Why become a member? ×

I got Bergantinos! (pics inside)

wateroftyne

Hi all

It's been a crappy day, but it's been tempered somewhat by the arrival of beautiful pair of Berg HS210s...

Here's how I got to this point.

For a loooong time I was a Schroeder user (21012L, 410L). Great cabs, but... they didn't suit what I was doing, especially the fretless stuff. They didn't have the clarity the fretless needs to assert itself in a live environment.

Also, I don't really do tweeters. The tweeter is a big part of the Schroder sound, so once it was rolled off you lost a lot of definition along with the sizzle.

And... I really needed a bit of height. I occasionally have gigs when I'm virtually on top of my cab, which plays havoc with monitoring intonation on the fretless.

I placed an order for some cabs I thought would do the job, but nearly four months down the line they showed no sign of arriving. In a panic, I bought a Berg HS410 so I would have a cab to see me through some gigs.

I knew the Berg is well-respected, but as I wasn't a big fan of 410s and HiFi tone I thought it would just be passing through while I looked for something else.

Whoah.. was I wrong. The HS410 sounded amazing. It was on the heavy side, but the tone was incredible.. punchy and almost '3D' in a way I haven't heard for years. With the horn dialled off, you get clarity without the 'clack'. Perfect.

The tone knob on my P suddenly had a use again, as the cabs were detailed enough to respond to subtle changes. It was like a new world!

...the only thing it missed was the height. It was a little taller than my Schroeder but still not tall enough to assist with monitoring.

By now I was sold on the Bergs, so I did a little more research. The NV series look perfect for me, but they're extremely expensive and heavy.

The HS210s looked much more practical. Solid, with a similar tone to the HS410 when paired, with maybe a slightly fuller bottom end.

And, they're taller than the HS410. And shallower (only 12"!!). And, if that wasn't enough, you can stack them like this for more height:

Perfect!

This is how shallow they are:

They're solid, but not bad at all to lift - one in each hand is do-able for short distances.

The only thing is, I have no gigs for a while. I might have to lend them to Warwickhunt to give them a run out...

Thanks to Etienne for supplying the goods!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='435589' date='Mar 15 2009, 10:05 PM']Might want an edit there.[/quote]

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='435590' date='Mar 15 2009, 10:06 PM']ho ho

Freudian slip.

Sorry, WH...[/quote]

Slip my ar5e! :)

Well I'll forgive you that 'ahem' slip as I'm playing Monday, Tuesday and gigging Friday so a chance to try 10's after my honeymoon with the Aggie 12's might be refreshing... let's talk! :rolleyes:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='435644' date='Mar 15 2009, 11:02 PM']Slip my ar5e! :rolleyes:

Well I'll forgive you that 'ahem' slip as I'm playing Monday, Tuesday and gigging Friday so a chance to try 10's after my honeymoon with the Aggie 12's might be refreshing... let's talk! ;)[/quote]

Of course! I'd like to hear them myself! :)

Giz a nod tomorrow and we'll work something out.

By the way, they pass the famous 'Warwickhunt - Carry though a door sideways' test... :D

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='435653' date='Mar 15 2009, 11:14 PM']Of course! I'd like to hear them myself! :)

Giz a nod tomorrow and we'll work something out.

By the way, they pass the famous 'Warwickhunt - Carry though a door sideways' test... :rolleyes:[/quote]

Will defo speak Monday. Typical that you aren't gigging your backside off for once. :D

They go through a doorway when carried by the handles? I can see that they'd walk through very nicely carried upright but they look very wide!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='435662' date='Mar 15 2009, 11:27 PM']They go through a doorway when carried by the handles? I can see that they'd walk through very nicely carried upright but they look very wide![/quote]

Nah... they're narrower than the Schro... less than 23"!

How much of a chance have you had to play around with them yet? When I had a pair of Loud 2x10's and a pair of Acme 2x10's that while the mids were nicely defined, the lows were often boomy. Have you found this? I've also noticed that I got better projection when one is sat on the other - perhaps because of an acoustic coupling effect.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='435762' date='Mar 16 2009, 07:58 AM']How much of a chance have you had to play around with them yet? When I had a pair of Loud 2x10's and a pair of Acme 2x10's that while the mids were nicely defined, the lows were often boomy. Have you found this? I've also noticed that I got better projection when one is sat on the other - perhaps because of an acoustic coupling effect.[/quote]

Well... the short answer is that I haven't had a chance to play 'em in a band environment, which is the only way I can evaluate stuff like this (I'm not very perceptive otherwise!).

However...

I've used the HS410 a lot. According to Jim Bergantino, the 2x2x10's are pretty much the same, and the chat on TB seems to confirm that that is the case. The only difference being the height advantage of the stack, and a very slightly warmer lower end (not sure what the science is behind that).

From what I gather, Jim tends to tell it like it is, so I don't really doubt him. The proof is in the pudding, though!

So... what I know of the HS410, and using it in theatres and pub gigs, is that the bottom end is there, but with all the usual 'punchy, focussed' superlatives. If you crank the lows on the amp, the cab just takes it without running out of steam, and without any sign of mud.

The other thing I forgot to mention earlier about the HS410 is how amazingly even it is, from the highs to the lows. There doesn't seem to be any dips or peaks. It was quite a revelation for me...

As for the HS210 stack.. we'll see!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='435797' date='Mar 16 2009, 09:20 AM']The only difference being the height advantage of the stack, and a very slightly warmer lower end (not sure what the science is behind that).[/quote]

More internal volume in two 2x10"s than one 4x10", hence more bottom.

Alex

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='435797' date='Mar 16 2009, 09:20 AM']....As for the HS210 stack....[/quote]
I'm not sure what can top Bergantino cabs but.... if you do have a brainstorm and want to move them on... put me down for the first one. Thanks.

[quote name='chris_b' post='435896' date='Mar 16 2009, 11:12 AM']I'm not sure what can top Bergantino cabs but.... if you do have a brainstorm and want to move them on... put me down for the first one. Thanks.[/quote]
Well, as it stands at the minute, the only thing that could *possibly* sway me is a Berg NV.

It'll probably never happen, though..!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='435662' date='Mar 15 2009, 11:27 PM']They go through a doorway when carried by the handles?[/quote]
This is something that really p****s me off and why I ended up selling my EBS Neo 212 that was otherwise perfect. It was a super light cab but having to limbo through doorways was still too much.