Why become a member? ×

On 14/07/2023 at 17:53, ezbass said:

I saw him using a Trent with them, on the telly. Prior to the Trent, he was using JMJ Mustang.

I've had the Trent site open on a tab in my browser for the last week 😂 does anyone know anything else about them? There's almost nothing online apart from a few posts on forums.

• Like 1

On 02/08/2023 at 12:07, Dazed said:

This waiting lark is no fun, I’ve got two incoming, one hasn’t hit customs yet and the other was supposedly 48hr delivery with parcelfarce….. collection was on the 1st and estimated delivery is the 4th.

How’s that 48 hours?

Update: all week the parcel has been showing estimated delivery date 4th August. So, imagine my suprise and annoyance yesterday afternoon when I look at the app to find they’d attempted delivery while I was out for the day! 😤😤

Got home later to find no card and checking on the app the parcel

had been returned to the depot almost an hours drive away ……. Hope today goes better 🤞🏻

Edited by Dazed
  • Sad 3

17 hours ago, fretmeister said:

That's a nice looking thing

https://valiantguitars.com/collections/mini-bass

Really mini - 27 inch scale

Wood: Hard-rock maple, quarter-sawn, titanium-reinforced

Profile: C profile

1st fret - Depth: 21 mm/0.82" Width: 38 mm/1.49"

12th fret - Depth: 23.5 mm/0.92" Width: 50 mm/1.96"

22nd fret - Width: 54 mm/2.12"

Scale length: 27"/685.8 mm

Fretboard: Roasted hornbeam

Radius: 12" radius/305 mm

Frets: 22 Nickel silver frets, extra-hard, Jumbo, width: 2.8 mm/0.110", height: 1.65 mm/0.064"

Truss-rod: Easy-access, stainless steel truss-rod wheel

Electronics

Neck pickup: Valiant Guitars B-system single-coil

Bridge pickup: Valiant Guitars B-system single-coil

Controls: 2 volumes, 1 tone  

Jack: Pure Tone

Hardware

Bridge: Valiant Guitars duralumin Swift-RS-bass, quick-release, with bell-bronze saddles

Nut: GraphTech, 38 mm/1.49"

Tuners: Valiant Guitars proprietary

Other features

"Trinity" ebony inlays

Duralumin enhanced-grip knobs with wooden pointer

Full shielding

Duralumin cavity covers

Valiant Guitars hard-shell case included

Oooh me likey!

That 5er especially interesting. 

Edited by Merton
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Looks a bit like the early Warwick Just-a-Nut versions.

I wish they had the 5 string specs up. That really interests me.

ABM used to make a brass adjustable nut. Much cheaper than the over priced Warwick ones and I’m a big fan of Warwick’s and adjustable nuts but no reason for the insane price tag. 

2 hours ago, Dazed said:

Update: all week the parcel has been showing estimated delivery date 4th August. So, imagine my suprise and annoyance yesterday afternoon when I look at the app to find they’d attempted delivery while I was out for the day! 😤😤

Got home later to find no card and checking on the app the parcel

had been returned to the depot almost an hours drive away ……. Hope today goes better 🤞🏻

It’s arrived! All seems ok so far, well no damage anyway. I’ll probably do a NBD post but leave you with this teaser and another question…..

When you use cut down long scale strings I assume the tension becomes a lot lower due to the shorter length? Do actual short scale specific strings resolve this? 

oh and the photo may explain the string question , this was after 5 minutes max. 

IMG_3263.thumb.jpeg.5a2e3b1fcb27faa4d68037405b1dfe89.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dazed said:

When you use cut down long scale strings I assume the tension becomes a lot lower due to the shorter length? Do actual short scale specific strings resolve this? 

Yes the tension is lower due to the scale. SS strings of the same type and gauge do not resolve this (I don't see it as a problem, more a benefit), there's just less waste and potential end wrap issues at the bridge and tuners.

As to your picture; LaBellas?

Edited by ezbass
  • Thanks 1

Ok so is it a case of using heavier gauges than usual to get some tension back into the strings? I’ve tried low tension flats before and didn’t hate them but didn’t really get on with them either and for years I used 30-90 sets so I don’t usually use very heavy gauges. 

I honestly don’t know what strings are currently on it. I doubt they are labella’s. Look like some non specific stainless rounds. Bit rusty. Absolutely filthy. The neck needs a really good clean and freshen up. I’ll take some pics, the frets look like they’ve been smoking 40 a day for the past 10 years 😄

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dazed said:

Ok so is it a case of using heavier gauges than usual to get some tension back into the strings? I’ve tried low tension flats before and didn’t hate them but didn’t really get on with them either and for years I used 30-90 sets so I don’t usually use very heavy gauges. 

I honestly don’t know what strings are currently on it. I doubt they are labella’s. Look like some non specific stainless rounds. Bit rusty. Absolutely filthy. The neck needs a really good clean and freshen up. I’ll take some pics, the frets look like they’ve been smoking 40 a day for the past 10 years 😄

Going up 0.005 on each string seems to work (at least with D’Addarios).

I thought the black on your fingers was from a bland new set of La Bella flats (I’ve had that issue with them, when I’ve not wiped them down beforehand). If that’s just grim, eew!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Well the shell pink Sandberg Lionel didn't end up in my possession so I picked this up instead.

It looks like it's been reliced by Scooby Doo wearing a blindfold but it plays beautifully, sounds fab (passive electronics) and weighs under 7.5lbs. Love it 

IMG_5755.jpeg

IMG_5760.jpeg

IMG_5778.jpeg

Nice! What’s the nut width?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Going up 0.005 on each string seems to work (at least with D’Addarios).

I thought the black on your fingers was from a bland new set of La Bella flats (I’ve had that issue with them, when I’ve not wiped them down beforehand). If that’s just grim, eew!

Yep just plain old finger jam n grime 🥴

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Well the shell pink Sandberg Lionel didn't end up in my possession so I picked this up instead.

It looks like it's been reliced by Scooby Doo wearing a blindfold but it plays beautifully, sounds fab (passive electronics) and weighs under 7.5lbs. Love it 

IMG_5755.jpeg

IMG_5760.jpeg

IMG_5778.jpeg

Really like that!

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

IMG_5755.jpeg

IMG_5760.jpeg

IMG_5778.jpeg

Yes, finally!

I've always wondered what a relic job performed by Scooby Doo wearing a blindfold would look like, thanks to you I now know. :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Adee said:

@Old Horse Murphy that’s gorgeous, thought you already had a shell pink Berg?

Lionel’s really are superb basses, love mine so grateful to @scrumpymike

Ha-ha, don't remind me - especially given the way prices have increased since then!

Seriously, glad you're still liking it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

IMG_5755.jpeg

IMG_5760.jpeg

IMG_5778.jpeg

Oooft

3 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

IMG_5755.jpeg

IMG_5760.jpeg

IMG_5778.jpeg

Looks really good Sandberg do some really great basses (sold a longscale California beatsteaks) keep looking at Lionel's glad this has gone from bass direct now although they have a black/tort Lionel pj that's very tempting 

• Thanks 1

I hope this is the right place to post the following question:

After having had a go on Mrs. Knirirr's Bee bass* (23.5") I found it quite fun. But, rather confusing as it has 5 strings. This has resulted in some short scale GAS, but for a 4 string example.

From reading this thread it appears that the Ibanez Mikro bass might be quite nice and also appears to be a reasonable price. But, I must have flatwound strings - does anyone know of a suitable set? If not then perhaps I might bother Pyramid again; they made some nice black nylon strings for the Bee (BEADG).

Though the price is a bit higher, Squier/Fender Mustangs and the Epiphone Viola are also tempting, but strings for those should be easier to find.

(*) https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/339111-sold-fsftbee-bass-bay-bee-one-off-custom-5-string-short-scale