Jump to content

Valve Amp - who’s still using them?


SamPlaysBass

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, SamPlaysBass said:

Valve amp crew - have you seen this? Could be useful for a lot of you, especially with a few new acquisitions floating around.

 

I've a guitarist friend who swears by those - uses them at home to record his own valve amps, and gets some superb recorded tones. In my typically more cheapskate fashion, I have been eyeing up Thomann's Harley Benton knock-off...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

I've a guitarist friend who swears by those - uses them at home to record his own valve amps, and gets some superb recorded tones. In my typically more cheapskate fashion, I have been eyeing up Thomann's Harley Benton knock-off...

What's HB unit called buddy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/10/2020 at 16:31, SamPlaysBass said:

Valve amp crew - have you seen this? Could be useful for a lot of you, especially with a few new acquisitions floating around.

  

 

Whats the power rating on that Ampeg? I had serious GAS for this little number until I realised it only went to 100w which whilst I understand I could use it with a 200w amp at low volume, kinda defeats the point and throws risk to my head. Looks ace though and my guitarist has the previous model which sounds great as well 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

Whats the power rating on that Ampeg? I had serious GAS for this little number until I realised it only went to 100w which whilst I understand I could use it with a 200w amp at low volume, kinda defeats the point and throws risk to my head. Looks ace though and my guitarist has the previous model which sounds great as well 

If that’s the V4B it’s only 100W 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Two Notes Torpedo Captor X does look like a great and versatile device, but the 100W input limit does make it more guitar amp focused rather than bass amp. One of the key things is to naturally push and overdrive the amp and then attenuate it.

My Handbox is only 120W, so probably OK, but I still wouldn't risk damaging either device. If they up that limit then I'm in.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

Whats the power rating on that Ampeg? I had serious GAS for this little number until I realised it only went to 100w which whilst I understand I could use it with a 200w amp at low volume, kinda defeats the point and throws risk to my head. Looks ace though and my guitarist has the previous model which sounds great as well 

"only" 100W is not to be sneezed at for a valve head, especially through an efficient cabinet.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i did have a search about for something that would let me max my SVT to get a bit of grind going but i couldn't find anything, so i am now considering a vb4 instead and slightly worried if it would be loud enough especially through a Barefaced two10. i can see me getting one and then another two10 cab. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, simon88wilson said:

i did have a search about for something that would let me max my SVT to get a bit of grind going but i couldn't find anything, so i am now considering a vb4 instead and slightly worried if it would be loud enough especially through a Barefaced two10. i can see me getting one and then another two10 cab. 

It wont be super loud through a single Two10 but through a 4X10 it'll easily be loud enough. The handbox 100 WB (actually 120W) is a good option .       

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, simon88wilson said:

i did have a search about for something that would let me max my SVT to get a bit of grind going but i couldn't find anything, so i am now considering a vb4 instead and slightly worried if it would be loud enough especially through a Barefaced two10. i can see me getting one and then another two10 cab. 

I have a 74 V4 which I have gigged with the original 412 cab without PA support in medium sized venues and been plenty loud enough.

When you factor in two guitarists using valve combo's, keys and drums that's pretty good. A modern super efficient 212 or 410 would be even better I would think.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, simon88wilson said:

i did have a search about for something that would let me max my SVT to get a bit of grind going but i couldn't find anything, so i am now considering a vb4 instead and slightly worried if it would be loud enough especially through a Barefaced two10. i can see me getting one and then another two10 cab. 

Radial JDX Reactor goes to 300W. That’s the highest one I know of. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/09/2020 at 10:30, Reggaebass said:

I’ve been watching the videos on the Ampeg PF50 , it looks like a nice little amp for home practice, don’t think it has a fan so nice and quiet, and from what I can hear it seems to do the lows quite well.

It's a great little amp. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m looking for one at the moment but there’s not many around 

There’s a good few cool vintage 100watters going for the same price as a PF50t. I thought that carlsbro looked good and very tidily rewired. There’s a really cool 1976 fender Bassman head for sale here on bass chat also ...worth considering both . I can send you the links for both ?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...