Why become a member? ×

On 16/06/2020 at 11:29, meterman said:

I absolutely love short scale basses but I often used to struggle with getting them to record well, it would always be the E string.

Over the years I've had:

early 1970s Shaftesbury Tele bass copy (beautiful to play, horrible to record with)
1978 cream Fender Musicmaster (recorded okay, but was the heaviest bass I've ever owned)
1978 black Fender Mustang (looked cool but was 'meh' all over)
2003 fiesta red MIJ Fender Mustang reissue (sold one Xmas when I was skint)
1997 surf green Squier Vista Musicmaster (beautiful to look at, but the frets started lifting so I moved it on)
1997 black Squier Vista Musicmaster (was okay but sold it to part finance another Mustang)
2008 oly white MIJ Fender Mustang (was nice but I swapped it for a 1966 Gibson ES-125T) 
2012 silver sparkle Mikey Way sig Squier Mustang (kept the neck for a partscaster Mustang)
2000's black Squier Mustang (kept the body for a partscaster Mustang)

I've still got a little Tanglewood EB-18 kid's bass I found in a charity shop as well. Not sure what the scale length is but I'm guessing 25" or something as it's tiny, really feels like a toy! It's got La Bella strings on it now and was my only bass for a couple of years. Fun to play but really hit or miss to record with. 

I wouldn't rule out another Mustang. If I had the funds I'd buy a JMJ Mustang reissue today. Like, right now. Maybe I'll find one someday when I've got disposable £'s. Anyhow, have a couple of gratuitous pics:

IMG_0902.thumb.jpeg.4e14e560ac7f11e2557e7862305ead91.jpeg2069157463_unnamed2.jpg.83658b5ea49c12f7dc503b6b8b73c5c1.jpg

I owned a black Musicmaster at one point and I concur that they weigh a tonne, its the heaviest bass I ever owned, that thing must have weighed 14 pounds, it also sounded like mud regardless of what strings I used and the tone control was close to useless.

Regarding the E string I find a lighter gauge string helps, lighter will give more clarity and heavier will give more thud/thump.

• Like 2

On 22/03/2024 at 13:53, Obrienp said:

What’s a 4D bridge when it’s at home? Four dimensional? Sounds a bit sci-fi but I’m struggling to think what the fourth dimension could be.

The fourth dimension is indeed time. It's best left set to the present moment though, I accidentally gave mine a tweak and I'm not going to see it again until next June.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Well I think I’m jumping back on the long (normal?) scale train after deciding I just feel so at home on a Rickenbacker.

Will likely be listing my Pawn Shop Mustang in the near future, undecided on my Serek, Hofner will stay because nothing does the hofner vibe like a hofner.

Then that would take me down to 3 basses…….. .finally

Then I’ll have a bunch of high end guitar cases to sell 😅

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tayste_2000 said:

Well I think I’m jumping back on the long (normal?) scale train after deciding I just feel so at home on a Rickenbacker.

Will likely be listing my Pawn Shop Mustang in the near future, undecided on my Serek, Hofner will stay because nothing does the hofner vibe like a hofner.

(Selfishly) excited to see that pawnshop mustang go up for sale 😬

1 hour ago, tayste_2000 said:

Also excited to see the Pawn Shop but it would mean pushing on one of my Mustangs, likely the Mikey Way sig which I know I'd regret :(

There is something about the Ric necks once you are accustomed to them , it’s probably the slight taper. I find whenever I pick up a Ric there’s that revelation. They really do feel like home. And they will be among the last things I ever sell.

But I’m sticking with the shortscales. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, msb said:

There is something about the Ric necks once you are accustomed to them , it’s probably the slight taper. I find whenever I pick up a Ric there’s that revelation. They really do feel like home. And they will be among the last things I ever sell.

But I’m sticking with the shortscales. 

There is a good chance that the Serek will stay, I just want to travel with the Ric for a bit so it doesn’t feel like such a relief to come back home 😅and what you’ve said about feeling like home is exactly how it’s been the past 2 years.

Also with some really dead flats and the mute up high, nothing else sounds like it.

I bought a 1973 4000 to mimic my 2000’s 4003. Figured it was simpler, less to go wrong and would still be worth what I paid unless an airline snap the neck off it 😂

For anyone interested in the Pawn Shop, I’m out of the UK till June but could come through in April or May to facilitate a sale. 

Edited by tayste_2000

I have a 4000 too , a burgundyglo set neck. And a 4001 , they have very similar necks. At first I thought I’d miss the neck pickup but I quickly came to appreciate the 4000 just as it is. I was an old Pbass guy and was accustomed to changing my hand position when I wanted tonal changes , rather than reaching for a knob. 

The 4000 is a beauty.

Some might call Rickies medium scale at 33”. Personally I think that is a push. Aren’t they incredibly heavy? 

I don’t think I am ever going to find out now, as they are just too expensive for me to take a punt on. However, over on Talk Bass quite a few people have said the Nordstrand Acinonyx channels the Rickenbacker vibe. I wouldn’t know, not ever having had a Rickenbacker but I do enjoy the Acinonyx. 

27 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

Some might call Rickies medium scale at 33”. Personally I think that is a push. Aren’t they incredibly heavy? 

I don’t think I am ever going to find out now, as they are just too expensive for me to take a punt on. However, over on Talk Bass quite a few people have said the Nordstrand Acinonyx channels the Rickenbacker vibe. I wouldn’t know, not ever having had a Rickenbacker but I do enjoy the Acinonyx. 

To be honest when I had mine it felt more long scale than short, I didn't feel the need to make an adjustment like I do when moving between my 34" and 30".

I've not really found any other bass channel the Rick vibe, they are a singular beast, I'd suggest looking at one of the good Japanese fakers if money is an issue. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, martthebass said:

To be honest when I had mine it felt more long scale than short, I didn't feel the need to make an adjustment like I do when moving between my 34" and 30".

I've not really found any other bass channel the Rick vibe, they are a singular beast, I'd suggest looking at one of the good Japanese fakers if money is an issue. 

Retrovibe have some vaguely Rick-ish shorty basses in stock.  I got in touch with David and he is currently knocking me up a slightly more Rick-ish version.  Short scale.  Although we recently went off plan for a more blingy black stain, no pickguard, gold hardware look.  Not entirely sure what it will end up like but it should be fun.  :D  This was the last mock up but things seem to be fluid :D

image0.jpg.5aafad835c7eb736d8fc5bbd3d5da67f.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paul S said:

Retrovibe have some vaguely Rick-ish shorty basses in stock.  I got in touch with David and he is currently knocking me up a slightly more Rick-ish version.  Short scale.  Although we recently went off plan for a more blingy black stain, no pickguard, gold hardware look.  Not entirely sure what it will end up like but it should be fun.  :D  This was the last mock up but things seem to be fluid :D

That looks nice, sort of a 4004 vibe, are the pups Humbuckers like the 4004L/4004Cii?  I briefly had a 4004Cii and wasn't that impressed with the sound to be honest - it didn't have the bite of a 4003.  I'm told it improves if the pots are changed though (resistance), the stock pots in the 4004 are just wrong....

1 hour ago, Obrienp said:

Thing is it’s 33 1/3 so it’s not even an inch off standard. But what is different is how the neck connects to the body and where this put the upper horn.

I’m fine and comfortable switching basses, there was a time when I was gigging in 1 band one night with a 36inch scale overwater, next the ric and then another band on an old 30inch hofner solid body.

For me my 4003 has massive sentimental value (Dad bought it for me when I was 15) so eventually it became my main bass, then what I’ve found is my recent gas streak is because I’ve not been playing it, but I can’t drag it all over the world. So I tried loads of alternatives but I’m just bouncing from bass to bass, then every time I play the Ric I feel at home and at peace.

The Acinonyx is nice but I don’t like more unfinished satin necks on any bass., I don’t think to much of my love of the ric as a love of the sound, more the feel, the mute 

44 minutes ago, Paul S said:

It was suggested to me to get a shortscale ric, but it wouldn’t feel the same and soundwise its kinda what Serek are going for. But that does look lovely.

We’ll see, few months with a bigger bass might be heaven or really frustrating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

That is very cool!

• Like 2

On 27/03/2024 at 13:14, Obrienp said:

Look out for some of the Japanese 70s Japanese replica’s Ibanez, Greco etc. 

Although the price of these has jumped in recent years you should be able to find a decent one for well under half the price of a Ric. 

I was never a fan of Rics, then randomly came across an Ibanez, it was a bit battered and the chrome has bubbles and peeled in a few places, a bit of a fixer upper but it appealed to me and now it’s one of my keeper basses ( I kid myself that’s a real thing 😄)

Has a sound all of its own. 

• Like 1

Just picked up this absolute beauty. 2004/5 CIJ Mustang (thanks @wayne58) My first ever Japanese Fender bass, heard so much about them. The colour is lovely, I’ve always thought Fiesta Red looked quite pink and was never that keen on it. Does this colour fade over time or something? It looks more orange than red to me, which is great as I’ve always had a thing for orange basses after lusting after the early 2000s Sunset Orange Transparent P bass for a long time. 

I’m having another go at short scale more out of necessity than anything. Struggling with the weight and finger stretches of a P bass. I love a Precision but it seems to take more effort to play as time goes on, and it really takes its toll on my back, shoulders & neck. This weighs in at a more manageable 3.5Kg / 7.8lbs. 

I hope I can adjust to playing SS, I’m not sure I gave the only previous Mustang I’ve had (Squier Vintage Modified) enough time in all fairness. Anyway, I’ve raised the action a little (it was very low) and it’s a huge amount of fun to play sat down / lying down, I’m not that used to a Jazz width nut but I really like it. The neck is fantastic and so easy to play. I’ve never liked glossy finish necks much, but this is so fast! May take some adjustment to playing standing but the bass just feels so effortless, it’s almost like cheating!

It has what I believe to be LaBella 760F-MUS flats on it. So smooth, but flats aren’t really my thing, even if people rave about these strings. I know this is kind of a Mustang thing, but I’m not sure I can deal with the clacky, dull thud thing. I suspect I’ll try D’Addario EXL170M regular light rounds (45-100), EXL160M medium rounds (50-105) or ECB81M Chromes (45-100) if I want to try brighter flats. I’d like a little more tension, I won’t be needing to bend strings, slap or anything like that. Just pick & fingers. Open to any suggestions! 

IMG_5809.thumb.jpeg.24bd8518d53241f8bd4f872a86140b91.jpeg

Edited by dmc79
  • Like 5

It's a good one, the Japan Mustang neck profile is the best IMO.

I'm sorry to see it go but I recently got a Wilcock and something had to give.

Glad you're liking it Dave.

• Like 2

On 28/03/2024 at 16:29, msb said:

Rics are mid weights , not featherweights , but far from the weight of the heavy mid to late 70’s Fenders. 

My 2022 Walnut 4003 weighs 3.8kg. I’d have thought that’s on the lightish side for an (almost) long scale bass.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Simon C said:

My 2022 Walnut 4003 weighs 3.8kg. I’d have thought that’s on the lightish side for an (almost) long scale bass.

Interesting. Not bad for fixed neck as well. I wonder if they vary but a friend said his was over 4.5kg and he had heard of heavier.