Why become a member? ×

So for purely ergonomic reasons I decided to part ways with my Guild Starfire I as it just wasn't working for me. I did however, miss the weight as I've got an issue with my hip that (although healing slowly) is still problematic. 

A few days ago I saw a used Spector Bantam advertised on Bass Direct and decided I'd go and try it out. I've never owned a Spector before but was attracted by the weight (just over 7.5lbs) and wanted to see how the bass would sit, given the top strap button sits a bit further up towards the dusty end than my usual Fenders which are near enough level with the 12th fret. 

After kindly being lent a strap to try out, I found the placement of the strap button meant the nut and lower frets sit pretty-much in the same place as my 34" scale basses so the Bantam immediately felt familiar and my hands didn't feel cramped at all due to the shorter scale. 

The bass is immaculate and I loved the EMG electrics so decided to take it home. We have our first proper date tomorrow but the way things are going right now, I think I'm on a promise. 

IMG_4828.jpeg

IMG_4829.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 22

On 26/05/2023 at 17:04, Old Horse Murphy said:

So for purely ergonomic reasons I decided to part ways with my Guild Starfire I as it just wasn't working for me. I did however, miss the weight as I've got an issue with my hip that (although healing slowly) is still problematic. 

A few days ago I saw a used Spector Bantam advertised on Bass Direct and decided I'd go and try it out. I've never owned a Spector before but was attracted by the weight (just over 7.5lbs) and wanted to see how the bass would sit, given the top strap button sits a bit further up towards the dusty end than my usual Fenders which are near enough level with the 12th fret. 

After kindly being lent a strap to try out, I found the placement of the strap button meant the nut and lower frets sit pretty-much in the same place as my 34" scale basses so the Bantam immediately felt familiar and my hands didn't feel cramped at all due to the shorter scale. 

The bass is immaculate and I loved the EMG electrics so decided to take it home. We have our first proper date tomorrow but the way things are going right now, I think I'm on a promise. 

IMG_4828.jpeg

IMG_4829.jpeg

I had one of these, same colour. Lovely basses!

• Like 1

On 26/05/2023 at 17:04, Old Horse Murphy said:

IMG_4828.jpeg

IMG_4829.jpeg

Love this - I’ve not tried one but have a Spector Shorty - similar but heavier (my go to bass along with the Mullarkey). The Bantam appears to have the more dramatic, and nicer to me, body contouring. Gorgeous - I need to take a closer look

• Thanks 1

The Guild Starfire 1 looks really cool, but can't help but feel the p bass pickup and position makes it sound like a lot of other bases. If there was some h style neck pickup or mudbucker, it would sound and look awesome!

Edited by barrycreed
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

The Guild Starfire 1 looks really cool, but can't help but feel the p bass pickup and position makes it sound like a lot of other bases. If there was some h style neck pickup or mudbucker, it would sound and look awesome!

But then it would just sound like a lot of other basses having a humbucker neck pickup, wouldn't it?

Also I don't agree, for one it is a short scale and semi-hollow body bass, which alone is going to mean that it will not sound a lot like just any regular P Bass, just because it features a middle position P pickup (which isn't even located at the exact same spot as it would on a regular P Bass, adding further to the difference of tone).

And personally I am a big fan of middle position P pickups, and to me it looks great as well.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 23/04/2023 at 10:48, ezbass said:

Played my JMJ Mustang and shorty ‘Ray last night, the Mustang kicked the ‘Ray’s derrière. What a bass!

I have a black JMJ on the way. I couldn't resist any longer after all the positive comments I've seen about them on here. The thought of a Fender shorty with a P width nut really appealed to me, so I figured I might as well get one now to give it a good test against the EBMM Stingray shorty. I've never shown any interest in roadworn basses, yet somehow I really like the look of the relic'd black nitro finish JMJ. Out of curiosity, in what ways do you prefer the JMJ to the Ray? Can't wait to give the 'stang a play next week 

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

But then it would just sound like a lot of other basses having a humbucker neck pickup, wouldn't it?

Also I don't agree, for one it is a short scale and semi-hollow body bass, which alone is going to mean that it will not sound a lot like just any regular P Bass, just because it features a middle position P pickup (which isn't even located at the exact same spot as it would on a regular P Bass, adding further to the difference of tone).

And personally I am a big fan of middle position P pickups, and to me it looks great as well.

Granted I am only going on YT videos. I do like P basses, but the difference doesn't sound as obvious to me in some videos. I would like to try one out though, play some Black Rebel Motorcycle Club!

Edited by barrycreed

1 hour ago, dmc79 said:

Out of curiosity, in what ways do you prefer the JMJ to the Ray? Can't wait to give the 'stang a play next week 

Firstly, it’s the ergonomics. The Mustang feels bigger than the ‘Ray and despite the more limited upper access, this doesn’t seem to be a problem, in fact I find the ‘Ray a bit cramped up there, as my body gets in the way. The ‘Ray is a great instrument bit, by comparison, feels a little toy like compared to the JMJ, probably due in no small part to me being a slightly bigger bloke (6’) and I really like the JMJ’s slab body to rest my forearm on, whereas the ‘Ray is much slimmer and doesn’t work quite as well (it’s absolutely fine really, it’s just me but the Mustang feels right). Then there’s the tone, whilst at home there doesn’t appear to be an awful lot different tonal difference with the ‘Ray set to single coil mode, but live and at volume the Mustang has more fundamental and pronounced low end, that you could describe as vintage, which is perfect for my current band and gives me confidence because I can both hear and feel it. The ‘Ray wins the weight battle easily, being lighter and better balanced, has more tonal options and is better suited to more modern production styles. However, the tonal limitations of the JMJ make me work harder to achieve the required tones with the tone control and hand position and I like that aspect. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Firstly, it’s the ergonomics. The Mustang feels bigger than the ‘Ray and despite the more limited upper access, this doesn’t seem to be a problem, in fact I find the ‘Ray a bit cramped up there, as my body gets in the way. The ‘Ray is a great instrument bit, by comparison, feels a little toy like compared to the JMJ, probably due in no small part to me being a slightly bigger bloke (6’) and I really like the JMJ’s slab body to rest my forearm on, whereas the ‘Ray is much slimmer and doesn’t work quite as well (it’s absolutely fine really, it’s just me but the Mustang feels right). Then there’s the tone, whilst at home there doesn’t appear to be an awful lot different tonal difference with the ‘Ray set to single coil mode, but live and at volume the Mustang has more fundamental and pronounced low end, that you could describe as vintage, which is perfect for my current band and gives me confidence because I can both hear and feel it. The ‘Ray wins the weight battle easily, being lighter and better balanced, has more tonal options and is better suited to more modern production styles. However, the tonal limitations of the JMJ make me work harder to achieve the required tones with the tone control and hand position and I like that aspect. 

Thanks for clarifying. Just looking at the JMJ specs & for some reason I had it in my head that the JMJ neck finish was satin, but I see it is 'Road Worn® Nitrocellulose Lacquer'. I am guessing that 'worn lacquer' is kind of fast like a satin finish, as opposed to the sticky-looking gloss neck finishes on the likes of the Squier CV & MIJ Mustangs? 

Edited by dmc79

11 minutes ago, dmc79 said:

Thanks for clarifying. Just looking at the JMJ specs & for some reason I had it in my head that the JMJ neck finish was satin, but I see it is 'Road Worn® Nitrocellulose Lacquer'. I am guessing that 'worn lacquer' is kind of fast like a satin finish, as opposed to the sticky-looking gloss neck finishes on the likes of the Squier CV & MIJ Mustangs? 

It’s definitely a gloss neck. I often don’t get on with nitro finished necks due to the potential stickiness (yes, I’m looking at you Gibson ES335, PRS Swamp Ash Special and Fender Roadworn 50s P Bass) but the JMJ is very well cured and reminds me of my old ‘63 P Bass and I don’t find it any more sticky than a poly finished, gloss neck.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dmc79 said:

To my hands it’s sort of a worn in shiny, not sticky in any way but not satin.

• Like 2

The Squier Paranormal Rascal is out now, apparently, with more pictures and info here. That Sherwood Green with Mint pickguard looks fab, though I think gold hardware would have made it even better:

Squier-Paranormal-Rascal-Bass-HH-1200x35

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bnt said:

The Squier Paranormal Rascal is out now, apparently, with more pictures and info here. That Sherwood Green with Mint pickguard looks fab, though I think gold hardware would have made it even better:

Ooh, I fancy one of those.

3 hours ago, bnt said:

Looks amazing, and apart of the just 9.5" radius fretboard, which I am not too fond of, prefer flatter, 12" ideally, all it's specs pretty much fits me perfectly, and that to a really reasonable price, that I would actually be able to afford, so really tempted at getting one of these, specifically that metallic green one I think looks absolutely gorgeous. 

43 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

the silk colours look right for the fender flats.

Thanks. I’ve read that the stock JMJ Fender flats are long scale (seems somewhat odd) & don’t look right wrapped around the E string post. 

I found a useful Mustang guide on TB with string, bag recommendations, etc. Seems it’s either flats or rounds. I have a topic on here asking about pressurewounds & half rounds, as I’m interested in that option for long scale. I can’t recall seeing anyone mention using those on Mustangs or shorties in general. I do know that GHS discontinued medium scale pressurewounds though.

It doesn’t look like there are many medium scale pressurewounds / half rounds out there, unless anyone uses the long scale equivalent. Anyone used pressurewounds / half rounds on a through body Mustang? 

2 hours ago, dmc79 said:

Thanks. I’ve read that the stock JMJ Fender flats are long scale (seems somewhat odd) & don’t look right wrapped around the E string post. 

I found a useful Mustang guide on TB with string, bag recommendations, etc. Seems it’s either flats or rounds. I have a topic on here asking about pressurewounds & half rounds, as I’m interested in that option for long scale. I can’t recall seeing anyone mention using those on Mustangs or shorties in general. I do know that GHS discontinued medium scale pressurewounds though.

It doesn’t look like there are many medium scale pressurewounds / half rounds out there, unless anyone uses the long scale equivalent. Anyone used pressurewounds / half rounds on a through body Mustang? 

I've played short scales exclusively for a few years now and have always strung them with long scale strings, mostly because I bought a job lot of strings when they were on offer years ago so I have a surplus to get through! I've never had any problems with using long scale strings on short scale basses, yes you end up with an extra turn around the machine head post and the E sting can sometimes look a bit dodgy as you usually end up with some of the fat part of the string wrapped around the post, but honestly it's not a problem, IME. That's 6 or 7 different basses with maybe a couple of string changes each. 

And as a JMJ owner, rounds all the way. Mine came with Fender flats fitted from the factory and it always felt a little subdued but once it was fitted with a set of rounds it really opened up the high end without getting abrasive or brittle, just more clarity and definition. It makes the JMJ more Precision like, you already have a subdued top end from being a short scale, why dull it more unless you want that 60's vibe? You can always back your tone off too!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bnt said:

I like the look of these but, like a lot of short scales, they've placed the bridge very far into the body. This always puts me off, because it negates what is, to me, the point of a short scale: a shorter reach to the lowest fret.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bassist_lewis said:

I like the look of these but, like a lot of short scales, they've placed the bridge very far into the body. This always puts me off, because it negates what is, to me, the point of a short scale: a shorter reach to the lowest fret.

To me that is actually a plus, so it doesn't get too cramped fretting the upper part of the fretboard.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

19 hours ago, bnt said:

Mmmm, can't believe that the ergonomic mistakes made on the original MIM, custom-shop Fender Rascal have been repeated on this Squier variant!! As with the original Rascal, the phrase 'form over function' springs to mind.

I quote from the Squier model description: "Other player-friendly details of this model include a short and easy-to-play 30" scale length..."

For me, this short-scale 'player-friendly detail' is completely cancelled out by the quirky body shape that adds needless weight, makes lower-fret access too much of a stretch, and places the plucking/picking hand on top of the bridge.

Which is why I got our Andyjr1515 to transform my Fender Rascal into this. That was a few years ago, and it's still the best s-s bass I've ever played 🙂

BiZnhqIl.jpg

• Like 13

18 hours ago, dmc79 said:

I’ve got the Fender flats on my shortie.

As long as the tuning posts are full sized then the string seems fine. On a mini tuner where the turns are so much tighter they can break.

• Like 2