance, no evidence, but plenty of admissions about refins and parts replacements, it could be just about anything.

That's the reality, this came up in another thread, a 100% honest seller does not mean that s/he is sufficiently expert to know what they're selling. There are some very dishonest and sometimes simply careless dealers out there selling some very honest payers some very dodgy basses. When I was looking for my '64 - Jack, you were there the day i found it you may remember - I went into a lot of the big name shops. Even those guys would say things like "I'm not taking the neck off, it came from ....... who used to play in ........ so I know it's kosher". On this basis I was assured by a very well known dealer in SW London that a lovely Precision they had was June '64. I showed them my card and said that I would take it away that day if they're prepared to take off the neck and pickguard and prove it to me, because I didn't think it was, but of course there's enough wiggle room around various indicators for me to not be 100% sure. Neck was '67 :( 

Bottom line, as Jack said, if the only evidence is 'what the previous owner told me', you are essentially gambling. You might get lucky and buy a '67 and find it's really a '62. But by the same token, Trump might concede defeat and the UK Government might get track and trace working.....

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

Jack, you were there the day i found it you may remember

I remember it well, Chris. I was desperate to like Jazz basses and had no idea how to identify a 'good one' ... your help that day was invaluable. Plus it was fun too. :biggrin:

And no, I still don't get on with Jazz basses. It took me FAR too long to realise that the sound in my head was a Precision. 9_9

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

that's from the "sold" section of his website... 

but I get your main point RE this bass

Edited by LukeFRC

The Andy Baxter bass is still up on Reverb, maybe they have marked it sold on their site due to lockdown? Incidentally Reverb list selling estimates for a '58 between £6.5k and £11.5k so the eBay bass is at the lower end of the scale.

Tbh if I came into possession of that bass then I'd be looking to milk the ridiculous vintage Fender market for as much as possible too, no point giving a couple of grand away for no reason.

Funny to see that those established resellers always use the Blue Book maximum quote for their prices...

If you understand these pricings correctly, the bass on eBay is worth around £1500 at the max, after having checked all "original parts" carefully, of course.

For those who remember it, I wrote a mémoire about vintage electric guitars and basses (free for reading, in French) and also another one about how to decipher a vintage Fender (I don't share this one anymore as there are too many informations for the fakers...).

Here is the Blue Book quote for the early Fender Precision Basses up to 1958.

Screenshot_2020-11-13-11-54-39-649_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.8252f7b1dab43b9ea122a4f2234573d7.jpg

Edited by Hellzero
  • Like 1

On 13/11/2020 at 11:07, Hellzero said:

For those who remember it, I wrote a mémoire about vintage electric guitars and basses (free for reading, in French) and also another one about how to decipher a vintage Fender (I don't share this one anymore as there are too many informations for the fakers...).

have you got a link to your Memoire? Be nice reading if Google translate is up to it! 

Edited by LukeFRC
Clarity

5 hours ago, Beedster said:

That's the reality, this came up in another thread, a 100% honest seller does not mean that s/he is sufficiently expert to know what they're selling. There are some very dishonest and sometimes simply careless dealers out there selling some very honest payers some very dodgy basses. When I was looking for my '64 - Jack, you were there the day i found it you may remember - I went into a lot of the big name shops. Even those guys would say things like "I'm not taking the neck off, it came from ....... who used to play in ........ so I know it's kosher". On this basis I was assured by a very well known dealer in SW London that a lovely Precision they had was June '64. I showed them my card and said that I would take it away that day if they're prepared to take off the neck and pickguard and prove it to me, because I didn't think it was, but of course there's enough wiggle room around various indicators for me to not be 100% sure. Neck was '67 :( 

Bottom line, as Jack said, if the only evidence is 'what the previous owner told me', you are essentially gambling. You might get lucky and buy a '67 and find it's really a '62. But by the same token, Trump might concede defeat and the UK Government might get track and trace working.....

Now you are being ridiculous....!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1