Why become a member? ×

I got Bergantinos! (pics inside)

wateroftyne

That is indeed an amazing rig you have there Michael- glad I could fix you up with them! I'll bet the M-pulse sounds incredible through the Bergs, hopefully I'll get to hear it someday...

I've replaced these beauties with a brace of 2nd-hand Aguilar GS112s- I'm liking them so far, but then again I haven't cranked them up on a gig yet! Will put that right on Sunday though... :)

Nice looking rig WoT, I do like the look of a 2x10 with staggered drivers.

That Berg 410 you had at the bash was quite some cab though and I'd expect that will take some beating. Probably the most sensitive cab I've heard in a long time and it really cut through, even against the Aguilar monster rig right next to it.

Looking forward to hearing these two beauties in action, though for a real test, you'll need a real bassist, so dont rely too much on Warwickhunt (afterall, he does use Warwicks) :)

Edited by JPJ

[quote name='JPJ' post='438130' date='Mar 18 2009, 11:22 AM']Nice looking rig WoT, I do like the look of a 2x10 with staggered drivers.

That Berg 410 you had at the bash was quite some cab though and I'd expect that will take some beating. Probably the most sensitive cab I've heard in a long time and it really cut through, even against the Aguilar monster rig right next to it.

Looking forward to hearing these two beauties in action, though for a real test, you'll need a real bassist, so dont rely too much on Warwickhunt (afterall, he does use Warwicks) :rolleyes:[/quote]

Y'know, I took it along to WH's rehearsal last night, and it sounded absolutely flippin' lovely.

And you know what? He used my P (with flats!) for a large chunk of the evening.

Oh my... what a tone!

I need a gig. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='438143' date='Mar 18 2009, 11:36 AM']And you know what? He used my P (with flats!) for a large chunk of the evening.[/quote]

Any pictures that you could publish on here, the other place, Talkbass, Warwick Owners Forum etc :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='438143' date='Mar 18 2009, 11:36 AM']Y'know, I took it along to WH's rehearsal last night, and it sounded absolutely flippin' lovely.

And you know what? He used my P (with flats!) for a large chunk of the evening.

Oh my... what a tone!

I need a gig. :)[/quote]

I bet his fingers are killin him this morning :rolleyes:

Ah nice ..

I too had a height problem with just one Schroeder cab.
I now sandwich my 3u amp rack with the Bergs to get the top one nearer my head.
Works fine but I do strap it all together to prevent any walking about ..

Side handles are a luxury. The single top strap on the AE12, although perfectly adequate for such a light cab, are a pain when stacking things on top - other than a cab with feet

[quote name='OldGit' post='438237' date='Mar 18 2009, 01:28 PM']....Side handles are a luxury. The single top strap on the AE12, although perfectly adequate for such a light cab, are a pain when stacking things on top - other than a cab with feet...[/quote]
+1.
Jim Bergantino doesn't do handles very well at all. The 2x10 handles have been designed to be used by one person only! Try carrying a cab between 2 people and the handles cut into the back of your hand!! Not enough homework, Jim!!

[quote name='JPJ' post='438130' date='Mar 18 2009, 11:22 AM']... you'll need a real bassist, so dont rely too much on Warwickhunt (afterall, he does use Warwicks) ;)[/quote]

[quote name='JPJ' post='438152' date='Mar 18 2009, 11:47 AM']Any pictures that you could publish on here, the other place, Talkbass, Warwick Owners Forum etc ;)[/quote]

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='438154' date='Mar 18 2009, 11:50 AM']Alas not. I had my camera with me too, but I figured such events were too improbable and unthinkable to be captured on film. ;)[/quote]

[quote name='Marcus' post='438220' date='Mar 18 2009, 01:12 PM']I bet his fingers are killin him this morning :lol:[/quote]

TW*TS! :lol:

I have to confess, I did enjoy using Michael's amp and cabs with my SSI strung with Sunbeams. I even begrudgingly found the P bass with flats made a lovely sound when you did little runs... and I mean little runs cos I chuffin well could not figure out where the hell I was gonna anchor my right hand thumb! ;)

As for the Berg cabs; am I mistaken or did I read that they are supposed to be 'Hi-Fi' or 'bass-shy' because they had a nice fat full tone last night. I know that Michael is still considering NV cabs but tbh whatever he gets to replace these is going to have to go some, as I found these stonking little cabs! :)

:rolleyes: :D Oh and don't tell anyone else but I recently stuck a nearly new set of DR flats on a Warwick bass for a laugh. :o

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='438400' date='Mar 18 2009, 04:09 PM']As for the Berg cabs; am I mistaken or did I read that they are supposed to be 'Hi-Fi' or 'bass-shy' because they had a nice fat full tone last night.[/quote]

They're high sensitivity and low excursion drivers. That means they don't require much power to get loud but also means that their max clean LF SPL is relatively limited because they can't move all that much air before going past Xmax. However with four tens in unison that should be pretty high SPL - I think if you were using one cab on its own then you'd notice the limitations much more. Drivers like this do tend to sound rather nice but you have to be willing to carry enough of them!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='438485' date='Mar 18 2009, 05:24 PM']They're high sensitivity and low excursion drivers. That means they don't require much power to get loud but also means that their max clean LF SPL is relatively limited because they can't move all that much air before going past Xmax. However with four tens in unison that should be pretty high SPL - I think if you were using one cab on its own then you'd notice the limitations much more. Drivers like this do tend to sound rather nice but you have to be willing to carry enough of them!

Alex[/quote]

Glad I'm not losing it then as I did comment to Michael last night that I noticed that the driver excursion was very small for the perceived volume/output. I know that sometimes driver excursion only varies by mm but I've known some cabs where the drivers are literally bouncing and the Bergs appeared to be barely moving.

When I owned these, I found that one cab with some low-end boost could easily keep up with a loud band for onstage volume (our guitarist plays through either a cranked-up Vox combo or a Bassman 50 head with a Torres 4x10!). The sound of both cabs together is something else however, take it from me!

I depped for a mate's covers band one Saturday evening last year, playing a wedding in a large hotel function room. The band rarely use the subs with their PA, so it was up to the Bergs and my Little Mark II to carry the low-end. I got the longest lead I could find during soundcheck, and walked as far back from the stage with my Jazz Bass as I could whilst we ran through some tunes. Best FOH sound I've ever had without PA support- The tone was full yet punchy, and projected really well into the room. The onstage sound was pretty damn good too, although I'm glad I brought my earplugs... :)

You're going to love gigging these Michael!