Why become a member? ×

20 hours ago, msb said:

I haven’t seen too much that’s interesting from the various NAMM reports , but the ruby Dano Longhorn with the f hole and binding looks good. I’ll be watching for availability and price.

We were watching an old Who concert on Sky Arts a few days back with The Ox plucking the living daylights out of a poor little Longhorn - an image full of contradictions, it has to be said! Mind you, he must certainly have saved himself much time and effort when it came to smashing his gear up at the end of the gig.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

We were watching an old Who concert on Sky Arts a few days back with The Ox plucking the living daylights out of a poor little Longhorn - an image full of contradictions, it has to be said! Mind you, he must certainly have saved himself much time and effort when it came to smashing his gear up at the end of the gig.

Despite the light weight Danos are as tough as nails. They are not delicate at all. And not that easy to smash.

• Like 1

I have just acquired a short scale 'Ashdown Capri' in pink....not something I thought I would ever do (the pink I mean), but I 'ummed' and 'arred' over a Squier Rascal and then missed it.  The Capri has a great neck, no fret-sprout, good soldering, full sized pots....and a lousy pickup 😕

Anyhoo....the E string is much quieter than the AD & G.  I reckon it is a degaussed magnet issue.  I'm so tired of it I'm actually going to replace the pup with a toaster-style 12K 'bucker from Dave Konig at Retrovibe (lovely bloke, I have one of his 'Stinger' pre-amps; an homage to the pre EB Music Man pre-amp and it's a stellar performer in my GB44).

SO, just a heads up and to ask if anyone else has had this issue ?  I'm currently running pyramid-648's on it, but that low-volume E is a real PITA.  (yes I have tried raising the pickup under the E...it helped a little, but not sufficiently to bring it into line with the other 3)

1_58d7ba975f.jpg

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, 7tenths said:

I have just acquired a short scale 'Ashdown Capri' in pink....not something I thought I would ever do (the pink I mean), but I 'ummed' and 'arred' over a Squier Rascal and then missed it.  The Capri has a great neck, no fret-sprout, good soldering, full sized pots....and a lousy pickup 😕

Anyhoo....the E string is much quieter than the AD & G.  I reckon it is a degaussed magnet issue.  I'm so tired of it I'm actually going to replace the pup with a toaster-style 12K 'bucker from Dave Konig at Retrovibe (lovely bloke, I have one of his 'Stinger' pre-amps; an homage to the pre EB Music Man pre-amp and it's a stellar performer in my GB44).

SO, just a heads up and to ask if anyone else has had this issue ?  I'm currently running pyramid-648's on it, but that low-volume E is a real PITA.  (yes I have tried raising the pickup under the E...it helped a little, but not sufficiently to bring it into line with the other 3)

1_58d7ba975f.jpg

Presumably the same pickup. I stopped being as interested in them at that point.

Edited by mr4stringz

4 hours ago, 7tenths said:

1_58d7ba975f.jpg

From the photo,  the  strings don't seem remotely aligned with the pole pieces. Maybe a tiny neo magnetic on just the e pole would help? A similar sized pickup with blade/ rail configuration might just pick the outer strings better?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 7tenths said:

1_58d7ba975f.jpg

that’s definitely a pickup issue. That E string was very weak in the demo vid.

also, what’s the nut width and the string spacing at the bridge?

Cheers for the input 'all'....the string spacing is 20mm at the bridge and the nut is 38mm.

I've also only just notice that the generic, Ashdown picture doesn't even have the same pickup showing.  The case on the actual pickup is polished chromed mild steel, with no exposed pole pieces.

I went with the Retrovibe replacement as it's almost a shoe-in and  also happens to be a blade type alnico...which 'should' negate the issue with the E volume.

I'm also wishing I had just gone and ordered a 30" scale bass from Dave Konig....as he has a few on his website and I was seriously impressed with his 'Stinger' pre-amp....hey ho.

• Like 1

I forgot to add.....anyone 'still' considering this bass also needs to be made aware of the nigh on base-jumping realms of neck dive....gravity loves that headstock with those generic high-mass tuners.  I have it on a sheepskin-backed suede strap, so it does at least stay put.  Forget about a nice lightweight polyprop/nylon strap, it will be ground-bound as soon as you let go of the neck 🤨

• Like 5

Eastwood plan oi reissue a version of the Guild/ DeArmond Jet Star bass. 

https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2024/02/09/eastwood-guitars-announces-the-jet-star-bass/

Really pleased I got one of the DeArmond  Jet Star  basses and upgraded the PUPS. 

Not sure about the "Bat wing" headstock.  I feel that the Guild 2+2 headstock looked cooler. 

Edited by JohnDaBass
  • Like 1

NBD: Fender Pawn Shop Mustang

Picked this up yesterday - a 2012 model apparently, but it looks brand new. Very happy with it, but when I got it home I realised that the pickup is set at quite a pronounced angle - ie it's significantly lower under the E and A strings, which I presume is why those strings aren't quite centred over the pole pieces. 

The pickup is pretty hot and has a lot of low end as it is, so I'm guessing this has been done deliberately and I should leave it be. But I am pretty clueless when it comes to anything technical, so more informed views welcome! IMG_20240211_120200.thumb.jpg.603d80d99c88b6eba80c8b032186aa62.jpg

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, Kateplaysbass said:

Picked this up yesterday - a 2012 model apparently, but it looks brand new. Very happy with it, but when I got it home I realised that the pickup is set at quite a pronounced angle - ie it's significantly lower under the E and A strings, which I presume is why those strings aren't quite centred over the pole pieces. 

The pickup is pretty hot and has a lot of low end as it is, so I'm guessing this has been done deliberately and I should leave it be. But I am pretty clueless when it comes to anything technical, so more informed views welcome! IMG_20240211_120200.thumb.jpg.603d80d99c88b6eba80c8b032186aa62.jpg

Nice bass! If it seems reasonably balanced across the strings, I would leave it where it is. Generally pickups are set a bit lower under the bottom strings than the top but there are bound to be some exceptions to the rule. You might be able to find some guidance on the recommended pickup height by searching online but that will be based on all other things being stock: i.e. string height, gauges, etc, which takes us back to: if it sounds OK to you, I would leave it where it is. You won’t do it any harm by experimenting with the pickup height though.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Obrienp said:

Nice bass! If it seems reasonably balanced across the strings, I would leave it where it is. Generally pickups are set a bit lower under the bottom strings than the top but there are bound to be some exceptions to the rule. You might be able to find some guidance on the recommended pickup height by searching online but that will be based on all other things being stock: i.e. string height, gauges, etc, which takes us back to: if it sounds OK to you, I would leave it where it is. You won’t do it any harm by experimenting with the pickup height though.

Thanks @Obrienp, I thought that was probably the case- I've just never seen that much of an angle. But it sounds great so I will trust my ears! 

• Like 1

On 11/02/2024 at 15:29, Kateplaysbass said:

I had my eye on that over at Bass Bros, let me know if you don’t get on with it they are an acquired taste. Hot af output wise, like a solid 9db louder than everything else I own.

I tend to run the volume between 1/2 and 3/4 if I’m using pedals or someone elses amp.

I’ve found this is the mustang I really connect best with, if the sound coming out of it is even then leave it as is, I assume the pickup has been lowered to tame the output. Mine is flat so likely running higher and hotter than yours.

Anyway my three, for now and a hofner thrown in for good luck. Maybe I’ll go back to playing real basses soon.

IMG_7748.jpeg

IMG_5447.jpeg

IMG_5441.jpeg

IMG_5444.jpeg

• Like 4

On 11/02/2024 at 13:29, Kateplaysbass said:

It's really as simple as if it sounds good it is good.

So if the output between the strings open or fretted at the same fret is balanced, and it otherwise sounds good, you should probably leave it as it is.

Otherwise making small adjustment while listening whether it improves the tone and balance or not won't hurt, you can always adjust it back to where it sounds best to you again.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm a recent convert to bass, having been a very poor guitar player I am now mostly a novice bass player. First I had a fretless Sire P7, then recently added a Sire P8. They're very nice basses although I'm not sure I'm a fan of basses around 9.5 pounds. I also have some mild tennis elbow after playing the fretted bass. Anyway, I have been eyeballing the Vox Starstream A2S basses being blown out on the voxamps site, and was disappointed when the red version sold out. Anyway, today I bought the black version for £399, the last one by all accounts, so it should be here next week I think. I'm not a total fan of the look of the body, though a super-light bass will be interesting to try for sure. I'll post a pic when I get it. Cheers!

• Like 4