Why become a member? ×

Headless basses

ProfJames

I have an old short scale Cort headless. The stock pickups are not the best and should be changed. It uses a zero fret as opposed to a proper nut, some like these, others don't. I don't have a matching case so I use a soft gigbag, the bass can take a beating. It requires double ball end strings, a limiting factor in terms of options available. I've never changed my strings because of this.

It's very light which is a plus. An alternative bass would be a Hofner 500/1.

63 B15 and cort bass.jpeg

• Thanks 2

I've got two Seis and a Hohner B2AV, and a MihaDo Fingybass. I've had a Status and a B2 before them. They're lighter than the equivalent headed bass, balance better (well, can you imagine how a headed B2 would balance?), and don't have dead spots. The only disadvantages are you can't use headstock-grabbing hangers or clip-on tuners.

I intend to experiment with strap peg placement on the B2AV, I've seen an example where the strap peg was moved round from the back to the edge above the neck, equivalent to where it would be on a conventional instrument. Although I may not, as it's my back-up bass and I normally play sitting down anyway.

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

I've got two Seis and a Hohner B2AV, and a MihaDo Fingybass. I've had a Status and a B2 before them. They're lighter than the equivalent headed bass, balance better (well, can you imagine how a headed B2 would balance?), and don't have dead spots. The only disadvantages are you can't use headstock-grabbing hangers or clip-on tuners.

I intend to experiment with strap peg placement on the B2AV, I've seen an example where the strap peg was moved round from the back to the edge above the neck, equivalent to where it would be on a conventional instrument. Although I may not, as it's my back-up bass and I normally play sitting down anyway.

Post some photos please....

• Like 2

When Ibanez came out with the Ergonomic Headless (EHB), at first I was apprehensive, because I assumed there would be quirks with the locking mechanism for the strings.

So far I've only had one hiccup with that, when I tried to remove a string & then put it back, the thing couldn't be tuned up to pitch w/o snapping loose. Replacing with a new set solved that issue.

6488114-dfc6cdae89378a151c69000edf55a83b

flared neck-end means I can hang it:

6488109-ffcfc5ee0d3929814fd7dee79e99db17

fits in a padded bag designed for guitars:

6440664-507d0502d384f809fbd9bc919c383014

here's the locking mechanism internals, you screw that brass rod up into the channel & it holds the string:

6428095-1290931452976d00b399a85a68c7c280

This bass has ruined me to everything else, because it is The Most Comfortable instrument I've ever owned.

It's also very low-Mass, just over 3 kg..

• Like 2

Heads up ! 
There's  a Washburn status on fleabay at the  moment . 
Nothing to do with me, but while this topic is here ..

There as a kubicki ex factor on  there for a couple of days ..£2,500

Couldnt afford that . It was a black one though and as I'm not gigging , I don't feel to cut up about it .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Heads up ! 
There's  a Washburn status on fleabay at the  moment . 
Nothing to do with me, but while this topic is here ..

There as a kubicki ex factor on  there for a couple of days ..£2,500

Couldnt afford that . It was a black one though and as I'm not gigging , I don't feel to cut up about it .

I’m watching that status...doubt it’ll stay reasonable though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

Just cleaned the frets, set up, fixed a pot............looks like new.............Kramer Duke............boiled the strings as well...........

KramerDuke9.jpg

Awesome!! Love a proper Kramer, and love a headless bass. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

This Shuker is the killer headless IMO, bought off here.....................

Nah it's rubbish is that. The good news is that I'm going to the tip later this week, so if you give it to me I can dispose of it for you...😇

• Haha 4

On 16/04/2021 at 16:17, beans-on-toast said:

I have an old short scale Cort headless. The stock pickups are not the best and should be changed. It uses a zero fret as opposed to a proper nut, some like these, others don't. I don't have a matching case so I use a soft gigbag, the bass can take a beating. It requires double ball end strings, a limiting factor in terms of options available. I've never changed my strings because of this.

It's very light which is a plus. An alternative bass would be a Hofner 500/1.

63 B15 and cort bass.jpeg

Cort made the Hohner versions as well.

I've never had balance/playing issues with my B2 and I'm 6"2".

I've got a Jack V as well and the balance is different, but again no issues.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m thinking of getting a steinberger spirit to try , I’ve seen them sell for not a lot of money, are they worth getting 

Had a couple @TheGreek is bang on, standard pups are rubbish.  Hence I have an Axstar, Yam BX1, Kramer and my Shuker headless.  Worth waiting for something a little more expensive but cheaper and better in the long run.  The headless Ibanez has had several very good reviews.........

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2020 at 15:27, ProfJames said:

Looking to acquire one, pretty sold on a Kramer Duke but wanted to know what was so special about the Steinberger system adopted by several manufacturers such as Hohner, Cort, etc?  Is there anything to be aware of when buying a headless?

Yes. Headless basses are AWESOME. Though some bands may threaten to shove it where the sun don't shine. They are quite marmite. 

I had a Hohner B2A, loved the sound. Active EMG pups though I only ever played it passive. I used Pyramid double ball end strings and loved the tone. This is it being played in rehearsal 4 or 5 years back on a blues track of all things:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Fw9Rv

They also attract photographers to you. 

I had to move it on because the string spacing was too tight. Though I do regret it slightly. That was until a few weeks back when I happened upon this gem, a Washburn Status. It now has new status strings and a full service from a luthier and its AWESOME. Played it with a new 80s band project last week through a Trace Elliot and I was in bass tone heaven. I may at some point upgrade the pre amp to something more sensible but for now slapping out Club Tropicana on this is the stuff dreams are made of. 

FB_IMG_1617643775454.jpg

IMG_20210426_130346.jpg

• Like 1

Headless basses are very often more ergonomic too.

My favourite design is the Leduc. And no, my name is not Paul. I bought it second hand to the original owner named ... Paul.

130224740_LeducHMP624(1).thumb.jpg.5578378f4e3d3f282ec3a2d543073e70.jpg

That said (old) Bogart and Le Fay approach to headless basses is also interesting. My Le Fay is called Right Hand Tuning (RHT), see below and you'll understand why.

SAVE_20210222_102838.thumb.jpg.c809a3c194e0ef96b09602f6a4f9bf72.jpg

• Like 2

I study a lot of Flabba holts playing and he plays a steinberger L2 which I like the shape of, but they are quite expensive, I’ve got a big comfy chair in my bass room and I thought something smaller like that would be ideal, and I’ve never had a headless 

8 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I study a lot of Flabba holts playing and he plays a steinberger L2 which I like the shape of, but they are quite expensive, I’ve got a big comfy chair in my bass room and I thought something smaller like that would be ideal, and I’ve never had a headless 

Go try the Ibanez...........I may well get one...........

• Like 1