Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I reckon £25,000

I reckon it’d be resold for £25-30k but not so sure it’d be sold at auction for that much considering the added fees. I reckon the upper side of the estimate is probably in the right ball park, so under £20k.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

I reckon it’d be resold for £25-30k but not so sure it’d be sold at auction for that much considering the added fees. I reckon the upper side of the estimate is probably in the right ball park, so under £20k.

Star connection does crazy things. I assume there’s an in-person component to this auction as well?

I once saw a men dressed head to toe as a cowboy punch the air after securing a BB King signed 335 for £5000 (before fees).

Made the auction memorable!

Just now, SurroundedByManatees said:

Looks like a late 60s/early 70s indeed.

Seems like the guy is confusing a random factory code with a serial number.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, I know they did code lots but didn’t think they dated them there, the earlier bodies were dated in the pickup cavity 

That's what I think too. Dating in the pickup cavity with pencil. Definitely no stamps. And like you said it probably shouldn't have a paint stick mark. Burst is also not correct. 

The other parts, if original; I think black bottom pickups? And a pickguard with wider bevel. Bridge is also consistent with late '60s/early '70s.

I'm tempted to think that he doesn't have a partsbass, but that it's all original (based on the available pics).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, peteb said:

The thing that confuses me is that he says that maple necks weren't a thing until the 60s, but I thought that 57 P basses came with a maple fingerboard. 

Surely a mistype, it was the ‘50s (original & ’57 P Basses, Telecaster and Strat all had all maple necks).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Out of interest what do you make of this, https://reverb.com/uk/item/78434635-fender-precision-bass-1959-body-sunburst

I’m thinking it’s maybe not a 59 body, from what I understand they didn’t have a paint stick mark or a date in the neck pocket?, looks more late 60s-early 70s 

I think the neck does belong to that body. Everything points towards an abused early to mid 70's bass. The pickguard white layers also look too white for 59. It'd be strange for the body wood to be parted from all of its original components. As he says the pups are dated 74, so I'd put the bass at 74 earliest. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

I think the neck does belong to that body. Everything points towards an abused early to mid 70's bass. The pickguard white layers also look too white for 59. It'd be strange for the body wood to be parted from all of its original components. As he says the pups are dated 74, so I'd put the bass at 74 earliest. 

Totally agree and worth less than 3K

9 hours ago, nilorius said:

It looks in keeping with its age, although never seen one with flame on the top before. I would say any Fender 76-79 should be tried before bought. There seemed to be a wide tolerance to quality and weight from that era, from my experience and what others have said. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nilorius said:

Looks in very good condition for the year , as above some of the mid to late 70s ones can be pretty heavy so you might ask about the weight, I’d try to get the price down too if you’re thinking of getting it, good luck 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...