Why become a member? ×

Spector or Warwick?

Silky999

So after much lurching from Spector to Warwick and vice versa, I decided to get....... a passive Warwick Streamer Standard 4 made in 2002 with the MEC pickup. Picking it up at next weekend and very excited!
i went Warwick as the pickup configuration is nothing like I have, it’s passive which I don’t have in the collection and I like idea of keeping older guitars going(Like my 1989 SR). Also it’s a German made for not a lot of money. 

Thanks for all the advice and opinions. I really appreciated it.

• Like 1

I have a Warwick Corvette STD and a $$ (German made). I have also had a Spector Euro 4 LX with a Tone Pump. I prefer the body and neck of the Spector, but couldn’t get on with the sound. Replaced the TonePump, with another preamp, an EMG something or another. Ended up selling it. If I could get the Spector to sound more like the growl of the Warwick, that would be my choice. 

Edited by bjelkeman

The only concern I have is the reported low output of the Streamer STD. it’s seems I have 2 potential solutions; replace the preamp with something like an EMG BTC or get a preamp pedal. Which option would sound better?

Edited by Silky999

1 minute ago, Silky999 said:

The only concern I have is the reported low output of the Streamer STD. it’s seems I have 2 potential solutions; replace the preamp with something like an EMG BTC or get a preamp pedal. Which option would sound better?

If it's the same MEC pickup that I have in the Rockbass Streamer (which I believe it is) it's a common thing that's been discussed. They are super quiet pickups. IIRC the stock pots in the basses have too high a resistance for the type of pickup.

12 minutes ago, Silky999 said:

I had a Warwick Streamer STD and replaced the pickup with a Bartolini and it very much improved the output and tone. The STD was a passive bass, but it's an upgrade you might want to consider.

On 21/08/2020 at 10:27, Defo said:

Remember that if you get a Spector it will always sound like.... a Spector.

It's a fantastic tone but you'll find it difficult to pull different sounds from it.

Strange. I've never struggled for different tones. I've used mine for everything from funk to rock to disco to reggae .. and it's delivered every time.

• Like 5

I've not played a Spector (one day, one day...) but recently bought a Warwick Rockbass Streamer NT - the neck-through. For the money it's a stunning bit of kit, the equal of any other bass I've had in this price bracket and I'd happily put it up against basses in the £1,000 to £1,200 bracket that I've played. It's active PJ and sounds pretty good. Fit and finish is excellent - frets are all good, finish is smooth and very nice. Nothing wrong with it :)

I also have a shortscale Corvette Rockbass and that is also excellent, but being secondhand does have a few dings, but hardware-wise it's very good. Finally, also just got a Korean Pro Series Thumb bass and that is just that bit better than the Rockbasses, but they're getting harder to find. Same hardware as the German Wicks but different woods - ovangkol body and maple neck. Still sounds like a Thumb though.

Edited by anzoid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, anzoid said:

Finally, also just got a Korean Pro Series Thumb bass and that is just that bit better than the Rockbasses, but they're getting harder to find. Same hardware as the German Wicks but different woods - ovangkol body and maple neck. Still sounds like a Thumb though.

I have a Korean Pro Series Streamer LX4 and I think it plays as well as, and sounds as good as my German Streamer LX4.

Frank.

• 1 month later...