Why become a member? ×

What do folks use for roundwounds on their Short Scale Sterling Stingrays ?

Mine came with totally dead strings, so needs a new set.

It was bought second hand, so I expected it, but don't have a clue if this uses a short scale set, or just cut down long scales ?

10 minutes ago, 2pods said:

What do folks use for roundwounds on their Short Scale Sterling Stingrays ?

Mine came with totally dead strings, so needs a new set.

It was bought second hand, so I expected it, but don't have a clue if this uses a short scale set, or just cut down long scales ?

Ernie Ball do a s-s 045-105 set that sell for about £27. These are OE on the s-s EBMM.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Musicman666 said:

i have a couple of my basses set up for standard drop d ... if i pop on a capo can i join the society?

No, the neck of your bass will always have two frets too many headstock side and two too few bridge side, and have an unusually wide fretboard on the useable side of the neck's length. ;)

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I realise these might be old news / not news / not even interesting 😁 to folks here but I hadn't seen any mention of the new Squier Sonic series Bronco basses?

Standard BBOT bridge and upgraded tuners (might still be like cheese though) and a non-maple neck option for the black bass fans among us. Obligatory pic:

gcIBHvN.thumb.jpeg.419f7f6a4f7f985eecc05c513f5bdea3.jpeg

I almost bought a s/h Bronco last year and have a Mustang bass now otherwise I'd be looking at these with a keener eye.

Probably the same Strat pickup in there, though...

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Obrienp said:

Interesting: no mention of it on the official Fender UK website. It looks like this one would be easier to mod. I wonder what the string spacing is.

Yes, I saw them on an Australian guitar store's site, I have seen them advertised in Europe but no retailer seems to have stocks yet. I have no idea of the string spacing but can't imagine it would be any different to the existing spacing. Mind you, it's Fender so anything's possible!

The Coral and vanilla white options look decent to me. Not that I need one...

• Like 1

Here's a couple of mine.  Only had the Eros a short while but I am a little bit in love with it.  '76, the bridge humbucker adds a touch of magic in the blend.  The HB PB Shorty had a new black pickguard shortly after I bought it and, just last week, a Tonerider pickup.  The pickup as transformed it.  I would say these two are going to be my gigging unit for the foreseeable.

IMG_20230309_093521.thumb.jpg.c0460ed3854a4289c33fead346878824.jpg

• Like 10

On 08/03/2023 at 17:56, meterman said:

I realise these might be old news / not news / not even interesting 😁 to folks here but I hadn't seen any mention of the new Squier Sonic series Bronco basses?

Standard BBOT bridge and upgraded tuners (might still be like cheese though) and a non-maple neck option for the black bass fans among us. Obligatory pic:

I almost bought a s/h Bronco last year and have a Mustang bass now otherwise I'd be looking at these with a keener eye.

There's something about the Bronco bass that I always found very attractive, something about the simplistic low-key basic-ness of them that i find extremely charming and appealing, and the only thing that I didn't like in fact being the two saddle bridge, which this version though does fix, and otherwise being a relatively easy and cheap fix anyway, and then it having a few frets too few for my taste, and those last couple of the ones it does have being rather hardly accessible, which still is an issue with this new version and an absolute deal breaker for me.

A shame, cause I love just about every other aspect of this design.

As is though I will probably end up getting one of those new Mustang, might I said improved Mustang, like basses Harley Benton offers instead.

When that is said I think these new updated Bronco basses are cool, and if it just had had easier up frets access I would likely had gotten one at some point.

The salmon one especially looks really cool.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

There's something about the Bronco bass that I always found very attractive, something about the simplistic low-key basic-ness of them that i find extremely charming and appealing, and the only thing that I didn't like in fact being the two saddle bridge, which this version though does fixe, and otherwise being a relatively easy and cheap fix anyway, and then it having a few frets too few for my taste, and those last couple of the ones it does have being rather hardly accessible, which still is an issue with this new version and an absolute deal breaker for me.

A shame, cause I love just about every other aspect of this design.

As is though I will probably end up getting one of those new Mustang, might I said improved Mustang, like basses Harley Benton offers instead.

When that is said I think these new updated Bronco basses are cool, and if it just had had easier up frets access I would likely had gotten one at some point.

The salmon one especially looks really cool.

For me the Bronco would probably do everything I need a bass to do, the lack of top end access and even a two-saddle bridge wouldn’t make any difference to what I do, but there must be a short scale bass out there that has 24 frets?

I fully admit I’m a proper duffer who sounds he wears boxing gloves when playing bass, mind.

1 hour ago, meterman said:

For me the Bronco would probably do everything I need a bass to do, the lack of top end access and even a two-saddle bridge wouldn’t make any difference to what I do, but there must be a short scale bass out there that has 24 frets?

Danelectro short scale basses have two octave necks. 

• Like 1

On 08/03/2023 at 16:56, meterman said:

we have broncos at my work and they're great. very playable and actually sound pretty decent.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, meterman said:

I fully admit I’m a proper duffer who sounds he wears boxing gloves when playing bass, mind.

The problem with the two saddle bridge is it compromises intonation but if you never go beyond the 11th fret it shouldn’t be too noticeable. The lovely Ibanez EHB1000S has 24 frets, lightweight and very good dusty end access. It also allows you to use full scale strings, giving you much more choice and reduced cost (compared to short scale strings). Why did I sell mine?

I don’t know about the two saddle bridge having compromised intonation , I’ve always managed to adjust the two saddle bridge on a 51 reissue without drama. And without intonation issues. Heck , I have several Dano basses with the wooden popsicle stick bridge and there is a sweet spot for that where the intonation is fine … with a two octave neck. In fact I replaced the metal adjustable bridge on a short scale 59DC with a popsicle stick because the wooden bridge sounds better. 
I grew up with Pbass bridges , and always felt the traditional Fender bent bridge was genius , but the other ones do work.

1 hour ago, msb said:

Heck , I have several Dano basses with the wooden popsicle stick bridge and there is a sweet spot for that where the intonation is fine … with a two octave neck

Honestly having played dano basses a couple of times, they are so thuddy I can't imagine you would really notice that the intonation is out.

You are never going to be able to set up the intontation on a 2 string per sadle bridge unless one string needs the same as the other one, or you can twist it enough to make it right, but you can get lucky with the strings, there are some basses with fixed bridges (and a lot of guitars, although not so noticable) and for the most part they are ok

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Honestly having played dano basses a couple of times, they are so thuddy I can't imagine you would really notice that the intonation is out.

I’m surprised at that, the Longhorn I had could be quite twangy when the bridge pup was dialled in even with flats

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Yeah, I would definitely not call the inherent character of the Danelectro Longhorn thuddy either, not the slightest.

Surprisingly full, and actually pretty amazing, sounding.

And plenty sustain too.

I am sure though that it could do a mighty thud equipped with flatwounds and a foam mute, but not how it sounds stock with roundwounds at all in my experience.

My Longhorn has twenty four year old strings , and they still sound great. It’s got one deep, rich, woody thump. I remember it could be seriously twangy with the bridge pickup back when the strings were fresh. I’ve got fairly recent LaBella flats on my other two Dano shortscales , a 59DC and a 56 Dolphin nose. 
I have a set of LaBella flats on standby in case I lose a winding or break a string.

• Like 1

They were made in various factories , it started in Korea with the Shinko factory in 98 ,I think they moved to another factory before moving to China , and now they’re back in Korea. So they’re all over the map.

That first batch from the Shinko factory are said to be the best , and they do fetch a premium price. My Longhorn is a Shinko , my Dolphin is Chinese (I think) and my most recent DC is Korean.
The Longhorn is easily the best sounding one. Oh the others sound good , but that Shinko is a beauty.