Abominathan

FS Kramer 450b £750 ONO
£750
London

Moving abroad and reluctantly selling this Kramer 450B. In good condiction - missing surrounds on pickups (pretty common as they were so delicate.  All in good working order. Has a few very minor dings unerneath the pots, and some very minor scratches on the back. I have a basic hardcase that I will supply to whoever buys - not the original one though.  Selling for £750 ONO.

Seial number 21741 - Made in USA

Would prefer local collection (south East London - Forest Hill Area) but could courier. 

In terms of specs - probably best to look here: http://www.vintagekramer.com/alum.htm 

Some photos below and more photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/RHb5GvvD8vUXBb5k6

IMG_20200912_103831.jpg

IMG_20200912_103854.jpg

IMG_20200912_103748.jpg

• Like 7

Do you have a precise weight for this bass?

Ah well, GLWTS then.

22 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Do you have a precise weight for this bass?

Heavy!

2 minutes ago, prowla said:

Heavy!

Yup, that was my guess too. 9_9

Vintageguitar.com says "The 450B’s block-shaped markers started at the first fret. The company’s catalog noted the “tropical imported body woods,” including Shedua, Bubinga, Afrormosia, and Swetenia, and that the 450B weighed approximately 10 pounds."

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But such a great looking bass - surely worth doing free weights or something to build back strength!?

If I had the money I'd be over to check it out - GLWTS!

1 hour ago, Clarky said:

Vintageguitar.com says "The 450B’s block-shaped markers started at the first fret. The company’s catalog noted the “tropical imported body woods,” including Shedua, Bubinga, Afrormosia, and Swetenia, and that the 450B weighed approximately 10 pounds."

I think at the start of Kramer production Koa was used for the bodies (as with Travis Beans),  but they soon switched to using maple and American black walnut (the 450B being walnut; also it didn't have block shaped markers).   I have a 650B and 450B and don't find them unduly heavy.

Lovely example in the OP and a good price, GLWTS! :i-m_so_happy:

4.505 kilos is the exact weight of my 1979 450B fretless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/09/2020 at 09:33, Shaggy said:

I think at the start of Kramer production Koa was used for the bodies (as with Travis Beans),  but they soon switched to using maple and American black walnut (the 450B being walnut; also it didn't have block shaped markers).   I have a 650B and 450B and don't find them unduly heavy.

Lovely example in the OP and a good price, GLWTS! :i-m_so_happy:

Yeah. Prior to buying this a few people mentioned to me that it might be too heavy or have balance issues. I never had balance issues and I actually don't think it's that heavy at all IMO (does sound heavy). My main bass is a shergold modulator.... now that's heavy.  

Edited by Abominathan

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By cetera
      With an impending house move hopefully coming early in the New Year I, unfortunately, need to move a few bits on.
      Here is a gorgeous and highly rated late 80's Korean made thru-neck Kramer Spector NS2A in the rare ‘teal (blue/green) stain colour.
      I have majorly upgraded this bass, replacing the passive Spector pickups with a full active EMG set, the K-Haz preamp with a custom SNC US-Haz copy preamp (almost identical to the full US Hazlab), the black hardware with gold (heavy duty bridge, Schaller tuners and Schaller strap pins), US-style knobs and US-style crown fret marker decals.
      The body and thru neck are maple with a rosewood fingerboard.
      These original Kramer-Spector import basses (from many years before the Euro lines) have a fantastic reputation with this top of the range NS2A model often being rated as 90% the quality of the legendary full US NS2 models, with a thru-neck maple construction & similar neck profile, but for a fraction of the price - the main differences being the Spector branded passive pickups, a cheaper preamp, non-gold hardware, Rosewood rather than Pau Ferro board and 3A rather than 5A grade maple bodies! As I have said – I have gone some way to upgrading this instrument to more like the full-on US NS2 model. Being all maple (rather than a maple, walnut, alder sandwich), with an NS2 style neck profile and armed with a custom US-Haz copy pre this bass is a lot closer to the legendary US Kramer NS2 model than the more recent Euro LX models (which will cost you up to double my price)!
      Many well known 80's/90's rock bassists (Kip Winger, Eddie Jackson, etc) actually used these, with the EMG pickup upgrade, on recordings and 'live'!
      The SNC-Haz pre controls are vol (p), vol (j), bass (cut/boost) and treble (cut boost). The sound is typical spector - tight & growling - and sure to cut through any mix!
      See top of this page for more info on these great basses:
      https://2cw1d79cq4b2tsxk239w4ix1-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Archived_Korean.jpg
      I would rate the condition as 8.5+/10 with some light surface scratches, a dew minor surface dings on the edges & nail-wear marks above the P & J pickups. Not bad for 30+ year old bass....and it plays beautifully with a nice low action and smooth, comfortable feel! Weight is only approx 3.8kgs.
      Price-wise, I'm looking for a VERY reasonable*SOLD* by cash on collection, Paypal (you pay all fees) or direct a/c transfer. NO trades thanks. Pickup from Guildford area or I can meet within 30 miles for petrol money. I will also courier at buyers cost (approx. £50)
      Please see my feedback thread (ignore the broken link in my signature below – please do a search instead!) for assurance of a clean and honest transaction.

• By Hellzero
      Due to the Covid-19 situation and severe back problems (66% officially disabled because of it) plus right shoulder injury (non-operable capsulitis from which, after more than 3 years, I will never fully recover), I'm selling all my basses over 4 kilos and also the ones I'm not really using. I've also considerably lowered the price for a quick sale.

KRAMER The Duke Deluxe Trans Red, 1981, no Hondo Alien !!!

NO TRADES !
      NON NEGOTIABLE PRICE !

Asking price including shipping fully insured with tracking number to your place in these European countries (ask for other countries) : Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (excluding French overseas departments and territories), Germany, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom : £399 GBP !!!

In fully working condition, fully original (except for the added strap button for better balance, one tuner and the two knobs) and in very good overall condition.

Here are the specifications :
      Body : flamed maple (very hard to photograph)
      Neck : aluminium with flamed maple inserts and perfect neck joint
      Fingerboard : ebonol (bakelite, in fact) with aluminium side and front dots
      Frets : 24 (slightly marked)
      Headstock : none as it's a headless
      Pickup : 1 original DiMarzio Twin Jazz
      Controls : volume, tone, 3 positions switch for parallel / split / series
      Tuners : 3 unbranded + 1 Gotoh
      Bridge : original Schaller 3D-4
      Strings spacing at bridge : 18.5 mm
      Nut : none with zero fret
      Strings spacing at nut : 11.5 mm
      Knobs : 2 non original metal dome
      Scale : 30.5 inches
      Hardware colour : chrome and aluminium
      Truss rod : none and perfect very slight relief whatever strings gauge you may put
      Finish : high gloss trans red
      Land of craftsmanship : USA
      Serial number : B1577
      Year : 1981
      Weight : 3.665 kilos
      Action : from 1.5 mm under the G string to 2 mm under the E string at 12th fret (can go lower, but was perfect for me)

Will come with the original Kramer hard case in bad condition and a RockBag.

Non-smoking environment as usual.

The bass has been fully set up professionally. It has been fitted with a brand new set of D'Addario Nickel Round Wound EXL220 strings (40 - 60 - 75 - 95).

This bass, despite its age, is still very modern sounding. There is no skid pad on this one and it seems that there's never been one.

Link to the Kramer vintage aluminium page : http://www.vintagekramer.com/alum.htm

What you see is what you get !

Look at the photos taken under different angles to see the fantastic condition for an almost 40 years old bass (only very small blemishes at the rear of the neck and some dings and scratches, plus a relocated at the front strap button leaving a small hole) ! All the photos are here : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ODMfzU3efWttew2JpAbaNZv2hTHZMom1?usp=sharing

Don't hesitate to ask for more.

• By cetera
      A big potential purchase has come up and sadly I need to move on a couple of basses to help pay for it
      So, as a result, here is my lovely Hartke XK4 active bass. I always wanted one of these as I had played one in a shop approx 15 years ago and had been blown away by the massive (almost Status/Modulus graphite-sounding) active tone, striking black/chrome and brushed aluminium looks... and easily playable neck that felt like it was short-medium scale! It didn't disappoint and I've hugely enjoyed owning and playing it. Indeed, soundwise, it's been a fave of many musicians I've ever played with as it cuts through with authority and ease.
      Here's the original sales blurb from Hartke:
      Designed to Larry Hartke's specifications and featuring high quality components throughout, the XK-4 represents a more accessibly priced option for professional bassists. This precision instrument features a Poplar body coupled to a Vaccaro double T-Bar aluminum component neck system with a rock maple neck shell that provides a familiar feel and easy playability. This unique neck system consists of a lightweight aluminum aircraft extrusion welded to an aluminum triple-plated chrome headstock. It not only ensures maximum resistance to atmospheric conditions and string tension, it provides exceptionally long sustain and tuning stability over the long run. A Rosewood fretboard with ultra fat action neck finish and Nickel-Silver frets further enhance playability while the XK-4's Zero-fret design provides flawless open string response.To best capture its extraordinary sustain, tone and presence, the XK-4 is equipped with high performance passive pickups and active electronics. Other features include dual volume controls; concentric bass/treble tone controls; a chrome bridge and tuning machines and a brushed aluminum finish pickguard. Like the XL-4, there is a lifetime guarantee on the neck assembly.
      Poplar body
      34" scale length
      Vaccaro double T-Bar aluminium neck
      Chrome-plated headstock
      Rock maple neck shell
      Rosewood fretboard
      Nickel silver frets
      Zero fret for flawless open string response
      P-J passive pickups with active electronics
      Dual volume controls
      Concentric Active Bass/Treble controls
      Heavy Duty 'Hartke branded' Chrome bridge
      Gotoh Chrome tuners
      Easy access 9-volt battery compartment
      Brushed aluminium finish pickguard
      Sadly, less than 1000 of these were ever made when Vaccaro suddenly went out of business and production ceased in around 2002. Condition is excellent (especially for a 18 year old bass!) with just a couple of very light surface dings on the body edge. More pics available on request.
      These are high quality instruments and were priced at around $1000 / £800 new when they came out. I therefore feel I'm offering a bargain at just £SOLD!
      Happy to courier at your cost (prob around £50 for 24hr UPS via Interparcel).
      Payment by cash on collection (from Guildford/Woking area), Paypal (you pay all fees) or direct bank transfer.
      Please see my extensive positive feedback thread for assurance of a clean, honest transaction.

• By Abominathan
      Moving abroad and reluctantly selling this Kramer 450B fretless bass. In good condiction - knobs are not original but a very tasteful replacement. There is actually a spare orginal pot in case which I held onto. All in good working order. Has a few very minor dings unerneath the pots, which are hardly noticable. Small crack on the neck pickup surround - these are notoriously fragile (but has held up for years). I have the original hardcase, which is also in remarkably good condition.  SOLD.
      Seial number 22025 - Made in USA
      Would prefer local collection (south East London - Forest Hill Area) but could courier. 
      In terms of specs - probably best to look here: http://www.vintagekramer.com/alum.htm 
      Some photos below and more photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/uvbef4nFVihXv4Lo8