Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

12 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I made enquires regarding this Jazz on ebay today. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126177916635

I asked if he had any more pictures, particularly of the pots and pickups, and also asked what it weighed.

What I got back was "Hi Rob, sorry this is all the photos I have and will be taking. Thanks anyway." 

I've asked again about the weight, no reply.

Fair enough, I won't buy your bass then!

Rob

How mad is that, anything I sell from the website or on here I’m always happy to take as many pics as needed and anyone who wants to take anything to bits is more than welcome, as long as they put it back together. This is especially important on vintage instruments that cost a packet, you don’t want to get that wrong.

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yeh, that would be a no for me even on a £200 bass - if you can't take any more photos I am assuming you don't have the thing you are selling.

I get what you mean, no more pics, does he actually have it there 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I made enquires regarding this Jazz on ebay today. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126177916635

I asked if he had any more pictures, particularly of the pots and pickups, and also asked what it weighed.

What I got back was "Hi Rob, sorry this is all the photos I have and will be taking. Thanks anyway." 

Rob

Don’t know why some people do that, they obviously can’t be bothered to sell it, I’ve just had a similar experience with someone on reverb, they lost a sale because they wouldn’t send me pictures of the neck stamp 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Rob

Also the serial number doesn't pop up in Fender database. However I have had issues with that system simply not working, so who knows...

Lots of red flags here.

Rob

6 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Don’t know why some people do that, they obviously can’t be bothered to sell it, I’ve just had a similar experience with someone on reverb, they lost a sale because they wouldn’t send me pictures of the neck stamp 🤷‍♂️ 

You get time wasters on anything sold online and I think most genuine buyers would go and inspect it in person. By not making the effort I think it weeds out those with no intention to buy. Clearly not desperate to sell

3 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

Clearly not desperate to sell

Maybe his wife has told him to get rid of it but he wants to keep it, hence the high price and unhelpful response?

“Sorry dear, I’ve tried but it’s just not selling” 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

most genuine buyers would go and inspect it in person. By not making the effort I think it weeds out those with no intention to buy.

I had every intention to buy it but it would have been a long journey, so sending a few pictures would have told me weather it was worth doing, I’m not going to make a 6 hour drive to find out there’s no neck stamp , anyone selling a vintage instrument should have the standard pictures of parts and serial numbers everyone would ask to see , it did eventually sell but not to me 🙂

• Like 2

About 8 years ago I bought this 1965 Precision from Kings Rd Vintage Guitars.

The neck plate number on Guitar dater says 1956, nothing found on the Fender site. It was advertised as being the house bass at Shangri-la Recording Studios and came in a Vintage case with the 'Mountain Dew Boys' stenciling on it.

Somewhat battered and bruised but plays and sounds really good. Weird regarding the plate number though.

20231110_071646.jpg

20231110_070923.jpg

20231110_070745.jpg

20231110_071022.jpg

20210317_231121.jpg

20210327_200153.jpg

20160821_101007.jpg

20160821_101026.jpg

20210313_145131.jpg

20231110_053921.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JazzyJ said:

About 8 years ago I bought this 1965 Precision from Kings Rd Vintage Guitars.

The neck plate number on Guitar dater says 1956, nothing found on the Fender site. It was advertised as being the house bass at Shangri-la Recording Studios and came in a Vintage case with the 'Mountain Dew Boys' stenciling on it.

Somewhat battered and bruised but plays and sounds really good. Weird regarding the plate number though.

20231110_071646.jpg

20231110_070923.jpg

20231110_070745.jpg

20231110_071022.jpg

20210317_231121.jpg

20210327_200153.jpg

20160821_101007.jpg

20160821_101026.jpg

20210313_145131.jpg

20231110_053921.jpg

Wow jazzy that’s beautiful, strange about the number dating 

3 hours ago, GuyR said:

Lovely looking bass, just had the neck plate switched at some point in the mists of time. Easy enough to find a l series if it bothered you. It wouldn’t bother me.

I agree with GuyR.  Lovely looking bass and the S/N adds to the mystique and certainly makes it recognizable.  There is no doubt it is the real deal.  Enjoy!

On 09/11/2023 at 23:25, OliverBlackman said:

You get time wasters on anything sold online and I think most genuine buyers would go and inspect it in person. By not making the effort I think it weeds out those with no intention to buy. Clearly not desperate to sell

Agree , there's a point you make some effort for an interested buyer . I'd be reluctant to pull a vintage bass apart for a maybe buyer . They guy sounds like he knows enough to value the bass but not keen on taking it apart  . Many aren't . He's encouraged a physical try out so sounds genuine.  

10 hours ago, jazzmanb said:

Agree , there's a point you make some effort for an interested buyer . I'd be reluctant to pull a vintage bass apart for a maybe buyer . They guy sounds like he knows enough to value the bass but not keen on taking it apart  . Many aren't . He's encouraged a physical try out so sounds genuine.  

Wouldn’t you already have the necessary pictures if you were intending to sell it for any prospective buyers 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Wouldn’t you already have the necessary pictures if you were intending to sell it for any prospective buyers 

Depends on what the buyer qualifies as necessary. Some just want a nice playing and sounding instrument rather than an investment, or aren’t clued up on what to look for themselves.

1 hour ago, OliverBlackman said:

Some just want a nice playing and sounding instrument rather than an investment 

If it was a £3 or £4k instrument then I would say that you are probably right - that's certainly how I would approach buying such a bass. However, for £15k I would suggest that you have to look at it primarily as an investment and I would be looking at all the photos and provenance I could reasonably ask for to justify such a high price tag. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

It gets a wow from me.

Lovely thing. Price is reassuringly impossible. Rob has marked himself safe from purchasing a '60 Jazz.

Rob

I was just about to pull the trigger on this but the fact the strings were an 'unknown brand' stopped me. Oh well, I'll keep looking 😊

• Haha 4